VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMC K or SMC K1

Rate this question

Okemos_Veteran74

Question

On a recent eBenefits page I saw that I had been granted SMC K1. I'm only familiar with SMC k. Is there a difference between SMC K and SMC K1?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Per M21-1MR, Part IV, Subpart ii, Chapter 2, Section H, this is the only info I could find regarding SMC K-1. I'm not sure if there is a difference between "anatomical loss" (as in it is gone) and "loss of use" (no longer works as expected), but assume whether you have K or K1 they are likely paid at the same rate. Other members may be able to provide more information.

K-1  Entitled to SMC under 38 U.S.C. 1114(k) and 38 CFR 3.350(a) on account of anatomical loss of one eye from 02/01/1996.

K-1  Entitled to SMC under 38 U.S.C. 1114(k) and 38 CFR 3.350(a) on account of anatomical loss of a creative organ from 02/01/1996.

Edited by Vync

I will "guess" that "K1" is K, because you can have multiple SMC K's, because you can have loss of use of more than one thing..its not "just" for loss of use of a reproductive organ, there are other things, too.  

For example:

(a)Ratings under 38 U.S.C. 1114(k). Special monthly compensation under 38 U.S.C. 1114(k) is payable for each anatomical loss or loss of use of one hand, one foot, both buttocks, one or more creative organs, blindness of one eye having only light perception, deafness of both ears, having absence of air and bone conduction, complete organic aphonia with constant inability to communicate by speech or, in the case of a woman veteran, loss of 25% or more of tissue from a single breast or both breasts in combination (including loss by mastectomy or partial mastectomy), or following receipt of radiation treatment of breast tissue. This special compensation is payable in addition to the basic rate of compensation otherwise payable on the basis of degree of disability, provided that the combined rate of compensation does not exceed the monthly rate set forth in 38 U.S.C. 1114(l) when authorized in conjunction with any of the provisions of 38 U.S.C. 1114 (a) through (j) or (s). When there is entitlement under 38 U.S.C. 1114 (l) through (n) or an intermediate rate under (p) such additional allowance is payable for each such anatomical loss or loss of use existing in addition to the requirements for the basic rates, provided the total does not exceed the monthly rate set forth in 38 U.S.C. 1114(o). The limitations on the maximum compensation payable under this paragraph are independent of and do not preclude payment of additional compensation for dependents under 38 U.S.C. 1115, or the special allowance for aid and attendance provided by 38 U.S.C. 1114(r).

(1)Creative organ.

(i) Loss of a creative organ will be shown by acquired absence of one or both testicles (other than undescended testicles) or ovaries or other creative organ. Loss of use of one testicle will be established when examination by a board finds that:

(a) The diameters of the affected testicle are reduced to one-third of the corresponding diameters of the paired normal testicle, or

(b) The diameters of the affected testicle are reduced to one-half or less of the corresponding normal testicle and there is alteration of consistency so that the affected testicle is considerably harder or softer than the corresponding normal testicle; or

(c) If neither of the conditions (a) or (b) is met, when a biopsy, recommended by a board including a genitourologist and accepted by the veteran, establishes the absence of spermatozoa.

(ii) When loss or loss of use of a creative organ resulted from wounds or other trauma sustained in service, or resulted from operations in service for the relief of other conditions, the creative organ becoming incidentally involved, the benefit may be granted.

(iii) Loss or loss of use traceable to an elective operation performed subsequent to service, will not establish entitlement to the benefit. If, however, the operation after discharge was required for the correction of a specific injury caused by a preceding operation in service, it will support authorization of the benefit. When the existence of disability is established meeting the above requirements for nonfunctioning testicle due to operation after service, resulting in loss of use, the benefit may be granted even though the operation is one of election. An operation is not considered to be one of election wher......

So, if you lost use of one hand, one foot, and your reproductive organ, then you would get SMC

K1 Reproductive organ

K2 hand

K3 foot 

Wrong. You'd get SMC at the (l) rate for loss of use of one hand and one foot plus SMC at the  (k) rate. VA would list it on your confirmed ratings as SMC (p)(l +k). I use the lower case (l) but some may misread it as representing the number one. (l) is the way Congress expresses "SMC at the "L" rate with a lowercase L expressed as (l). SMC (l) is granted for (b)Ratings under 38 U.S.C. 1114(l). The special monthly compensation provided by 38 USC 1114(l)is payable for anatomical loss or loss of use of both feet, one hand and one foot, blindness in both eyes with visual acuity of 5/200 or less or being permanently bedridden or so helpless as to be in need of regular aid and attendance.

SMC is like the Mississippi River. It even flows backwards in time to the day you first got that way. You can even pyramid legally. SMC is like an Erector set. You build it. You are limited only by your own imagination and ability to see it. 

Edited by asknod

asknod,

I'm sorry, i dont understand what you just said.  Would you please explain that again?

I have an smc-k for loss of use of  creative organ.  I possibly received one for having dioplopia that isnt corrected with glasses, prisms or surgery, but i doubt it because i was only rated 20% for the dioplopia.  

It's good to talk to you. I am a weekly listener to the podcast, and I have heard you several times.

38 U.S.C §1114 grants SMC at the (k) rate.

38 CFR §3.350(a) grants the identical same thing -SMC at the (k) rate in VAspeak. 

VA idiots annotate that in many different formats that vary from the AOJ , the BVA or even the Court. Thus, SMC K is identical to SMC (k) is identical to SMC K(1) or K-1. It is earned by the loss of one or more of six enumerated items unless you are androgynous.Then possibly seven (eight?).