VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension: How far back in Order to Claim?

Rate this question

VietNamVet1969

Question

My hypertension started perhaps 10 years ago? I finished my term in VietNam in 1969.

But so far, all I have found is 2018 with BP readings at and around 165/100/74 and the like. I see that the Diastolic is only in the 10% disability range, and with meds I am moving well below toward 144/103/86 down to 114/80/88 range.

So with BP meds I am improving. So can I go back to before meds, if I can find the records on my cd, in order to Service Connect?

And by the way, I have records show only from Basic training then nothing for Viet Nam, then again starting in 2010-ish? Still reading a huge volume on the cd

I am rated at 100% temporary for going on 21 months now. They have not attempted to reduce it, but it wouldn't surprise me. One way they are attempting to reduce it is by offering to implant a artificial urinary sphincter. But the last visit was with a physician and surgeon who said she disagreed with my last VA doctor. And I don't want it.

I have been granted a temporary Disabled Parking Permit which will come up for renewable or not at the end of September.

I am also with a 5 sq inch scar from the radical protastectomy, ED and incontinence post surgery.

Ok so from what you said about "essential" ( If your HBP has been deemed by VA in the past as "essential" you can make the same point I did-to the Secretary- 'essential HBP' means there is no known cause or etiology, but due to the NAP report , Vietnam Veterans now have a cause.  ),    I ran back through my records and I am not at all sure that the phrase I found in my records as follows means anything at all, but here is what I found among other phrasings, " Essential hypertension" but it was with these other statements dated May of 2017, just a month prior to my radical protastectomy surgery for prostate cancer;

Disorder of the peripheral nervous syste
Shoulder strain (ICD-9-CM 840.9)
Essential hypertension (SCT 59621000)
Family history of cancer (SCT 275937001)
Neck swelling (ICD-9-CM 784.2)
Foot pain (ICD-9-CM 729.5)
Arthritis, Psoriatic (ICD-9-CM 696.0)
Psoriasis (ICD-9-CM 696.1)
Pain in joint involving ankle and foot
PSH:
right rotator cuff repair

Could this help me gain an AO connection for HBP with boots on the ground then?

Three months ago the Secretary said that a decision on the presumptives should come-in 3 months- he has not made any decision at all yet and mo one knows what disabilities-if any- he will put on the presumptive list.

"Could this help me gain an AO connection for HBP with boots on the ground then?"

Yes , if he puts HBP on the presumptive list.

I assume you have been service connected for the prostate cancer.

Yes I have been service connected and am receiving a monthly temporary 100% with a disabled parking permit. But I cannot know if that will be extended.

Separate Question: Is there a way to know this?

Berta-

Read Appellant's Brief on 18-6798 re hypertension. I saw this AM they have pulled any decision on the new presumptive off the table for now. 

Thanks much and I suppose there is one somebody holding this one up. No note then on when this might be taken up again?

On 6/19/2019 at 5:38 AM, Berta said:

I had only posted a summary here of the actual 716 page  report, in our Agent Orange forum -which states:

SUFFICIENT for HBP !!

In April I suggested that anyone who has a potential AO presumptive listed in the NAP report, to write to Secretary Wilkie and try to make a strong case for your disability and why it should become presumptive.

Secretary Robert Wilkie

Department of Veterans Affairs

810 Vermont Avenue

Washington, DC 20420

I made, what I felt was a very strong case for why HBP, with sufficient evidence associating it with AO, should be a new Presumptive.

I also made a medical argument for why any incountry Vietnam veteran who suffers from an Ischemic Stroke and who had been service connected for AO IHD, should receive presumptive status for the ischemic stroke.

Ischemia of the heart can definitely cause ischemia of the brain, by all known medical literature.

Has anyone here written to the Secretary about possible new presumptives?