VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

retro pay question

Rate this question

johnsctt78

Question

hi guys  thank you for all the help

i have a retro pay question,i was awarded an increase on my existing va compensation,i went from 50 to 80 percent,it is showing a effective date of 3/10/2019 with the award,my question is if the retro pay increase starts from the effective date of 3/10/2019?,my claim closed over the weekend and ebenefits is already showing my new award percentage.just trying to figure out my retro amount.   

If I'm not badly mistaken, your first payment at this new rating should be effective last week on May 1.  VA Comp doesn't pay for a partial month, so you won't get paid anything for March.  So, if they didn't pay you at the new rate last week, they apparently owe you one month, April.  Congrats on your new rating.

I agree with Acesup.  Your compensation will begin the first day of the month following the effective date.  

Comp is paid "in arrears" not in advance.  So, your first payday is May 1.  

On 5/7/2019 at 11:05 AM, johnsctt78 said:

50 to 80 percent,it is showing a effective date of 3/10/2019 with the award,

@johnsctt78

The 3/2019 date is definitely retro pay. but it will only be for April and May. They wont pay for the partial month of March.

Did they grant you TD/IU? Did you apply?

If you are in hardship, then that may be the best thing for you and you might consider SSDI and or SSI. At 100% pay TDIU pays a single person 3K. SSDI at 100% is likely to pay you about the same depending on your work history and zipcode. Both are protected incomes but you would have limits on how much other money you can earn.

Whether you asked or not, to see if they granted you TDIU go to Ebennies and Letters.

If there is a Commissary letter showing generate it.

The existence of the commissary letter indicates a 100% rating for both TDIU and Schedular ratings.

It will tell you that you can use the commissary and give you a date to renew the ID card. That date corresponds to your next review. If the Commissary letter does not have a date to renew the ID card then you are P&T.

This letter generates long before the BBE comes or and back pay.

hello geekysquid

i did not apply for TD/IU  i thought that at least one disability had to be at least 70 percent,below is attached a copy of my disabilitys in ebennies,in reading i see if at least one dis is 40 percent for tdiu i could apply?I had to leave the workforce last august and just retire out with whatever i had for  my yrs retirement from working for the gov because my knees and lower back could not let me perform my job as a Mason,could not stand or go on ladders and lift anything anymore without great pain,walking or standing for over 5 min etc really effected me.do i need to wait to apply for the TDIU since my case just closed on the 6th,i did recieve retro pay  today for just the month of april.please look at  my new rating in the attachment and see if im eligible to apply for tdiu, thanx guys for the help

va new rating.png

Please read this link carefully:

https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/special-claims/unemployability/

It is quite possible, in my opinion, that the VA should have considered you for TDIU-

The actual decision will show if they did or didnt and could be the basis for a potential CUE.

I see you are a New Yorker like me.

Do you deal with Buffalo RO?

Reason I ask is that I do and have never received a proper decision right off the bat.

It is not always necessary for a veteran to formally apply for TDIU when the medical evidence and ratings suggest that they should infer it.  The TDIU regs are here under a search.

Forgot to ask- have you applied for SSDI?

If SSDI grants you solely for your established SC disabilities, and VA is aware of the SSA/SSDI  findings ,  that is excellent evidence for TDIU.