Jump to content

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Heart Valve replacement

Rate this question



Hello everyone,

Just a quick question. I'm retired (March 2017) Army with 27 years, I'm also 100% P&T for Pulmonary Hypertension. I have a few other ratings, including my mitral heart valve condition rated at 10%. I'm now in need of a valve replacement. Should I file a new claim for the heart valve condition or just leave well enough alone.

Thank You,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Hello Peggy,

You may be eligible for Special Monthly Compensation S (SMC(s)) since you will have two 100% independent disability ratings for a while.  

You may also be eligible for aid and attendance during your recovery time.  (see 38 CFR 3.352)

I would submit a claim.  

38 CFR 3.350:

(i) Total plus 60 percent, or housebound;
38 U.S.C. 1114(s). The special
monthly compensation provided by 38
U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran
has a single service-connected disability
rated as 100 percent and,
(1) Has additional service-connected
disability or disabilities independently
ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct
from the 100 percent service-connected
disability and involving different
anatomical segments or bodily
systems, or


7016 Heart valve replacement (prosthesis):
For indefinite period following date of hospital
admission for valve replacement ....... 100

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

File an FDC for an Increase of the SC 10% immediately if not Sooner. All your PH and Heart Valve Treatment records are with your VMC, correct? If that's the case, the recent Clinician treatment note addressing the severity of your Valve is already available for the Raters Review.

The SMC S Award will automatically be considered when you File The FDC Increase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

File it yesterday, if you can not do so sooner.  Last week is even better.  If you file before the end of the month, you can get paid for June, but if you file after June 1, then you wont get paid until July.  You get paid the first day to the month FOLLOWING the effective date.  

Criteria for becoming a VSO:  Be clueless.  

It sounds like your VSO meets the criteria.  My old VSO passed it with flying colors!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Thank you all for the responses. My heart health records are with a civilian cardiologist so I will have to gather them. I'm not really looking for an increase in monetary gain but whether if it's in my best interest to file. Since my retirement the local VA clinic is my primary doctor but I kept my civilian cardiologist.

Thank you all again,


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use