VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VES exam

Rate this question

Oceanbound

Question

So a couple weeks ago VA contractor VES called me and told me that I have a few appointments later on this month and will receive phone calls about them. 

So I already have complated 2 of the 3 and not sure what to think of them, except more denials. 1st was with another PsyD and lasted 30 minutes, only questions, he hawked on my childhood. Which I read in another thread (didn't save it) here that was a bad sign and meant highly likely denial. 

The second appointment was with an audiologist and told her what my occupation was and then did a hearing test. Seemed the one I did 5 months ago, and was told that I have tinnitus and should get hearing aids, didn't count?

(Topgun) The stink of it was, he screwed up. No way. My old man was a great fighter pilot. But who the hell knows it's classified? It's all classified.

Any ideas? Tried to look up things on eBennies and it's down for maintenance since it is green beer day 

6 answers to this question

I would say not to get too worried about denial at this point.  The VES doctors that I met were pretty through.  Wait for your ssoc and then decide whether to worry or not.  As far as the earlier audio test it can be included in your appeal.  Worrying about a case only makes us more irritable and less fun to be around.  It also make it harder to continue with or lives.  I spent ten years in the process with two remands.  I would not be sane today if I could not find something to take my mind off of my case for a while.  Good luck and let us know what you hear back.  There's a lot of good folks here with knowledge that transcends mine.  

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Good advice from vetquest. During the years waiting for VA red tape, I took advice from an elder here and got a few hobbies to help make the time go by and keep my mind off of it.

Your PsyD may have already reviewed your records and decided to focus more attention to your early years. When I filed for depression secondary to chronic TMJ pain, my doc also focused on my formative years. In the end, she could not opine either way, but I ended up winning due to relative equipoise. If evidence is equally for or against the veteran, benefit of the doubt goes to the veteran.

If they bring you in for another hearing test, be sure not to miss the appointment. Normally they would request another exam if it has been a while since your last one or if they need to perform additional or specialized testing. Because your exam was recent, you might want to call and ask if they would consider using those results. You never know, they might accept them and then you would not have to go back. But keep in mind that VES is a contractor, so like all govt contractors, they are likely to perform every exam possible to keep the money coming in.

Glad u made it thru ur exams.  It's hard to say about childhood remarks.  The VA is so unpredictable these days.  Wish u the best and keep us updated.  God bless

Found who said about when the VA brings up your childhood. It was John999

When a C&P exam doctor focuses on your childhood and upbringing that is a glaring red light that means the VA is searching for a non service connected cause for your disability.   If you did not file a NOD on your first denial it may be tough to get an EED for your PTSD.  However,   if the VA made the exam you got the total reason for denying your first claim and ignored your evidence you might have a chance.  I think you may need some professional claims help.  Please never discuss your upbringing with the VA again since this is the oldest trick in the book to deny a claim.   I know because many years ago it happened to me.  Stick to what happened in the military.  Don't mention any other things that happened before or since military.   You might try and find a lawyer to help you with this or at least to tell you if you have a chance.  When you speak to the VA just imagine you have been charged with murder and you are being questioned by the police.  Would you just blab and answer leading questions or would you get a lawyer?  All this stuff happened to me with the VA, so I understand you trusted them a little and they showed you their true face.    I would definitely try and get the EED back to 2014, but realize you may be in for a fight.  A reasonable mind would grant you the 2014 date but we are dealing with the VA and with money they don't want to spend.  When it protects them they stick to the letter of the law. 

Anyways that is why I am here. Not playing their game anymore and doing other things to keep my mind off of it. Every claim I file or will file will have IMO/IME backed by it.

Them focusing on your childhood is pretty common (that happened to me at 1 or 2 psych exams). I was just direct with them and ended up being service connected. One exam I had, the Psychologist literally STARTED the exam with this statement "So I see you've had anxiety your entire life"...I was kind of shocked and said "No...." lol. I had told the first examiner I saw was an introvert and had anxiety before tests, oral reports, asking girls out, job interviews etc and I think they tried to use that against me. Even when anyone with half a brain knows those are all normal AND appropriate responses.

Do you have evidence in your service treatment records that show a disability during service? If you were accepted into the military and nothing was marked on your entry examination regarding mental health problems then it's a pretty hard thing for the VA to prove it was pre-existing. Even if you flat out said "I had anxiety growing up" but there's no record or diagnosis of treatment prior to service then they would still have to concede service connection or at the very least aggravation. 

Good luck and keep us updated.

Edited by chriscond

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It sounds like they are exploring Sigmund Freud's iceberg theory.

image.jpeg.4dfed56b84e62281ff7d8c93627d2185.jpeg

They explore childhood, pre-military, and previous experiences because they represent the subconscious mind which can impact the conscious mind. It definitely can be annoying when you need to discuss what's bugging you and they want to talk about your mother or something from ages ago. Before service, most of us were teenagers and puberty comes with its share of anxiety.

It has been about a month since your original post. Have you been able to get a copy of the exam results yet?