Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA definition of combat activity

Rate this question

GnySkinner

Question

I thought I read somewhere that the VA description of combat activity included "Preparing for combat" as well as actively in combat.  I have looked for the legal VA definition and can't find it.  Can anyone provide a link or past the legal definition in here for me?

Thanks

It may be where Gny saw the distinction is when a person is applying for CRST or Combat Related Special Compensation. This does not require a person to be in the combat zone. If you are training for combat and receiving a hazardous duty pay e.g.; diving, jumping, demolitions etc, and get hurt during these activities, you may qualify.

The benefit of this application is there is no rating threshold to receive tax free concurrent receipt compensation. A service member can be retired and receive compensation in addition to retirement even if they are rated at 10%.

https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html

Thanks  EODCMC- you are correct and I just started to put the link here, but you beat me to the punch.

CRSC requires

"Disabilities that may be considered combat related include injuries incurred as a direct result of:

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

On 5/25/2018 at 5:21 PM, broncovet said:

Why do you ask about combat?  The main reason it matters is that documentation of PTSD stressors is lessend with combat Vets.  For the rest of things "being in combat" does not matter a lot.  

Broncovet, Sorry it took so long to reply. for some reason I didn't get any notifications that my question was being answered.  I have a C&P exam next week and the form that QTC is asking me to fill out in advance has a question on it, "Combat activity? Yes/No"  This question is not in the claim specific portion of the form.  The start of the form is titled MILITARY SERVICE INFORMATION.  Then later on the form there are sections for each specific claim. 

I have 8 active claims right now. I retired in 1999 and didn't know that I could and should have my disabilities reviewed periodically so this is the first time I have gone back to the VA to be checked.  So I have put in claims for:

an increase to my migraines (current 10%)

Reevaluate my back (current SC but at 0%)

kidney stones

vertigo

tinnitus

hearing loss

gerd

mental health

I have C&Ps scheduled for all except the GERD.  The QTC form for all of these is standard in the beginning, name, length of service, branch, served during (Gulf War in my case) and then the Combat activity Y/N question.

I think I am going to check YES based on the SIMULATED WAR information that Berta gave.  Everything related to my head and body is due to my 
simulated war" training. 

Gunny

If the VA thinks you are exaggerating your symptoms, they  label you a "malingerer".  

My advice is to "not" try to get VA to recognize "combat service" for boot camp or training even tho I agree that boot camp and training are massively stressful.  If you check "combat training" and you didnt go to a combat zone, the VA "may" conclude you are exaggerating your symptoms.  

If you were injured in an "exercise" to simulate combat, it would be okay to check that box if you made sure you specified this was a training exercise only..not actual combat.  

My son, who "Is" a combat Vet, gets irritated at people who want benefits for combat without actually doing it.  He isnt alone.  

I make sure I specify VIETNAM "ERA" Vet, not a Vietnam combat Vet in my stuff.  I got benefits just the same, in fact, I was awarded at the BVA because they thought my testimony was credible, as I have gone out of my way to make sure I never exaggerated symptoms.  Think about it.  

On the other side of this fence, Alex Graham "was" shot in Vietnam.  VA did not beleive him, even tho he had a gunshot scar, because medical record documentation in nam was very poor and went amuck.  It took him a while, but he was finally able to show he had a gsw in Nam..the VA couldnt even find Vietnam service!!!

That made him mad.  That is why he is the great advocate he is today.