VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA wanting veterans priv insurance info, is this SOP?

Rate this question

LSGi

Question

regarding veterans with 100+% SC disabilities, is it ok to give VA one's civilian medical insurance card information when they ask for it?  i don't know, which is why i ask. recently made use of the "choice program" for SC procedures/tests that that is covered along with no co-pay. and now i get phone calls from VA to home phone wanting my civilian insurance info. may be a nothing burger, but wanted to get advice/educated on this.

5 hours ago, Sgt. Wilky said:

I always thought it was immoral for the VA to bill medicare or my private insurance for ailments. They owe, they should pay. "Big Insurance" or not, the VA is good at passing the buck, and this is another prime example of them not taking responsibility for their promises.

Sgt. Wilky

this is why i posted my question as i have similar thoughts. i don't see how my medicare supplement would be willing to pay for my VA SC issues when i see VA. i see why when i go to a civilian doctor or civilian treatment but not when i go to VA. recently had to use Choice. and now they want this info. just seems like a round-robin pay shuffle game. since its a medicare supplement i guess somewhere there is a rule/law the company will pay but i don't see how they could keep their books straight or make a profit. i pay the premiums, seems VA has a way to piggyback on that.

3 hours ago, Buck52 said:

We have to report any health insurance we get to the VA and that includes medicare, They will bill them a part  but not all  I think VA foots most of the health bill but the others pay a part too. ..I don't know why.....I drop my supplemental I had after I got on medicare...I  may pick it back up if my health gets worse like Heart problems or any VA Specialty clinics   b/c I want private care for that.

so we "have to" report this? i didn't know. if not for medicare supplement i'd still be told by va they don't see my problems but "something" is there. civilian docs diagnosed it in no time. glad i got the supplement as va really doesn't want to treat/pay for incurable service connected things as they tend to cost more as we get older. most times i feel like the can that gets kicked down the road after va visits. residuals from dealing with them over the years i guess.  thanks for reply and letting me know.

3 hours ago, doc25 said:

I use my health insurance. I figured if I have employer health insurance, the least I could do, is use it so my insurance can pay some of the VA services. VA can take care of another veteran that is homeless and unemployed that doesn't have insurance.

But, that's just me. 

makes sense and i agree to some degree. i guess what gets me a bit, is the god awful amount of money & time va spends to NOT pay compensation when verifiable evidence is presented. then  after a lifetime fighting for that, you get it, then you can afford a monthly premium, and they want to jump on that and use it to save them money.

i'm replying to everyone but for some reason i don't see my replies...

• HadIt.com Elder

If your not sure what to do check with your Hospital Director Office  The person at the desk should be able to clear this up..this is what I did what I did when I got on medicare...they take your medicare card and run it through a machine that detects the code on these new medicare cards, also each clinic you report to show them your medicare card and any supplement cards you have.

After that I am not sure how they charge each other  but I think VA pays Most of your health care if done at the VA, They do charge medicare a certain % its pretty low I think but its just to help offset the high cost from the VA. (JMO)

4 hours ago, Buck52 said:

If your not sure what to do check with your Hospital Director Office  The person at the desk should be able to clear this up..this is what I did what I did when I got on medicare...they take your medicare card and run it through a machine that detects the code on these new medicare cards, also each clinic you report to show them your medicare card and any supplement cards you have.

After that I am not sure how they charge each other  but I think VA pays Most of your health care if done at the VA, They do charge medicare a certain % its pretty low I think but its just to help offset the high cost from the VA. (JMO)

It wouldn't hurt to file an FOIA with VHA to find out that sort of info. Worst they can say is no. I'll look into it. Might be awhile though.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Back when I was exploring this, I was told the VA typically will try to bill private health insurance companies. However, they are not supposed to bill for treatment of SC disabilities.

Earlier this year, I was sent by the VA via the choice program to a non-VA doctor to have a procedure performed. The VA paid the bill for the doctor. However, they did not pay for the CRNA and anesthesiologist bills. I just got those in the mail the other day. I had to call my VAMC's community care office and they are going to look into it. I also called the billing agency and let them know so I would not receive any nastygrams in the mail. It will probably take them forever to get it all sorted out.

Edited by Vync