VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA definition of combat activity

Rate this question

GnySkinner

Question

I thought I read somewhere that the VA description of combat activity included "Preparing for combat" as well as actively in combat.  I have looked for the legal VA definition and can't find it.  Can anyone provide a link or past the legal definition in here for me?

Thanks

7 hours ago, GnySkinner said:

My VSO told me not to put in for all my muscle and joint issues right now.

This is why many of us dont trust VSO's, and trust VA employees even less.  Why would they say something like that?  Did they tell their boss:

I know Im eligible for GS 11 right now, but I really only want the pay of a GS3.  Im not able to spend all them money I have now, so please dont consider me for raises, ever.  Also, why are you only having me work 40 hours per week?  I would like to volunteer (without pay) for at least 5 to 6 more hours per day.  And, who needs weekends?  Just put me down for duty each weekend.  Never mind time off for unnecessary stuff like family or recreation.  

However, the second quote is exactly what they are expecting of you.  But I dont think they expect to do what is in the second quote.  Do you hear VA employees calling each other "greedy" because they would like to maximize their own income?  But, somehow when Vets want the same thing WE are greedy.  

You should apply for each benefit you feel you qualify for, up to and above 100 percent. Dont skip applying for some stuff because a VSO called you greedy, while he complains HE did not get OVERTIME last weekend.  

1 hour ago, broncovet said:

This is why many of us dont trust VSO's, and trust VA employees even less.  Why would they say something like that?  Did they tell their boss:

I actually called my local VSO (in WI) to see if I could change.  I'm getting mixed information from the VSO's on that.  I filed in FL with my VSO there and am now in WI in a campground, I'm a snowbird.  I'll be moving in to a house in a different county in a couple of months.  I have been told 1) I have to stay with the current VSO and 2) I can switch but it has to be in the county I live. Unfortunately the campground and the house I will be moving to are in different counties.

When I first met with my FL VSO he told me to make a list of all my current conditions. I ordered my VA health records, created a 3ring binder and made copies of everything, each time I went to the Dr. for each condition. Each tab contains all the medical information, medications, dates I was diagnosed, tests performed, progress notes, literally everything I have on every condition.  

When I went back for my second visit he looked at the list, not the stuff in the binder, and said we should file for this and not that because these will be easier and these will be harder.  He told me I read too much and doing the research is his job.  Believe me that didn't sit well with me because I always research everything, even if I just want to buy a new flashlight.

The problem as he saw it was that there wasn't a specific diagnosis for "pain".  My knees, shoulders, elbows and back hurt all the time.  I know it is from the training, jumping off LAVs, going on 25 mile humps carrying up to 70 lbs or more, laying in a hidden location without moving for over 24 hours, and more, over 20 years of bodily abuse.  I know my shoulder is from an incident in.  Like a good recruit I kept my mouth shut for fear of being held back in training.  Absolutely no way I was going to sick call in boot camp, and now I'm paying the price for it.   It is well documented over the many years since my retirement, but not during my time in service.  But "pain" isn't a diagnosis.  He said since I was SC for back then we should apply for that but not the other pains.

Now I've read about a special review retirees can ask for called Gulf War Syndrome.  It is for undiagnosed pain and lists lots of what I am feeling.  I didn't know if I should request that or not.  I'll do some searching here in the hadit forum and see what people think about that.

You posted:

.... he looked at the list, not the stuff in the binder, and said we should file for this and not that because these will be easier and these will be harder.  He told me I read too much and doing the research is his job.

Even cockroaches run when the light is turned on. Ronald Regan said that the most dangerous sentence in the English language is, "Im with the government and am here to help you."  

Keep it in perspective:  YOUR VSO is almost certainly getting paid (directly or indirectly) from VA.  He represents "your opponent".  

Changing VSO's may not help and, of course, there are very good, knowledgeable VSO's.  This isnt one of them.  

Here is the trouble picking a VSO:

You have to pick one that is "available".  And, the trouble is the ones with a great reputation and experience are very busy serving other Vets.  So, when you call the office to ask for a VSO, they connect you with one who is "available" probably because he is either new or has a bad reputation.  The good ones are taken.  Switching VSO's will be changing one set of problems and faults for another.  Its like getting a divorce..sometimes you get a worse spouse than the one you divorced!!!  They are "fresh out" of perfect spouses, BUT, someone said YOU can change and be one.

You can also research and become a great source of knowledge for other  Vets.  Im getting old...and scheduled for surgury in a few days.  

Edited by broncovet

Gunny, your dellema is that you don't have your "STRs". The VA will get this information rather quickly and won't act on your claim until they do. 

Regrettably, it usually takes nearly a year for the VA to send the C file to you. If you haven't sent your FOIA request, I suggest you do it now. Your VSO should do this for you.

Therefore, you are pretty much in the dark when gauging the strength of your claim unless you have a very considerate VSO and will brief you. They can see this info, usually. However, they cannot give it to you in any form except verbally.

Hang in there Marine! From what you have told us, you are in pretty good shape. Just a little catching up to do and a bit of a waiting game. 

So what do you recommend?  Should I just go it alone, using this forum as my help line?  I don't even know what the FL VSO is doing for me.  I thought he got copies of everything I did and would be telling me the next step but he said he doesn't get the notifications.  I also assumed he could see everything available on line, stuff I couldn't see, because he had some special log on.  I do know he couldn't see my STR, I still don't have those either.

From my experience Bronc is right and has helped countless folks here. I would add, use the help you get here to gently nudge your VSO in the right direction. They have a mandate to help you.