hypertension

Rate this question

andrewdc

Question

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Mine was originally claimed as “hypertension 0% Service Connected 07/18/2012” and then as “nephropathy with hypertension (also claimed as kidney disease condition, kidney disorder) (formerly DC 7101) 60% Service Connected 08/17/2014”

Question -

Doesn't this apply?

Diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more;
OR .....
OR if a person has a non-compensable blood pressure reading, but has a history of diastolic pressure predominantly 100 or more prior to it being controlled by medication, and there is a need for continuous use of medication to keep the blood pressure under control—   10%

I would think that a military record of  readings in excess of  Diastolic > 100 (and also meeting the frequency and timing req's) and continuously requiring medications would lead to a rating of  at least 10%. Potentially more if the historical readings were higher.

I'll have to dig into this again, but I think my diastolic readings were in the 90's and no 100's, but I cant remeber.  My luck, I'll probably have two in the 100's and one in the 90's.  I might meet the 100 criteria as I was on active duty when I was ordered on meds (retention letter from HQ) and I went to a civilian doctor.  I was tri-care prime 100%, out in the sticks, nearest military medical facility 4 hours away.  I claimed 4 years later when I got out.  I sent in all records, but you know how that goes.  I was cleared for duty and the VA probably went with that.  

If I remember correctly, you needed three high readings prior to meds.

Thanks, Steve, for bringing it back to my attention.  So little time, so much VA crap to wade through..

Hamslice

I have wondered about this as well.  My C&P for hypertension is going to be rated at 0%.  My blood pressure was taken by QTC while I was medicated on Lisinopril and Metoprolol and I averaged somewhere between 85-90 on my diastolic.  I have been on blood pressure meds since 2005 when I had a heart attack, so finding un-medicated BP readings is just about impossible.  I then went into my VA vitals section of MyHealtheVet health records and in the past 3 years I have 4-5 instances where my diastolic was over 100, highest being 120.  You also seen a ton in the 90's.  When I get the 0% rating, I am going to submit those VA vitals records under a reconsideration to fall under the 10% rating of diastolic averaging over 100 before being controlled by continuous medication and see how it plays out.