Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

back pay

Rate this question

steven13081

Question

Steven:  While I do agree with Pacmanx1, you should start a new post.  However, since you are new, I will respond this time only, next time, start a new topic.

If you apply for benefits WITHIN 12 months of your exit from service, you should get benefits beginning the day after you got out of service. 

Source: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/5110

Specifically:

b)

(1)
The effective date of an award of disability compensation to a veteran shall be the day following the date of the veteran’s discharge or release if application therefor is received within one year from such date of discharge or release.

If you dont apply within a year of exit from service, then your effective date will be the later of the date of application or facts found, but with the exceptions found in 38 USC 5110. 

I am fully aware that I am not always right but what must be said must be said. 

BORNCO, STEVEN13081 OP (Original Post) was on May 14, 2019 and you responded May 15, 2019. He has not responded to your post.

WILLIAM HEDERSON posted on October 22, 2020 and GBARMY, BUCK and I responded, and I encouraged him to start a new separate thread. We know very well that effective dates are complicated and earlier effective dates are even more complicated due to what is in the veterans file, what the veteran claimed and if the veteran received a decision, positive or negative. This post is just for clarity, so future posters will not get confuse and fall into responding to the wrong post. We try our best to tell posters not to hijack other posts and just simply start their own post where they would most likely get more responses. We all know that things happen.