VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Turned down for SSDI but VA found me unemployable

Rate this question

Derrick911

Question

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

42 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I agree with Ham

but I do remember my sister never worked and she got the minimum of SSDI? AROUND 800.00 Month,she became disabled at 52 & she never worked,! or reported income

also if a spouse that works dies then the other spouse can file on his/her SS

i Never fully understood how SS is figured  some can get it some don't?

Phillip Rogers  Long time hadit member was the SS expert her on  hadit, But unfortunately he left Hadit.

S S I - meets the criteria for non work credits. - income limits and amounts you can own- save apply. His  VA may offset his SSI application...  SSI. The SSI program currently pays a maximum benefit of $733 a month if you are single or $1,100 a month for a couple. This is the total amount you are eligible to receive, but it will be reduced by certain other benefits or income you may receive.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks L

so this Veteran should be able to qualify for maximum of 733, extra. monthly with ssi or if married as a couple 1.1.00 month (unless that means both are disabled)?

Also my sister hubby was killed in a car accident and she now gets half of his SSR....Not sure how much? but he was on SSDI Converted over to retirement at the time of his death At age 68

Edited by Buck52

6 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Eligibility for SSA benefits is 40 quarters which is 10 years work history...................Found this link also SSI :  Veterans who receive a partial ........VA disability rating and limited VA benefits, may also receive SSA benefits. ... SSI Since SSI is a needs-based program, additional income from VA benefits ......will affect...... the cash benefit amount. SSA classifies VA benefits as “unearned income,” since it does not come from paid employment.Dec 24,

Edited by L
clarity

@Buck52 Widows benefits which I am also entitled too,  is usually 66% of the max amount.

Since I made more & paid more into the system my SS is more than my widow's benefits, I draw off of mine. It is always the higher of the 2 .

BUT when you are on SSDI - before age 65 - you continue to receive the same amount forever - that is the disadvantage of collecting SSDI before age 62/65 or whatever age you are eligible for benefits.

At retirement it just stays the same. I lost $500 a month taking mine early but.... instead of $2366 I get close to $1850 or so... 

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger That L.