Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Could the VA take my IU rating?

Rate this question

MarineLCpl

Question

Hi, everyone.

I've posted and contributed to this board in the past and its members have always been extremely helpful. Assuming not all of you know my backstory, I'll provide a brief summary:

I was discharged from the Marine Corps in 2008. Initially got rated 50% for mental health. Applied for IU a few years later; it was granted and has been continuous for 8 years now. I was able to graduate from a college program through Voc. Rehab., but SC conditions remain the same. No improvement over the years and the impact on my life has been toxic. I sometimes neglect myself, no showers or oral health care for days on end. Literally tip-toeing around because I'm afraid of making noise and disturbing others. Urinating in plastic bottles because I can't bring myself to leave my room, and so on. The chances of me being able to secure employment, let alone maintain it, are slim to none. I'm embarrassed about this fact, but it is what it is. All my attempts at companionship result in me running away to wallow in my own misery. I worry about myself, and my future. No kids, no wife, no purpose.

I have days where I can't even get out of bed. Hard to imagine an employer "understanding" my reason for missing work. I've thought about pursuing an independent business from home, so lets use that as an example. I set up an office at home and advertise my services. I may receive work, I may not. Something like this could address a handful of my issues, but wouldn't suffice as a main source of income. I'd even take on free work at times, sort of like volunteering. My fear is that the VA would consider this employment and take away my IU rating, even though it's more of just a vehicle to an improved lifestyle. I remember reading that if your 100% permanent total rated, you can work without a reduction in benefits. Maybe this is what I need to pursue?

Something like this mini business idea would give me purpose, something to get out of bed for. But what it wouldn't do is generate anywhere near the amount of income I need to live on. I worry about the distant future as well. Because I don't have any taxable income, I cannot contribute to an IRA. This scares me. Everyone who works has a 401k, I have nothing. I've been putting money aside in a savings account every month to combat this, but I'm not utilizing increased growth potential. By the way, if anyone has advice/tips on saving for retirement due to these restrictions, please share.

Any advice on my situation would be greatly appreciated, and thank you to those who have taken the time to listen. I really think my idea could have a positive impact of my dreadful life. I really do. Have a great day/night, everyone. God Bless! 

-Marine LCpl

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I agree with you Gastone if a Veteran is not sure  by all means send in this form  your correct it better to be safe than sorry.

Please Note: the 21-4140-1 has change in 2018  

I notice a second page to it  but I think that is if the Veteran has return to work?

It seems to me I always just sent in one page  page 1.

but knowing the VA it's better to send in the complete form pages 1.& 2.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone I believe Asknod was referring to the way they have me rated as for as not sending in the 21-4140-1 he mention if I don't get the letter then don't worry about it.

SO this is basically  is for Veterans like you and I  that have other S.C. Disabilities separate and distinct from the original disability,  even if that was a combined rating lifting us up to the IU.  With the Separate ratings were MOOT with the TDIU P&T an adding the SMC's we recieve.

And considered 100% schedular rating.

That's a mandatory rating status.

just my opinion.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck, I don't recall for certain but I think there was probably a reference to the IU anniversary Date required the filing of the 21-4140 somewhere in the back pages of my IU Award 06/14 Letter. Not sure why, but I recall having one completed in advance of receiving it from the VA in 15 & 16. I actually had one printed out for 2016 but didn't need it after the bump 11/15 to SA at 100%. Jan 1 2016 eBen had removed all IU information.

6 hours ago, Gastone said:

M-E3, how did you complete the VR Program College Degree, online? 2yr or 4yr Degree, what field?

Out of the Crotch in 08, you've never worked a full-time job? Any Dependants? What other SC's make up your CSC 80%?

"You have nothing?" You mean other than approx. $36K Tax-Free IU Comp Income, right. You've never worked a full-time civilian job and have made no contributions to your SS Account.

What to do, what to do? If you're not already in, you certainly need to get back into VA MH Group or individual therapy.

When you're an IU recipient, part-time Reg A$$ or Self-Employment is still possible. SGI will come into play but only after 12 continuous months of employment. If your IU SC Conditions force you to take time off during each 12 month period, the Earned Income is irrelevant.

You need to remember you are a Marine. CAN'T shouldn't be in your vocabulary.

Gastone, 

VR college program was completed over a course of 6 years (2010-2016) This was all "on-campus" stuff. I dropped out three times due to SC conditions getting in the way, but was allowed re-entry each time. I was able to complete the coursework required to graduate in 2016.

I have worked a full-time job, but this was before the service. No dependents. Rated 70% for PTSD and 10% for a bilateral knee condition (10% each knee). 

The IU income is all I've had for the last 10 years. Contributions have been made, but only a few years worth. 

Therapy is something I would like to get back into, but I prefer the 1-on-1 type. Each time I've gotten comfortable with a social worker in the past, they always end up transferring to a different clinic, or moving away. This doesn't help my mental state as you can probably imagine. I already have plans to look into this once I figure out my living situation in the near future. 

Self-employment is what I seek, and maybe down the road, work remotely for someone else doing similar tasks if possible. The idea of having a purpose or some kind of duty to fulfill on my own terms is something I think I could do. As I stated in my op, I have some days where my SC conditions interfere with my life to the point of neglect. This is what worries me about being employed with someone else. 

Hope I cleared some things up for you. Regarding that income verification form, I haven't sent one for a few years. The last time I sent it, I actually received it in the mail. I've never been told that its mandatory every year, nor have I ever received any grief about not sending one.

Edited by MarineLCpl

M-E3, thanks for the get back. More is always better than less info. What's your Degree in, anything that can be the foundation of a Business for Self operation? VR Program could help with a Self-Employment startup.

Your 1st post indicates your pretty Fracked up. You definable need the ongoing MH Treatment. Have you considered filing for SSDI, that probably would come down to if you had enough Earnings Booked, pre-service, active duty and post service, but worth a shot.

Don't take a chance by not filing the mandatory VA 21-4140 or whatever the replacement form is each year. Way to easy to file and you certainly don't need that kind of grief and aggravation.