VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability back pay broken into multiple payments. Why?

Rate this question

Tango6

Question

Hello. I tried to find an answer to this question by searching for this topic, but I can't find anything similar. Forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been answered.

After 5 years and an appeal I finally received 100% disability. I am not retired and have no dependents. The retro pay came in, but it is not the entire amount that I'm due and it came to my bank in multiple direct deposits with weird amounts. Even so, it still falls woefully short of the appropriate amount. Has anyone ever had retro pay paid out like this?  Can someone explain why they would do this and why it still doesn't add up to the full retro?  Everything I read on this board said that the retro is a lump sum payment, but obviously it is not true in this case. I haven't received anything in the mail yet to explain the missing funds or the breakdown. There were more deposits than the ones shown, but for privacy I only copied some of them. This is copied from eBenefits payment history. Please see the pic. ***Okay... nevermind, I see that there is no way to upload the pic of the payment. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I  think this is a new one  I 'm, not sure who you would get in touch with  other than your VSO if you use one  or an attorney....they have access to your VBMS AND CAN GET IN TO SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?

Might try calling your R.O...

if this is a very large retro amount  it could take months to get which it is at 100% for back pay of 5 years. 150.000 plus (wonderful I am happy for you)... I know they have have 3a signatures but never herd of it coming in multi's unless its for claims they have decided and taking them one claim at a time..? make sure its your reto?  if they over pay you you will have to pay it back...

OTHER ELDER MEMBERS CAN CHIME IN PLEASE THAT MAY HAVE IN-COUNTER THIS TYPE PROBLEM BEFORE.

broncovet , Ms berta, ,Vync, Vetquest , Hamslice ,GeekySquid  ect,,,ect,,

Edited by Buck52

This is a new one for me. Even if the VA does a 'staged' rating, they still send the proper retro in one lump sum.

Can someone explain why they would do this and why it still doesn't add up to the full retro?  "*

I have had 3 audits from VA that were wrong. The Regional counsel Cued them on one, because they kept ignoring my letters to get it right.

Then the audit they sent with the retro was still missing a year of my DIC. I wrote to them about that and within weeks that too was paid. I am fighting another audit that does not make sense.

Did they send you any sort of audit statement? 

* I get updates from the Office of Accuntability by month, and they have relieved  many RO claims people, to include some RO VSOs and at least one DRO- so far, due to incompetence.

I suggest filing a formal complaint with IRIS.

( I assume that- if you were already receiving VA comp, you subtracted that amount from what they owed you under the 100%- to get the proper retro amount)

IRIS  ( i have posted this info so many times, I will make a topic for IRIS in claims research).

Another strange thing is that while all of my VA letters are updated and the disabilities link shows 100%, nothing else is up to date. eBenefits is still stuck at having the last progress as receiving my claim in June 2015. Vets.gov shows that it with a DRO in the "status" tab, but the "issues" tab says that 4 of the 5 have been granted. I hate that there is so much conflicting information and now this partial retroactive in multiple payments seems to make no sense. I just wish they would make a real effort to keep us updated. There's no good reason for conflicting information and eBenefits not showing any progress with the appeal since receiving it over 3 years ago. I know that they received my appeal with a year of the denial, so that can't justify the missing pay.