Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DBQ filled out by treating physician

Rate this question

EarthSurfer

Question

Hello everyone, 

I stumbled over this site recently and joined immediately. Thank you all for your experience. I have a question on the DBQ's. I filed a intent to file and the VA rep gave me all the DBQ's and told me to have my treating physician fill them out. I did exactly that then uploaded them to to my ebenefits.   I also filled for an increase in a few other service connected issues. The VA scheduled me for C&B for the two service connected issues however I have not heard anything about the DBQ's filled out by the treating physicians. Can anyone with experience give me an idea on what to expect next for those DBQ's? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.   

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

When you give information to the VA it is like dropping it into a black hole.  Where you need to check is on the evidence list of your SOC which comes from the RO when they make a decision on your case.  If you are denied and these DBQ's are not included in the evidence section you have an appeal reason.  You are free to bring a copy of the DBQ's when you have your C&P but the doctor may not want them, just have them available if he is willing to look at them.

Hopefully, your physician (private?) knows about VA DBQ's.  As always, you need 3 things for service connection, and 2 of those can only be provided by medical professionals:

1.  Current diagnosis.  Must be made by a medical professional, such as an audiologist or doctor.  

2.  In service event or aggravation.  This should be documented in your medical records, and could be MEDICAL or not medical.  Example:  Your buddies can testify you snored loudly.  (non medical testimony, that is, "lay testimony".)   Of course, if you broke your leg in service, like I did, you can go to the doc like I did, and he documented my leg fracture in service.  (In service event).  

3.  Nexus.  This is a doc's opinion that your current diagnosis is "at least as likely as not" due to (event in service) such as my leg fracture.  

Example:  I have a current diagnosis of severe degenerative arthritis of the leg, which eventually required knee replacement.  As explained, I also have documentation of an "in service event" where I fractured my leg.  Lastly, I need a nexus, where the doc says its "at least as likely as not" my leg fracture in service caused my degenerative arthritis and eventual TKR.  However, I lack such a nexus statement, and am NOT service connected for my knee issue.  REason:  It would cost me about 2000 dollars for an IMO to provide this nexus.  Since Im already at 100 percent for other issues, I dont want to pay 2000 dollars which does not result in additional benefits, so I leave that sleeping dog lay, until I "needed" to wake up that dog.  

First off thank you for your input extremely valued.  Well all my DBQ's submitted were for already service connected issues however they were for increases. The VA has already scheduled me for appointments for the issues that were new and had no DBQ's. I hope that makes sense. I guess I am just wondering why the VA hasnt scheduled appointments for the other items that I submitted DBQ's for. I had read that they may use those DBQ's to make a decision I was hoping someone had the same issue. Thank you again for the wisdom passed.  

I am having my neurologist fill out the DMQ and from what I heard, if you have a DMQ filled out and submitted with your claim then the VA may not need a C&P and they would simply use the DMQ that you provided. As we all know, the VA is not always accurate with their processes so you might have a smooth process or they may say you need a C&P. My best guess is if you submitted DMQs and they are not setting you up with C&Ps for the ones you provided DMQs for then the DMQs will suffice. Be aware that not all questions are answered on a DMQ. It is nice to have other statements from the doctor to attach to the files such as this is in my opinion SC related or more likely than not etc. I am going through a Sleep Apnea claim and already preparing for a denial and appeal so i am having my DMQ completed and written statements from people I know and doctors relating it to PTSD secondary and the fact that the CPAP BIPAP machine is necessary required treatment.

Welcome aboard, and as stated the VA can do 1 or the other, or both. On my last claim for my Back, submitted the DBQ and still had 2 exams. Really hard to say, but having filled out DBQs to submit as evidence does go a long way in good evidence. I have submitted quite a few DBQs, and with that hard Medical Evidence makes it harder for the VA Rater to try to go around what the Examiner or the Regs say. Good luck and God Bless