Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD or CHRONIC adjustment disorder with mixed

Rate this question

Huston_fam

Question

I went in for a C&P exam for PTSD and the clinician put in his report he thought it was CHRONIC adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood.  The veteran definitely has features of PTSD but does not quite meet the criteria.

The claim completed and the rating is for PTSD not the other. During the review process the claim did say CHRONIC adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood but at the end was changed back to PTSD.

Is there any benefits to the veteran for having one over the other, PTSD or CHRONIC adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

25 minutes ago, Huston_fam said:

the clinician put in his report he thought it was CHRONIC adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood.  

You posted this and its "almost enough".  We really need to know if the examiner said your (depressed mood, mixed anxiety) was "at least as likely as not" related to an in service event.  

Its gonna be tough for you to win benefits based on this exam, unless he included the nexus statement, above.  

So, my advice is to check your medical and cfile.  IF another doctor has diagnosed you with PTSD, depression, anxiety, etc, then see if they provided a nexus.  

If you dont have a nexus you have 2 choices:

1.  Get a nexus statement, such as by an IMO.  

2.  Wait, and you will eventually be denied.  

No nexus = no benefits.  

• HadIt.com Elder

2018 The Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood.

would be Code 9410.........> ICD -10 CM Diagnostic code F-43-23

Check this link out as to how they rate for different Mental Disorders. Including Unspecific Mental disorders. 

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/mentaldisorders.html

My opinion the PTSD would pay more than the Mixed anxiety disorder  with depressed mood  depending on the symptoms but the PTSD  You can be rated10 % TO 100%  10% OR 30-50-70-100%

BUT THE Mixed Anxiety would only go to  10 %t o 60% depending on the severity of the symptoms.

check the rating charts for the MH Disorder they pin on you &  if you don't feel its the correct rating and have medical evidence to back you up  NOD the decison

Edited by Buck52

7 hours ago, Huston_fam said:

Is there any benefits to the veteran for having one over the other, PTSD or CHRONIC adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood?

If you have PTSD I would think you would want to be rated for it. I don't have a stressor and so I have Chronic adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood. Attached is the rating schedule that show from 0% to 100% for all mental disorders - taken from §4.130   Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders

9434   Major depressive disorder

9435   Unspecified depressive disorder

9440   Chronic adjustment disorder

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.    100
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.    70
Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.    50
Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events).    30
Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication.    10
A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication.    0

I don't know where Buck52 is getting his information from but it does not appear to be correct!

THANKS for correcting this right away Kanewnut.!!!!!!!!!!

The link Buck posted is for Military ratings- pre discharge- for MEB, PEB etc.

I even went to the BVA to double check- as these codes for MH have never changed:

", the Board notes the applicable DC is DC 9410, which is evaluated under the General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders. See 38 C.F.R. §§ 4.27, 4.130. Under the General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders, a 30 percent disability rating is warranted for occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and normal conversation), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety; suspiciousness; panic attacks (weekly or less often); chronic sleep impairment; or, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, or recent events)."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp17/files9/1760786.txt

• HadIt.com Elder

I just miss type the code # sorry but no one is perfect also the link I put up was from military made easy site  it says so on the link  and if there wrong I never caught that?

I apologize if this is all wrong information however  its corrected now.