• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Julie

Developed thumb joint pain in both hands years after retiring

Question

Hello everyone, I retired in 2008 after 20 years in Aviation mechanics.  Two years ago I started having a hard time gripping.  Now it just hurts like hell.  Has anyone claimed arthritis and been granted service connection years after service?  I have nothing in my record for hand injuries.  I'm just seeing if it is worth dropping a claim or will I be denied.

I wish I could be more positive but if I read you right, the Aviation Mechanics is what yo did after your service, unless you have a record of hand issues while you were in, I don'y think things will go well. If you did, there would be a chance, even after 20 years. Using your hands like you did, day after day with repetitive motion is obviously where it comes from. The VA would not have any service connection to grant a disability. Nothing in your record correct?

15 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

I wish I could be more positive but if I read you right, the Aviation Mechanics is what yo did after your service, unless you have a record of hand issues while you were in, I don'y think things will go well. If you did, there would be a chance, even after 20 years. Using your hands like you did, day after day with repetitive motion is obviously where it comes from. The VA would not have any service connection to grant a disability. Nothing in your record correct?

Actually 20 years mechanics while active duty.  

Just now, Julie said:

Actually 20 years mechanics while active duty.  

I'm not sure if arthritis develops over years or is injury induced.  Either way. I used my hands all the time safety wire, hand tools, heavy lifting.  It is probably a long shot after being retired.  

So Julie; you are sure you never had any type of hand injury? You been out of the service 11 years; that in itself is a long time to connect to the service.Have you gone to a doc since getting out; how long ago?You didn't declare any issue when you were getting discharged? You have to have 3 things to get a disability. You only have one, which is bad hands now. You have to go back to an incident while in the service that show you had an injury then, and then you need a nexus, or a way to connect them. Unless there is something in your service record, you don't have anything to show from in service. Request a copy ; use sf form 180 and see if there is anything you forgot you reported.

• Like 1

I cannot remember ever having a hand injury just knuckles popped all the time.  I am currently 80% for a combination of many other little things and the only arthritis I have is in my knees that is service connected and lower back sacrococcygeal junction degenerative joint disease osteoarthritis with patellofemoral syndrome of the right and left knee.  I honestly did not have any pain until 3 or 4 years ago and it had gradually gotten worse.  I have a hard time gripping anything now.  So yes I have been diagnosed with arthritis but not in my hands.  Probably a long shot.