VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 35 for Spouse and Children

Rate this question

Mitch242

Question

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but have been trolling for a few years now. I have finally been awarded 100% P&T with no future examinations, (before I was just 100%). Hopefully someone can help me answer these questions before I take the plummet and call the 1800-827-1000 number on Monday :

- Does texas have a tuition waiver for spouses?

- Can you use a tuition waiver and still receive benefits from Chap 35? (wanting to max out benefits)

-If your tuition is less than the amount of the monthly entitlement, what do you do with the extra stipend amount besides books?

-We have a 4 year old, how can I ensure that he is able to use the benefit when he gets college age?

-Do I have to apply for the Chapter 35 benefit now to ensure our son gets it in 13 years? Is there an expiration date for him since he is so young now?

Lastly, is there another dental option for dependents since Champ Va doesn't cover it?

Sorry for such a long list of questions.

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

As I understand it

when you get your award letter, the applications for chapter 35 forms are sent with the award letter.the dependents and educational allowances  ect,,ect,,,, you have to file out these applications for chapter 35.and wait for further instructions. 

look at this link below it may provide the answers to your questions!

https://www.benefits.va.gov/VOCREHAB/Dep_Edu_Assist_Chapter_35.asp

Thanks so much Buck! I really appreciate you for answering my question. I saw the applications after you mentioned it, and I am going to fill them out and contact them next week.  All of this can seem so overwhelming at first. I actually had an increase in panic attacks when I first saw the packet (before I opened it up). With the VA you never know what will happen after a C&P. I was more than happy after I opened it and saw the 100% T&P.

Since Chap 35 is paid to the student, the tuition waiver doesnt factor into it. Its a separate thing, between the student and the University. Chap 35 money doesn't go to the school it goes to the students checking or savings account. 

I have 3 children that have used chapter 35 or are using it so far and 2 more to go.....they don't apply until they are going to enroll and the college also certifies them (most universities/colleges have a va rep these days), our kids have scholarships that cover all their costs of tuition and books and use their chapter 35 and any other scholarship, grants, etc. over that to pay their rent, etc. because they do not live on campus.  Chapter 35 goes directly to them, not to the school, as was mentioned above. 

Thanks Seminoles

That's awesome that your kids were able to use the benefit to meet all of their extended needs as well. I can only hope and pray that our son has some type of scholarship as well when he gets to that road.