Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When to file for Depression

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I have seen a psychiatrist two times now and will continue seeing her (I am expecting a long term process with her if not permanent). She has said I have depression because of my chronic pain from DDD (this is already SC) and it appears that I have had it for several years. I have indicated an intent to file for depression. My question is when do I actually file for depression? I have not asked my doctor for an IMO, but eventually will. She is discussing what type of medication she wants me to try to see if it helps. 

To be honest it was very hard for me to admit I needed to see someone for my depression, I kept telling myself was okay. I refused to see some of the signs, such as short temper, not wanting to socialize, zoning out at times. I always seemed to have an excuse as to why I acted like I did, but never for the real reason. I am lucky that I have never felt suicidal, I know many vets do struggle with this issues. No matter what type of depression a person has is no fun.

As dumb as this may sound, is there a time frame when one should submit a claim for depression? At this time I am seeing the doctor every other week.

Any opinion or suggestion is welcomed.

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Maybe I am missing something then. I thought you needed to add in all your disabilities (one at a time) and see what it adds up, I know its not straight forward. When I use the calculator listed below it shows I am still at 90% with the 50% added in. If I am doing something wrong please let me know.

I use the calculator located at http://www.microhealthllc.com/veterans-central/bilateral-va-disability-rating-compensation-calculator/ since it takes into consideration bilateral factors. The dollar amount is off but the calculator portion works fine.

Not sure about the list of disabilities you have - and good luck with them - but I 'thought' the VA recalculated the entire total of your disabilities each time one was adjusted or you added a new one. So, if you get a 50% now for D, and you have any other lower rated disability, then your 50% would be calculated first, just above the disability rating that is more, and just before the next disability that is less. I believe this may make a difference. That said - if you have a 90% DBR now on a single issue - never mind. Good Luck.

I thought it was like 70% 1st, then maybe 60% next, then maybe your 50%, then your 30, 20, 10? 

Edited by VN-Vet

My SC Disabilities - 

pes planus and metatarsalgia, bilateral feet (previously rated as metarsalagia, bilateral feet and now claimed as bilateral flat foot)    10%
left lower extremity radiculopathy affecting the femoral nerve    20%
degenerative arthritis, right thumb with disability of the index finger and long finger (previously rated as painful motion of the thumb, index finger and long finger status post right hand tenosynovitis)    10%    
Intervertebral disc syndrome and degenerative arthritis with scoliosis, spondyloarthropathy, and thoracolumbar strain    20%
left lower extremity radiculopathy/sciatic and external popliteal nerves(previously rated as radiculopathy, left lower extremity (also claimed as nerve damage and nerve damage to the back))     20%
right lower extremity radiculopathy affecting the femoral nerve     20%
hip strain left, with limitation of extension     10%
right hip strain with impairment of the thigh     0%
right hip strain with limitation of extension     10%
left hip strain with limitation of flexion     0%
right hip strain with limitation of flexion     0%
left hip strain with impairment of the thigh     0%

right lower extremity radiculopathy/sciatic and external popliteal nerves (previously rated as radiculopathy, right lower extremity (also claimed as nerve damage and nerve damage to the back))     20%

seborheic dermatitis    10%

painful motion of the little finger status post right hand tenosynovitis    0%
painful motion of the ring finger status post right hand tenosynovitis    0%

• HadIt.com Elder

paulstrgn

what is your current rating now at present?

you take that rating and add in the 50% and see what the calculator says? it should shown a 95%  and 95% is rounded out at the next higher % which would be the 100%

Paul:

Two things:

1.  First, as to when you should apply, sooner is better than later.  When would you like to get a pay increase, today, tomorrow, or 2024?  Your benefits wont begin earlier than the date you apply.   

2.  Two appointments is insufficient to establish VA benefits for mental health disorders, unless you continue with ongoing treatments.  Did your mental health doc ask to see you again?    Two appointments, then the Veteran never goes back for more treatments suggests that, whatever mental heealth disorder the Veteran had, resolved itself.   The VA is compensating you for SYMPTOMS of depression (ongoing), not a diagnosis.  If you were diagnosed with say, depression, but had no symptoms, the max rating you could get for it would be 0 percent.  

Generally, the rating structure is to compensate Vets for loss of earning power.  Thus, if your depression meant you never missed "any" work, then your raiting is likely to be 0 percent.  The more work you missed, the higher your rating would be, up to and including 100 percent, where you would be unable to maintain SGE.     It the middle somewhere, if your depression meant you missed 2 afternoons per month for counseling, but you got along with coworkers and family, then you could get a low rating, such as maybe 10 percent.  

If you were hospitalized for a month for SI or HI, and your boss fired you, then you are looking at or near 100 percent.  

Broncovet

I have been seen twice but it is ongoing treatment, I am not expecting five sessions and be done(I wish it would be done). I know, unless my health improves, I will need to go on a regular basis for the rest of my life. I do take sick leave for the appointments and yes I am still able to work. I just try and not talk with co-workers very often (which I can since I telework). I will file the claim sometime next year depending on what my doctor says, I am in no rush because I know the EED will be when I filed an intent to file.