Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Plavix And The One Year Rule ?

Rate this question

LeroyJohnson

Question

has anyone come across this at the va yet I tried to get my usual order of plavix refilled but the va refuses to refill it .they said the new rule states that plavix or drugs like plavix will only be given by the va for one year reguardless of whether or not your cardilogist says you need them , unless you have had a stroke then they will continue to give you the medication. the va stated that if i my outside cardiologist whated me to continue the plavix then i will have to buy it outside of the va system.

Leroy

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Leroy

I bet this is just another attempt to cut costs at the veteran's expense. The VA figures the only good veteran is a dead veteran.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been getting it for 4 years and never had a problem but then again my records hsow that I suffered a stroke it;s noted as a CVA. I saw in the news where it compared what the VA pays for Plavix vs a medicaid patient 889 VA vs 1350 for medicaid for a one year supply.

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

has anyone come across this at the va yet I tried to get my usual order of plavix refilled but the va refuses to refill it .they said the new rule states that plavix or drugs like plavix will only be given by the va for one year reguardless of whether or not your cardilogist says you need them , unless you have had a stroke then they will continue to give you the medication. the va stated that if i my outside cardiologist whated me to continue the plavix then i will have to buy it outside of the va system.

Leroy

I have been getting Plavix for 3 years and have no problem getting it renewed. I have had a heart attack and two open heart surgeries one grafted the right coronary artery the second 10 months later grafted the left coronary artery, both were 100% blocked. If you have a diagnosis of high cholesterol, you should have no questions asked.

Leroy

The VA here in Indianapolis stopped giving me Allerga for allergic rhinitis and started giving me claritin and my doctor ask me if it was doing me any good and I said no...he ordered allerga and they started giving it to me again...your doctor can get it if he wants you to have it.

Leroy

VFW VETERANS HELPLINE

Call VFW's Tactical Assessment Center if you have questions,

concerns or issues about VA care you are receiving.

(800) VFW-1899

This is VFW in Washington DC

• HadIt.com Elder

Leroy

Probably a local attempt to cut pharmacy costs.

Possibly not legal. Ask for a copy of the directive, and if it appears local, file a complaint with your Regional HQ.

If it appears to be a Regional directive, file the complaint at VHA.

If it appears to be a VHA directive, file the complaint with VA.

If it appears to be a VA directive, it will probably take so long to resolve, that you'll be gone before that happens.

Good luck.

Fight the VA as if they are the enemy; for they are!

Erin go Bragh

Leroy

I have to have all my meds reviewed each year and if not renewed, I will not be able to get them from the VAMC. Percriptions are only good for a certain period of time and then they have to be reviewed and then renewed by the percribing Dr.

It's probably not because the won't fill your perscription, it's just poslicy to make sure that your medication list is up to date and that you are taking the right ones and at the correct dosage.

Check with you Primary care Dr and or Team Pharmacist and they can get it streatened out.

Jim S. :(