Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

bilateral factor question for IU

Rate this question

51b20

Question

Hello, this is my first post. 

I am  trying  to find out if I qualify to put in  for IU with my current  ratings.

Also, I want to file a claim for depression  as a secondary  to these ratings, but I am not sure what I should do first.

Thanks.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

On 7/16/2019 at 3:24 AM, 51b20 said:

Entitlement to individual unemployability is denied because you have not been found unable to
secure or follow a substantially gainful occupation as a result of service connected disabilities.
You are considered capable of gainful employment

They want something more than just the qualifying disabilities. Perhaps a doctor stating you can't work or a VR&E letter stating you can't work.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:15 AM, 51b20 said:

I want to file a claim for depression  as a secondary

I had a doctor of mine to write a letter stating that my depression was caused by my chronic pain.

Good advice so far.  You can file as many contentions as you wish on your claim.  If you are denied for IU see about getting evaluated by voc rehab as kanewnut stated.  If they say you cannot work this is strong evidence.  Also have you filed for social security?  They will usually have an employment expert make a determination on your ability to work.  This carries as strong evidence for IU.  I also went in with an IMO that stated that I could not work due to my service connected disabilities.  If you get an IMO that is positive go straight to the BVA with your appeal.  Asknod advises this as it gives the BVA an out on awarding you IU.  Also read the CFR's that they used to deny IU and see if there is anything in there that can be turned to your favor in an appeal.