• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
63Charlie

Complicated Attorney's Fees...What is the max percentage I must pay?

Question

Hired an attorney a while ago.

Discharged that attorney.

Attorney refuses to waive fees.

Hired another attorney recently.

The current said he worked out a fee agreement with the previous attorney but did not disclose their fees with me.

Considering I win, what % will I have to pay, if maximum?

I did not have problems with her.  She won my claim (on remand), and got paid out of EAJA fees, mostly.  I did have a bit more fees due on the "BVA part" which is not covered by eaja fees.  However, she promptly refunded the attorney fees that the VARO witheld, because those had already been paid by EAJA.  The only reason I did not hire her again, for my new eed appeal, is because she declined to represent me on that issue.  

Firing 3 different attorneys "might" mean, perhaps, you had unrealistic expectations from them. 

Its not especially suprising that attorney's dont want to speak to someone who fired their last 3 attorneys.  Perhaps you have a bit too unrealistic of an idea of how much they make, with your comment about her mercedes.  Its not been my experience that Vets law attorneys are rolling in the dough.  It could take 5 years for them to get paid and I know I would not want to work a job where I got paid (maybe!!, if you win) 5 years later.   I just dont see a "rush" of attorneys wanting to practice VA law where they can wait 5 or more years to get paid.  If you treat the attorney like they are driving Mercedes on your money, its not real suprising that you have had a poor relationship with them.  

Make no mistake, tho.  The reason I can see this is because I have made similar mistakes in the past.  Hopefully I was able to learn from my mistakes and move forward.  That is what you need to do.  

One lady said she married 5 "bad" husbands.   She suggested she was a "bad man" magnet.   (I think it was one of the people who wrote to Ann Landers).  Ann Landers wrote that the "common denominator in her 5 past husbands was her".  She suggested maybe all 5 of them were not bad husbands..that at least part of the blame landed on her shoulders.   And, if she wanted to "go for number 6" she should figure out what portion of the divorces was her responsibility.   Ann said there might be an attitude problem that "GOOD QUALITY"  men didnt like about her, so she could not attract men of the quality she desired.  

There is an old Guamanian proverb.  If the first marriage fails it might have been her but if the second marriage fails it is you.

• Like 2

I agree with Vetquest.  Someone defined "insanity" as doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.  

56 minutes ago, broncovet said:

I agree with Vetquest.  Someone defined "insanity" as doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.  

I always get what I expect.

I'd love to break that cycle.

Figuring out what the problem is, makes you half way to solving it.  Or, maybe just expecting the best from people, would mean you get that, too.