VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability back pay broken into multiple payments. Why?

Rate this question

Tango6

Question

Hello. I tried to find an answer to this question by searching for this topic, but I can't find anything similar. Forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been answered.

After 5 years and an appeal I finally received 100% disability. I am not retired and have no dependents. The retro pay came in, but it is not the entire amount that I'm due and it came to my bank in multiple direct deposits with weird amounts. Even so, it still falls woefully short of the appropriate amount. Has anyone ever had retro pay paid out like this?  Can someone explain why they would do this and why it still doesn't add up to the full retro?  Everything I read on this board said that the retro is a lump sum payment, but obviously it is not true in this case. I haven't received anything in the mail yet to explain the missing funds or the breakdown. There were more deposits than the ones shown, but for privacy I only copied some of them. This is copied from eBenefits payment history. Please see the pic. ***Okay... nevermind, I see that there is no way to upload the pic of the payment. 

That is very odd. I think you should ask them for a formal audit-via IRIS- I posted their new contact in the IRIS post I made today.

VA sent me a letter years ago to take to my bank for a wire transfer of a high 5 figure award.

I went to my bank 3 times the following month to see if they had received the wire transfer but they hadn't.

This money was only paid to me when I called the General counsel, who ordered them to pay me.They sure didnt like that , I bet. One day as I still waited for the wire transfer to occur-we had a snow storm so bad I could not get to my mailbox down by the road.By the next day I was able to blow out my driveway and get to it- The door of the mail box had blown open and the 5 figure check was inside, covered with wet snow.

I thought they had to do wire transfers for large sums.But what you got does not make sense at all.

Thank you, Berta. I don't know if this is the right way to reply without quoting. I will see if the envelope comes today. If not, I will call the dreaded 1-800. It's just so weird for anyone to make so many deposits to one account all all the same time. It's not just weird because it's the VA, but anyone paying anyone that way seems to go against common sense. Navy Federal is used to taking VA payments, so it's not like they would have had an issue with it all coming in one direct deposit. I will keep trying to figure it out and keep you all updated. 

Oh, BTW just checked Vets.gov a few minutes ago. It's not even a thing anymore. We now have to go to VA.gov. 

You might do better filing an IRIS inquery- the IRIS contact info is in a post I made here today- they changed that from the older VA web site yesterday-

As to the 800#, I hope you realize why we call the 800# "Peggy";

About 3 months ago I requested a copy of a ridiculous C & P exam I got that denied my 1151 HBP claim and then, after I filed CUE, they awarded it 3 weeks later because they violated 38 CFR 4.6 (had ignored my probative evidence).

All I have is how the VA worded the interpretation of the C & P exam- which might actually be different from the original exam ( been there on that crap before). Nevertheless they awarded very fast but I still want to see the exam and who did it.I have a feeling it was prepared by the guy who changes the light bulbs in the RO.

It contained no medical fact whatsoever, and the "examiner" made up some stuff in it.

I called the 800 # late Aug or Sept who did verify my 3 separate CUE issues were received ( 5 CUEs in all) and they verified receipt of the C & P exam request and said it would probably be fulfilled by Oct 4th 2018.

I called them 2 days ago ( 800#) and they said  they never got the C & P exam  request.(after telling me they did)

This is what we all have put up with from time to time-from "Peggy"

i just wanted to add to this conversation. I recently had the same thing, my retro was split into multiple payments, and even showed up that way on payment history one ebenefits and in my letter explaing my benefits and retro.  I have no idea why the VA did it this way this time, but it all worked out in the end.  I hope you find some answers in your case that will help put your mind at ease.

to the OP or anyone else who has had this happen? were ypu able to get ypur back pay sorted out? We are going through the same thing with an claim that goes back to 2011 and just yesterday got 5 or 6 direct deposits for odd amounts from the VA. Still no letter and no info online, but the total amount deposited still fall woefully short of what my husband is owed for a claim from way back in 2011. just wondering if the rest will come in at a later time or if this is something else we will have to fight the VA on.