Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

De resident

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

Being a Delaware resident I have been finding it extremely hard to afford childcare while I go to my appointments now they want to send me for 12 hours a week if so their is no way to afford daycare in this area with my va disability and SSdI as my budget even with my wife working PT. So I reached out to the VA they said they can’t help and reached out to the whoever since I’m a Poly trauma patient there can’t remeber think it was the chaplain. But they said they have no idea So I’m forced to bring two kids two to three times a week to these appointments trying to avoid them being sick they said reach out to the state social services. I just received notice I was denied services even after wrote in a letter he needed me to be in treatment 12 hours a week and needed childcare part time. The denial stated nothing about my doctor special need said our income was too much my VA disability was used against me as my income and they should no deductions like my mortgage I can fight this see how long it takes could take months, but by the time I done with the fight it could be a year and then my oldest will be in public school. Does this sound right using my disability as income for state benefits? It’s very aggravating barely getting by paying a mortgage and being told I make to much, as if being disabled doesn’t have medical costs with it which aren’t even taken into account not even food was counted as being a need for. The family of four just utilities and the mortgage, good thing I go to church with my stated districts representative...

Edited by jfrei

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Well, yes, your state CAN count VA disabiliity income against you for social programs.  Each state has their own policy on this, and the VA does not control that.  

There are some states where VA disability and social security, can be lived on easily, where others its very difficult.  My house payment is less than 600 per month, so its fairly easy to live on VA plus social secuirity.  

One solution is for you to move to a place where its cheaper to live.  Most places in the midwest are fairly cheap, while California, Hawaii, and on the east coast are expensive.  Maybe you dont want to move..and that is a different issue.  You can choose to stay in a place where it costs a lot to live, or you can choose to move to an area where its not so expensive.  I would like to move back to Colorado, but its much less expensive here in the midwest.  

Yes, moving can be difficult.  I want to move back to Idaho but I have kids here and all of my doctors.  That is something you have to think about when thinking about moving.  Can I get the same medical care where I am looking to move to?  Unfortunately having a major disability we have to consider this too.

Looking at moving to SC mortgage went up again starting on the Jan  first it goes to 2398 for our 4 bedroom home.... and that’s with a VA loan 

I sure wouldnt want to pay a 2400 dollar mortgage payment on VA and Social security income.  Its no wonder you are stressed...burdened with that big of a house payment.  I have no idea how much your spouse makes, but unless she is making big bucks, you are probably putting out way too high of a percent of your income on housing.  As I explained, my house payment is about 1/4th of yours at under 600.  You may be living in a home that is above your means.  I have done it before, and I dont ever want to go back there.  In the midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Tenn, kentucky, Iowa, etc. etc), you can find a pretty nice home for under 100k.   On my street, you can buy pretty much any one of these homes for under 80k or less.  Dont offer 80k for mine, or you will own it quick!   I have an all brick 3 bedroom home with a 2 car oversize garage and a basement.  Its plenty of house for us, tho there are things I would like to improve.  It has central heat and air, low heat bills, low electric.  About 120 per month covers electric and gas year round.  I have very low traffic in my city, yet I have most city conviences, tho we lost our SEARS store.  There is a Sears about 15 miles away, and Im about 5 miles from my VAMC.  

You may be happier if you "downsize" your home to one more affordable.  I know I sure would not want a 2400 house payment.  

That’s what me and the spouse have been discussing she has a partime job making just under 29k a year so not horrible for a part time worker. But definitely stressful living just nobody has an accident and with me it’s not wondering if it’s a mater of when... 

13 minutes ago, jfrei said:

That’s what me and the spouse have been discussing she has a partime job making just under 29k a year so not horrible for a part time worker. But definitely stressful living just nobody has an accident and with me it’s not wondering if it’s a mater of when... 

I thought your wife was also your caregiver? Does she not receive income for that as well?