VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Life Insurance for Surviving Spouse

Rate this question

Ann Bracey

Question

As spouse receiving DIC can I qualify for Life Insurance through VA? If so, where to look at options? Please don't tell me EBenefits or IRIS I can not even get through the system. Yes, I can log in to EBenefits but that is all I can do. When going through IRIS it always asks for Veteran's zip code and unless heaven has zip code don 't know what to do. Adding that if I say general question it still asks the same.

Any help?

Thanks

Ann Bracey

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Ann

I looked and did not see any life insurance coverage through VA for spouses receiving DIC.  

The "only" life insurance FOR VETS that is at no cost is the first 10,000 in coverage for disabled Veterans who are eligible for waiver of premiums.  All the other insurance has to be paid for.  

For that reason, you may consider purchasing life insurance "other than through VA".  It could actually be less expensive than through VA.  Of course, I dont know your age and health and that will have a great affect on the life insurance coverage available to you.  

IF you are over 65 but under 80, then you may have to get "guaranteed issue" life insurance unless you are in exceptionally good health.  Guaranteed issue insurance is generally for those 60 to 85 or with health conditions where they cant get "regular" life insurance.  The guaranteed issue insurance is generally a low face amount, usually under 25,000, and your beneficiary would only get "return of premiums paid" if you passed away in the first 2 years of the policy. (that is a typical guaranteed issue policy, sometimes called a funeral policy).  

Of course, if you are under 65 and in good health you can shop for the best deals.  

One of the decisions you will need to make is whether to get "permanent"  aka whole life  or "temporary"aka term insurance.  You can think of whole life as "owned" insurance which builds cash value and you can even quit paying the premiums after its "paid up".  On the other hand "rented" or term insurance only covers you for a specific period of time..often 10 years, to your age 65 etc.  Then the term insurance "ends" and has no cash value, just like renting a home.  

Others can chime in here, but I looked, and am unaware of VA life insurance to DIC recipients.  Perhaps Berta could chime in she is our DIC expert.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I think she can get his free 10.000 life insurance if they were married a year before his death and he was 100% p&t And took the free life policy.

That's what I have  in case I go before my spouse  she can at least bury me and keep the change.

I also have another private life policy that she can cash in after I kick that old bucket.

In the last 3 years I got the 10,000 from the VA and a 10,000 and a 5,000 from Mutual of Omaha, $30 and $20 bucks a month or there about's, age 57.

I got my wife, 10,000, 10,000 and 5,000, at less $$$ than my two combined.  She is 4 years younger and a lot prettier than me.

She is disabled with major medical problems, and then there is me.  This is the insurance where there is NO physical, etc.  Guaranteed acceptance, yada, yada, yada.

Just so you know, if you do get "this type", you can only have a max of $25,000.00 each, from any or all insurances of "this type".  Not including the VA, so I could get another 10,000, as the VA is not under this rule.  Not sure if its a rule or just a policy.

Anyway, 

Hamslice

And please discuss your wishes before hand, i.e., my wife wants to be cremated and her remains disposed of (?), and I want to be embalmed and have a mausoleum built in my honor.  So, there is that..

Broncovet, that is an excellent reply.

As a DIC widow I do not get Life Insurance through the VA.

I have Whole Life, and don't really recommend Term Life, but Term life is much cheaper.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/insurance/

• HadIt.com Elder

What about the OP IF Her hubby had the free VA Life Insurance ...then why wouldn't she be entitled?After her hubby died???

It seems to me that's what she is asking here?   she would still be entitled to her monthly DIC pension.

but if she wants her own life insurance   then yeah she would be obligated to pay out the premiums. and several ways to choose to do that depending on the Insurance company she pics.

Edited by Buck52