VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New here , just got my c&p result , what rating will I get in your experience?

Rate this question

Swag

Question

1. Diagnosis
------------
a. Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with a mental disorder(s)?
[X] Yes [ ] No
If the Veteran currently has one or more mental disorders that conform to
DSM-5 criteria provide all diagnoses:
Mental Disorder Diagnosis #1: Major Depressive Disorder, with anxious distress
Mental Disorder Diagnosis #2: Other Specified Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorder
Mental Disorder Diagnosis #3:

3. Occupational and social impairment
-------------------------------------
a. Which of the following best summarizes the Veteran's level of occupational and social impairment with regards to all mental diagnoses? (Check only one)
[ ] No mental disorder diagnosis
[ ] A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not
severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication
[ ] Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms
which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational
tasks only during periods of significant stress, or; symptoms controlled by medication
[ ] Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work
efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform
occupational tasks, although generally functioning satisfactorily,
with normal routine behavior, self-care and conversation
[ ] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and Productivity
[X] Occupational and social impairment with deficiencies in most areas,
such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and/or mood
[ ] Total occupational and social impairment

Veteran's diagnoses:
[X] Depressed mood [X] Anxiety
[ ] Suspiciousness
[ ] Panic attacks that occur weekly or less often
[ ] Panic attacks more than once a week
[ ] Near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function
independently, appropriately and effectively [X] Chronic sleep impairment
[ ] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events
[ ] Impairment of short- and long-term memory, for example, retention of only highly learned material, while forgetting to complete tasks
[ ] Memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name
[X] Flattened affect
[ ] Circumstantial, circumlocutory or stereotyped speech
[ ] Speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant
[ ] Difficulty in understanding complex commands
[ ] Impaired judgment
[ ] Impaired abstract thinking
[ ] Gross impairment in thought processes or communication [X] Disturbances of motivation and mood
[X] Difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships
[X] Difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances, including work or a work like setting
[X] Inability to establish and maintain effective relationships [X] Suicidal ideation
[ ] Obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities
[ ] Impaired impulse control, such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence
[ ] Spatial disorientation
[ ] Persistent delusions or hallucinations
[ ] Grossly inappropriate behavior
[ ] Persistent danger of hurting self or others
[ ] Neglect of personal appearance and hygiene
[X] Intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living, including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene
[ ] Disorientation to time or place

It is at
least
as likely as not (50 percent or greater probability) that these symptoms
also
incurred during military service.

One question for Swag- is your stressor (s) solid?

Hi Swag

It looks like 70 % but if Total occupational and social impairment box was checked I would have have said 100%. However the box for inability to perform personal hygiene was checked and that should be rated 100%. Not sure why he didn't check total occupational and social impairment was not checked.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Good luck 

I agree with unique11128, that your symptoms approximate a 70 % rating.  However, VA's favorites, are, in this order:

1.  Delay

2.  Deny

3.  Lowball.  

4.  Hornswaggle your effective date.  

I only mention this, in part, because about 80% of first time claimants are denied.  If/When these denials reach the BVA (some are awarded before then, such as with a DRO), about 3/4 of those denied will either be awarded by the bva or remanded.  This means the VARO, contrary to the numbers they publish, gets it wrong about 70 percent of the time.  

It is so sad that the VA does low ball or deny first time claims and then they wonder why suicides are so high. 

I don't understand (other than its their actual mission) why the VA does not start approve these claims when they know the BVA will either approve or remand the cases. If the BVA is demonstrating the the ROs are getting it wrong then the ROs need to change the way they make their decisions. I work for the federal government and if our appeals units are overturning our denials then we start changing the way we make our decision (we approve them), if we didn't we would either be reprimanded or fired. Why can't the VA do the same thing...the VA is really discouraging for vets, which is very sad.

Vets have enough problems without having to also fight the VA which is meant to help us...JMO

I agree with the 70%- as potential - and if you are not employed the VA should send you a 21-8940 to apply for TDIU.

But then again my husband was finally rated properly for his PTSD ( 100% P & T ) (1997)and they took so long to rate him, that he had been dead for almost 3 years before they made that posthumous award.At least they gave him the correct EED , 1991.He was 30% SC PTSD in his lifetime.

Also he received SSDI solely for PTSD but as a victim of VA's ability to 

"Hornswaggle"his claim, the VA told my two state senators and my Congressman that the SSA refused to release his SSDI records to them.

I still have those letters. I called SSA in Baltimore only to learn that VA had never even requested those records. His signed  authorization form for VA to get them was in his C file when he died.He should have seen his 100% award in his lifetime.

Another problem was that the VA claimed they never had any medical records from his shrink.I went right over to the VAMC, and the shrink gave me copies of everything and wrote a letter to the VARO as well.The award letter soon followed.

BTW the SSDI award was based solely on his years of VA health care, from 1983 to 1994.

It is one thing to opine on  a rating that we feel should be proper-but we can never determine what VA will really do. 

Do you receive SSDI and is it solely for your disabilities this exam is for?

Edited by Berta
added more

Great answer Berta,

In my case the VA sent two requests to Social Security.  After the second Social Security replied that they had no records for me!  I was dubious at first, but after checking the fax number it was evident that Social Security is as bad as the VA is some areas.

I always wonder why people think more government is the answer when the opposite is most efficient.