VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% TDIU Not Yet Promulgated, I Need Dental Care

Rate this topic

I'm not sure if anyone will have the answers to this post, but I'll ask anyhow...

BVA granted me 100% TDIU back on Aug. 7 of last year, retro to 2009.  I have the BVA Decision Letter, but the new rating has not yet been put into effect.

I just had a tooth fall apart an hour ago.  It will need a crown at best, or maybe even an implant.  (My civilian dentist saw it coming and told me what was going to happen when he repaired it awhile back.)

Even with my insurance, I'm looking at up to $1,000 or more out of my pocket to repair it.

My questions are:

1.  Should the VA dentist over in Shreveport let me make an appointment and fix my tooth, with no proof of 100% except my BVA Decision Letter?

2.  If I have it done by my civilian dentist, will VA reimburse me for it when my new 100% rating goes into effect?

3.  If they will reimburse it, will they also reimburse other dental expenses back to my retro Effective Date of 2009?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I really didn't think they'd spring for a dental emergency such as this, it isn't like a medical emergency situation.  I will call them tomorrow and try the letter, I'll never know unless I ask.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you were awarded the IU Aug 7th 2018 of last year  you should have got all your letters and EOB's

Chck with IRIS  or look on e benefit's and print off your EOB Letters.

The BVA Letter should work check the dates on it  but 6/7 months since   you been awarded  something don't seem right  here? that you don't have all your explanation benefit letters?

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually if its not an emergency  the dental clinic will have you come in and get a evaluation  consult.

I had a tooth broken and was in Pain  but they sent me to the evaluation consult after a couple days from calling them..I went to the consult Friday and now waiting on the appointment for extraction of my tooth  its the right front tooth (3 weeks out) for the appointment.

so will need partials remade.  or go around looking like Billy Bob From the Hatfield's and McCoys

Seems like my VAMC Dental Clinic take there ever loving time to see a Veteran/no matter about pain... & we need to be 100% or IU to use the VA Dental Clinic  but a Veteran can pay to have a tooth extraction  they do not do cosmetic repairs.  (As for as I know they don't)

Thanks, Buck52, I've talked with Peggy and also just got a response from IRIS.  Both say pretty much the same thing:  "It appears a decision has been made on a portion of your appeal.  At this time, our records indicate the decision is currently being reviewed and processed at your regional office. No other action is needed from you at this time. However, if further information is needed you will receive notification by mail.  We are sorry that we are unable to give you a timeframe for this final stage in the appeals process.  We appreciate your continued patience. "

I have two minor remands that should not be holding up the granted 100% TDIU and SMC (s).

It's one of those things that might be done this evening, or next week, or next month, or next year, whenever the VA gets it done.  It's EXPEDITIOUS!  LOL  I'm waiting to hear from the VAMC Billing Office now, that's who the Dental office said to call.

It is just somewhat painful now, but I think it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Edited by acesup