VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims examiner may have made a mistake...

Rate this question

ToddG

Question

Greetings! I've been lurking here for a bit and have been the beneficiary of quite a bit of good information. Now I have a question specific to my claim that I don't see answered anywhere else.

Here's a quick synopsis of my claim:

SSDI approved; 13 DEC 16

Intent to file VAD; 22 MAY 17

Completed filing; 14 MAY 18 claiming four disabilities (cervical spine arthritis / left hip arthritis / L&R shoulder bursitis and tendonitis) and IU   

Received first rating decision; 31 OCT 18 - left hip denied / left shoulder approved @ 20% / right shoulder and neck deferred / IU denied, but VA acknowledges I am unemployable but due to NSC disabilities

Received second rating decision; 27 NOV 18 - cervical spine approved @ 30% / right shoulder approved @ 20% / C&P examiner added right upper extremity radiculopathy @ 40% (surprise!) so, VA math - 40+30+20+20 = 80%, and all back pay received

But my IU claim was left in the dust, and I'm thinking it should have been re-opened.

Called today and spoke to Peggy - she filed for a reconsideration of IU based on new rating decision and agreed it should have been held open till deferred items were decided. She said it should reappear on ebenefits within 30 days, and call back if it doesn't

My question is: Should I do anything else right now, or just wait the 30 days and see what happens? Plenty of time for a NOD later.

How does this all look? Complete claim as far as anyone can tell?

Edited by ToddG

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I know it is tough but wait for the BBE.  If you get really desperate you can check under Vets.gov and check to see if the claim is closed.  It will usually tell if the decision is granted or denied.

16 minutes ago, vetquest said:

I know it is tough but wait for the BBE.  If you get really desperate you can check under Vets.gov and check to see if the claim is closed.  It will usually tell if the decision is granted or denied.

Thanks, vetquest. My case may be unique in that I was initially approved for more than I expected (I expected 30-50% and got 80%). If I get TDIU it's an unexpected bonus. So, I have zero stress about what happens and when it happens. I check ebenefits frequently so I can try to see what's happening without missing anything for the sole purpose of posting it here. Maybe what I learn can help a brother or sister who is stressing out. I've received a lot from the veteran's community - I hope to give back in some small way.

Moved to "Complete" today. Ebenefits says the BBE is on the way, but so far there's no change in VA letters or effective benefit date.

Edited by ToddG

• HadIt.com Elder

ToddG

Hopefully the BBE will have exactly what you want in it.

Just have a Plan B ready in case it don't , but it sounds favorable to me.