Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

please slow ads!

Rate this question

paulcolrain

Question

ive used this site for many years and you all have championed the cause for VETS. i applaud you and your service to vets......

as a returning user i see that your site is inundated with ads.

your site has become increasingly hard to use over the years do to your constant change.

please remember this site was for vets to learn not spend. i understand that we all like to make money but your site is becoming saturated people.

Given the past posts and personal attacks on this thread I've just watched from afar as people let their personalities show through.  Thank you for that!

Disclaimers:

*For the most part some of this doesn't affect me because I saved the new activity as my link on my favs bar so I go directly to new activity when I visit.

*I never click on top, side or bottom links because of the advertising/risky link issues.

*I use an adblocker so I don't see much of the garbage.

Having said that, given 1 of my 3 degrees is in IT and the 2nd degree is in MIS and I began designing and managing websites for my employers in the 90's and I used to own a website for Epilepsy awareness I will opine here a little bit.

Yes T thank you for providing an outlet for vets.

My interpretation of what Paul is saying in part is that the site can be very confusing for noobs.  Having viewed it outside of how I normally do I tend to agree.  T has said she's no web designer and has seemed to appreciate the constructive feedback.

There are plenty of web design fundamentals online, courses or books.  But what we learned in web design 101 and coding 101 is KISS.  Keep It Simple Stupid.  No offense to anyone because we're all told the same thing!  :)

Re KISS:

As humans we're trying to get as much important information out there as possible to as many people as we can.

Different folks will view how to catch the attention of users differently.  Ie - pictures and size of pictures.  Article headline verbage and size.  Layout, etc.  Of course as humans we have our own bias and thoughts on what is important.

I will add to Paul's commentary as I interpret it.  Yes, much of the article linkage looks like ads when I view the site from "virgin eyes".

The best advice I can give, one because I have no desire to step into the bitch fight, is this:

T maybe review other sites that you like, I appreciate how informative Ben and Chris' sites are.  Although they don't provide forums their information has a clean layout.

Often in trying to cover so many areas for a subject (vets in this case) it becomes too much information at the door.

For example when a person enters the site instead of being given blocks of: news articles, popular forum topics, etc maybe make those "topics of interest" so that the user navigates there from a link that then takes them to the page with that info.

The opening page to a website should be basic and formatted similar to a table of contents in a book.

Now for those that feel inclined to feel insulted, think I'm insulting T, or just feel a burr under their skin....with all due respect...

I made good money consulting, designing and maintaining websites.  Your personal problems are your own, so please leave them outside. :)  And I wish you the best T, web layout can be a royal pita!  God bless.

Edited by eli
grammar