Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Looking for a psychologist ANYWHERE IN THE US to perform a DBQ - will travel

Rate this question

hellfromabove

Question

I called another 30 psychologists in my area today and none would perform it.  I have called nearly 50 in total and not making any progress.

Does anyone know of a psychologist anywhere in the states that they have used for a psychological DBQ evaluation?  I am willing to travel.  Savings are running out, and I would gladly spend $200 in gas to travel to someone rather than waste another couple of days/weeks/months trying to get someone to help me out here.

Any help, advice, or referrals would be appreciated.

Thank you

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I sure didn't know this Alex

I always tell veterans they need a Diagnose from the VA Qualified Dr,   but if their denied  then they can seek a private Qualified Doc for a PTSD Dx??

Buck that is how I understand the 2010 PTSD regulations as well-

Alex the doctor should come and join us here- he might be able to make a fortune.

Thanks for the help everyone.  My psych problems are not PTSD related.  I have mental health problems stemming from my service connected disability.  I am essentially non-functional with near-daily migraines and am in a state of hopeless despair, as treatment is not working, I cannot work, and am currently living out of my car.  Filing this claim is a last resort when all else has failed.

I have a DBQ for "Mental Disorders (Other than PTSD and eating disorders), that I was told to have a private psych fill out.  Most won't do it, or know how to word it properly.  I'm going to research the names listed here, thank you for all your help.

A private clinician certainly can give an IMO and complete the DBQ for PTSD.

PTSD is a subset of anxiety DOs, which is a subset of mood DO's.

In addition, my decision states, and i quote: "Greater weight is assigned the treatment records of Dr. X as opposed to the benefits questionnaires as they were completed in a clinical setting and contained more detailed rationale."

Dr. X being the redacted name of the clinician whom I paid to complete both my IMO and fill the DBQs, to be clear.

I filled out literally hundreds of exam requests, including PTSD, as a VSR and *most* of them went to private contractors (VES, etc), not the VA facility, so if this were a rule, which it's not, the VA, itself, is breaking it every minute of every day.

Come up with a CFR,  manual reference. I'm not sure why this false assertion continues to get spread on this site.

"Service connection for posttraumatic stress disorder requires medical evidence diagnosing the condition in accordance with 38 C.F.R. § 4.125(a); a link, established by medical evidence, between current symptoms and an in-service stressor; and credible supporting evidence that the claimed in-service stressor occurred. 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f). The regulation pertaining to PTSD was amended in 2010. 38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f)(3) no longer requires the verification of an in-service stressor if it involves "fear of hostile military or terrorist activity." Rather, lay testimony alone can be used to establish the occurrence of an in-service stressor in these situations. The new regulatory provision requires that: (1) A VA psychiatrist or psychologist, or contract equivalent, must confirm that the claimed stressor is adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD; (2) the claimed stressor is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of the Veteran's service; and (3) the Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor. Id. The liberalizing criteria contained in the new § 3.304(f)(3) became effective on July 13, 2010."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp14/Files7/1454190.txt

This is just one of hundreds of BVA decisions that quote the regulations above-

"A VA psychiatrist or psychologist, or contract equivalent, must confirm that the claimed stressor is adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD."

Were you one of the 600 of us who fought over this condition?????

"A VA psychiatrist or psychologist, or contract equivalent, must confirm that the claimed stressor is adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD" 

Only 3 of us I recogized from hadit, when our names were in the federal register as commenters-  in the Federal register- but lawyers, VSO, and vets themselves questioned this regulation- highly due to the codicil above-

"A VA psychiatrist or psychologist, or contract equivalent, must confirm that the claimed stressor is adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD"

38 CFR 3.304

There is a criteria for what a PTSD  "stressor" is and it has not changed since I worked for the VA in 1983.

The false assertion you are accusing me and/or others here of

is within the regulation.  

VAMHs know right away if a stressor is not a real stressor.

I will see if your name is in the Federal register fighting over that codicil VA made- in 2010.

I asked vets here to comment at the FR site but, as I said, I only saw 2 names other than mine-maybe I missed yours and will check. It is still on line at the Fed Reg site-

Dont accuse me of putting false info here-

most of the time I spend on these issues at hadit-is spent finding links to regulations to support what I say.