VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Disability rating/compensation reduction

Rate this question

Richard Williams

Question

When notifying me of their intent to reduce my advanced/stage III prostate cancer (PC) disability to PC "residuals", in h/her assessment, the VA's adjudicator's rationale for the reduction, assumed that after treatment, the cancer was now in remission, a decision with which my team of doctors did not concur. On receiving notification of the VA's intent, I submitted a Notice of Disagreement (NOD), with additional medical evidence provided by my physician, that verified that my residuals should be 80%, (versus 60%) based on the VA's own criteria. 

The VA did not reply to my NOD, but later notified me that their estimate of the NOD's anticipated resolution was 567 days, due to their backlog & any appeal I might submit would have an undetermined end date due to their backlog. The VA then, at the end of Feb. 2019, unilaterally, without consulting with me, reduced my disability & compensation without following the normal VA procedure, i.e., sending me a letter of reexamination and arranging with me to have a physical reexamination by a VA appointed physician before a decision could be taken by the VA to reduce my disability rating & compensation. At this point, the VA has not given me their decision on my request to reinstate my previous rating until the VA procedure is followed to make an interim decision on my disability compensation. I will be grateful for advice and recommendations.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

No offense, you should have come to hadit earlier!!

You dont "file a NOD" to a proposal to reduce.  Instead, you can ask for a hearing and/or submit evidence and your testimony as to why it should not be reduced.  

ONLY after its been reduced do you file a NOD, disputing the reduction.  You might be able to speed this up by opting into RAMP.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Richard I would like some info. Number 1: how long have you been service connected for the Prostrate Cancer?

There are certain protections built in to preserve a rating. Some ratings have a yo yo effect based on on the type of disability. Some disabilities are curable and they can re rate based on residuals. Now if the VA has lied about the improvement and the doctors do not agree that you have improved then I would ask for a hearing. Personally I would have already did that and followed up with a white house hotline call and a TORT Attorney. 

Personally I would contact John Dorle at Benefitsagent@comcast.net and get his take on the issue. He may be able to help you get it reversed quickly. 

Hang in there. The VA aims to please, Oh well at last they aim.

Basser

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Jbasser

Why didn't you request a DRO Hearing ? I believe it would been solved in your favor and maybe an Increase and not a decrease?

Thanks to all of you who replied - for your thoughtful advice. I have written to John Dorle for his advice/assistance and I've now asked VA for a DOR Hearing in the hope of getting this resolved.

As it is likely to take, according to the VA, another 1 1/2 years+ to resolve the NOD, I have considered applying for VA Individual Unemployability, as I am now unable to be employed as before. Could you tell me your views of that possible course of action?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you recieved a Letter from your R.O. letting you know they have information proposal to reduce your benefits or your disability is not as bad as you claim, the letter should have information to inform you as to what you need to do to solve this...most likey they will have information letting you know you have a certain limited time to Request a DRO Hearing  with in 60 days of the reciete of the proposal letter.

you request the DRO Hearing and the DRO Choosen to have the hearing will send you a letter letting you know the date and location and time of the Hearing and any evidence to support your reduction. usually a good IMO from a qualified Dr letting the DRO Know he has examine you and give his professional opinion on your S.C. Disability and why he thinks you should not be reduced.  he also needs to state he has read your pertinent  medical records. (about this disability in question.)

Now if you hire John Dorley he may attend the Hearing with you or by himself  if you can't travel  ..they do have tele-conference Hearing for veterans that can't travel due to their S.C. Disability.

as for the IU  YOU need to file the 21-8940 Form

here is a PDF.

https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-8940-are.pdf

Prostate cancer is usually given 100% for 6 months then rated on the residuals-

the regulation is here under a search-posted many times- 

this is not the same thing as a regular proposed reduction.

You said, "At this point, the VA has not given me their decision on my request to reinstate my previous rating until the VA procedure is followed to make an interim decision on my disability compensation. I will be grateful for advice and recommendations."

"On receiving notification of the VA's intent, I submitted a Notice of Disagreement (NOD), with additional medical evidence provided by my physician, that verified that my residuals should be 80%, (versus 60%) based on the VA's own criteria. "

Great!!!!!

I believe the NOD warranted the interim decision.