Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newbie Help

Rate this question

Lrlrlrk

Question

Hi All,

I recently found your sight and I must say you all are a wonderful source of knowledge! I have been out of the military 10 years. When I first got out I tried to do a claim with the county Veterans Office where I lived. LOng story short I wasn't eligible, I should've received a rating when I was discharged blah blah blah. Wasn't what I was told when I left the military, but because they were the local experts I let them lead me the wrong direction. A year later, I submitted a claim online. Didn't hear anything and made a call. They never received anything. I gave up. After all these years and several moves, I stopped into the Veterans office in my new county to just make some inquiries and the sweet lady in there ordered me to sit down and start my claim at that visit! That was in October. I had all of my documents with me and she submitted everything. Two weeks later I got a phone cal for a C&P. BAM! That was quick and easy! I had to drive 100 miles for it. Checked in at the desk and then waited two hours! My appointment time passed so I asked if something was wrong. Ooopsey, she didnt check you in correctly. The Dr has been coming out and asking us if you had arrived. I said that I didnt hear my name called and she told me that they didnt think I was there because the lady didnt check me in correctly. The PA or NP brought me in and started the routine for my back and hip issue. OOOPSEY again, I thought I was there to be seen for everything! Wrong again! I got the thanks for coming, sory for the confusion, go to xray and then to the cashier for travel.That was in November. Last week, I got a phone call for another appointment. I asked if I could be seen for numerous things and said I would wait longer if they could get me in for multiple appts. SHe told me if I could come on the 22nd they could see me for 8 of the remaining items. Score! It was with QTC and it was a much more pleasant C&P than what I had before with the VA. I had to drive 120 miles the other direction for this one and then across the city for x-ray's. So at this point I think there are just 2 more issues that I need to be seen for. I am about 12 weeks into the process at this point and have a few questions from the pro's:

1. Will the VA wait for the last two items to be completed before they issue a rating and anything? It has been 8 weeks since my first C&P.

2. I have tried to look at my info online, but I need a premium account and have to be verified in person? I would think that they would make the access easier so they didnt have to answer so many calls... or maybe that would cause more?

3. The one time I called for info, they told me that my estimated completetion time would be 10/2019. Does that seem right? My military med. records and history was submitted with my paperwork...

4. I feel as though my back and hip issue is related to my feet. My first C&P was for the back and hip. I started bringing up about compensating for feet etc and she kept saying that we are here to discuss the back. If you have connected issues, how do they determine ratings if the issues are seen at different times? It doesnt seem right...

Sorry for being long winded. Thanks so much for the awesome resource!

LRLRLRK

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

15 hours ago, ewsieczka said:

I'd get an MRI done on your whole back.

I am not confident that they will award me anything because of how the C&P went and figured that I will have to appeal. Would it help or hurt to to see an outside doctor at this point? Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

IMHO I would wait until your claim is denied before you go to the expense of private doctors.  You really need a doctor who can fill out the form in a format the VA accepts.  You need an in service event documented in your medical records, a statement by a doctor that the event more likely than not caused your disability and diagnosis of disability.  Without these three things you will not get awarded.  Research Caluza triangle on this sight for more in-depth information.  There are doctors that know how to do this but they do not usually come cheap.  Usually if you have a strong case, after a denial, you can get a lawyer to take your case and they can help with the nexus letter from a doctor.

I know that we should not have to have a lawyer to represent us but that is the sad reality of dealing with VA appeals.  They get 20% of your award but 80% of an award is better than nothing.  

Thanks for the advice. I was told by another individual that you never want to add anything to a claim while it is in process. I will just get my ducks in a row in the meantime and be ready for the worst case. But I have nothing but faith that the VA will see it my way. 🤣