Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc rehab

Rate this question

Bullycat

Question

I'm going through the process of voc rehab,  I have maybe one of the worst counselors I've ever met or dealt with and this is saying a lot since I've been in and around the va for at least five years.  My counselor isn't helping me with any thing not giving me any useful information.   I have a bacholars degree which I received before entering service . And of course was Injured while serving.  At the age of 32 my hip went out.  So when I got out of service it's been difficult doing any kind of work and of course I fell into default with my student loans.  My counselor is telling me I can't use the education side of voc rehab only the back to work? My bacholars degree is in studio arts at a liberal arts college.  I originally planned to use my studio arts degree as a stepping stone into a design field . But as it is now I have no job training and or skills in these fields and my counselor is pushing me to choose something that I don't have any experience in.  How will this play out? None of what my counselor says makes sense and I feel like she does it on purpose to make herself seem higher than me. But when I step up and ask a question she gets threatened and snaps at me.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• Founder

I don't have the answer for you but others will jump in. I did find these articles which may be useful as you proceed.

Below is from DisabledVeterans.org Ben Krause is the founder of that site, a disabled veteran himself, he wrote an e-book about the process for getting Voc Rehab.

VR&E’s New M28R: Know what They Know

How To Get Denied VA Voc Rehab

• HadIt.com Elder

Not sure if your Service connected for your Hip or any secondaries your Hip could be related to? , if the hip went out on you while you were in the military , if this is not Service Connected or any other disability condition that it would cause or be related to, if you have not yet filed a claim you need to do so NOW

I see your at a 60%rating now  IS IT FOR YOUR HIP CONDITION? you could file a claim ask for IU/However if you are awarded IU your not suppose to work at all...so this is definitely something to think about...if your Hip or condition will never improve, you being at 60% qualify's  you for the Extra Scheduler IU Using 4,5 (b) provision 

Beings your in Voc Rehab , if your counselor can't find you a Job because of this Hip Condition , they can write you a letter stating ''it is unfeasible to retrain this Veteran at this time due to his service connected disability's'' 

If you have this letter  you should submit it and any medical evidence you have about your CONDITIONS THAT would be favorable to you in a claim, Dr's need to state their opinion they have read your medical records that pertain to this condition and have examine you thoroughly talk with you about your military & that its least like as not this veteran medical condition  happen while in military and it prevents the Veteran form doing any type of employment.

You stand the possibility of getting TDIU P&T...IT PAYS ABOUT 3000.00 $$$ MONTHLY  &more if you have dependents.

If you can you could use some of the compensation to go back to school, also if your married and get the P&T your spouse/children will be eligible for education allowance and healthcare benefits.

Just remember if you can work and make more than the 3000.00 month...file for increase on your 60% if your s.c. conditions warrants ..and try to find a job that you could do that pays better than the 3000.00

Theres a lot of Veterans well educated  with Masters Degree that can't work or do any type employment and have to settle for the 3000.00 monthly income along with SSDI, its a living but look what they could have been making with a Master Degree OR Even a Bachelors Degree had they could have worked.

Something to think long and hard about.

When you did your VR intake testing (No Wrong Answer) to determine known and unknown area's of interest, what were the results?

Have you expressed an area of employment interest? Your hip problem would rule out most if not all physically requiring types of employment.

You can request a VRC change, depending on how far into the program you are, sounds like you should request the change.

You're definitely not, based on your above mentioned educational accomplishments, currently qualified for VA IU. Some sort of "Sedentary Employment," putting little or no stress on your non-SC hip, while providing Earned Income well in excess of the VA SGI $12,880 has to be readily available.

What SCs combine to result in your CSC of 60%?

You indicate your involvement in the VR program for over 5 years. If you've never successfully completed the VE Program, you have to be on your what, 3rd/4th VRC?  With each discontinuance of your VR Program, did you receive a VRC Letter addressing the unsuccessful completion?

Have you filed a VA FOIA requesting both your Complete C-File and Voc Rehab File? The VR File could prove an interesting read, especially if there are any indications of your failure to participate.

19 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Not sure if your Service connected for your Hip or any secondaries your Hip could be related to? , if the hip went out on you while you were in the military , if this is not Service Connected or any other disability condition that it would cause or be related to, if you have not yet filed a claim you need to do so NOW

I see your at a 60%rating now  IS IT FOR YOUR HIP CONDITION? you could file a claim ask for IU/However if you are awarded IU your not suppose to work at all...so this is definitely something to think about...if your Hip or condition will never improve, you being at 60% qualify's  you for the Extra Scheduler IU Using 4,5 (b) provision 

Beings your in Voc Rehab , if your counselor can't find you a Job because of this Hip Condition , they can write you a letter stating ''it is unfeasible to retrain this Veteran at this time due to his service connected disability's'' 

If you have this letter  you should submit it and any medical evidence you have about your CONDITIONS THAT would be favorable to you in a claim, Dr's need to state their opinion they have read your medical records that pertain to this condition and have examine you thoroughly talk with you about your military & that its least like as not this veteran medical condition  happen while in military and it prevents the Veteran form doing any type of employment.

You stand the possibility of getting TDIU P&T...IT PAYS ABOUT 3000.00 $$$ MONTHLY  &more if you have dependents.

If you can you could use some of the compensation to go back to school, also if your married and get the P&T your spouse/children will be eligible for education allowance and healthcare benefits.

Just remember if you can work and make more than the 3000.00 month...file for increase on your 60% if your s.c. conditions warrants ..and try to find a job that you could do that pays better than the 3000.00

Theres a lot of Veterans well educated  with Masters Degree that can't work or do any type employment and have to settle for the 3000.00 monthly income along with SSDI, its a living but look what they could have been making with a Master Degree OR Even a Bachelors Degree had they could have worked.

Something to think long and hard about.

Yes my hip is a service connected injury . I just got a 0%  for a bunch of secondary conditions such as feet , back, left leg. I got approved for a 10% increase for secondary hip bursitis to my opposite hip.  I was told by my vet rep that in order to file for an unemployable claim I must first have at least one disability alone at a 40% rating.  All my ratings are 20% does this sound correct?

• HadIt.com Elder

Normally a 40% S.C. Disability is correct to file for the IU ..however if you file for increase and had reach the 40%/60% it depends on the severity of the  disability  if that disability keeps you from working any type job even sit down  type jobs making at less than 14.000 year  then this is what the Extra scheduler CFR 4.16  (a) & (b) is for  for the IU for veterans that are not fully 100%BUT CAN'T WORK DUE TO THEIR S.C. DISABILITY   your up to 60%  that should qualify you for the IU if any parts of YOUR combined rating keeps you from working.  

you need to file for the IU they won't just look at your disability's and give you the IU/Although their suppose to.

you need a Dr so state that you can't work b/c of your S.C. Disability's

If your in the VA Voc- Rehab program & If they can't find you a job you can do they should write you a letter stating  this veteran is un trainable due to his S.C. Disability's those two opinions is what you need to get IU

If your counselor is not any help request another one.  you need someone who will help you work with you  ect,,,ect,,,,

Edited by Buck52