• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
Island5OIF3

Two 100% disability ratings combined

Question

Good evening,

I have been rated 100% for severe and chronic ptsd since 2007 along with 8 other ratings ranging from 10% to 60% and recently was diagnosed and service connected for Parkinson's disease from my TBI sustained in combat in 2005. The VA sent me paperwork and ratings for my Parkinson"s diagnosis and awarded me an additional 100% disability rating on top of my multiple other ratings as well as my 100% ptsd rating. I have been drawing additional SMC pay on top of my normal disability VA pay at the S or what is referred to the home bound rate ( around $300.00 ) extra a month. I was at a veterans session this past week and a former VA service officer was there explaining our pay and medical benefits and one of the questions asked by another vet was if anyone like himself had two separate 100% VA rated disabilities. I raised my hand and he asked the former VA rep why he wasn't getting paid smc on top of his 100% rating and that's when it got confusing for me with my TBI. Apparently to my understanding if a veteran had two separate 100% service connected VA disability ratings, their SMC pay should be much higher than the household amount in the $300.00 range. Can anyone verify  or confirm this. The former VA rep stated that the two combined 100% ratings should place additional SMC pay to around an additional 12 to 13 hundred extra dollars a month. Is this in any way accurate or Am I misunderstanding all this because of my TBI? Thank you in advance and thank you God for Spell correct.

3 answers to this question

On 9/9/2019 at 6:46 PM, Island5OIF3 said:

The former VA rep stated that the two combined 100% ratings should place additional SMC pay to around an additional 12 to 13 hundred extra dollars a month.

in a word, NO.

There is nothing in the law that "automatically" entitles a veteran with 2 separate 100% ratings to 1,200 or 1,300 extra bucks a month.

Each vets claim is different and when SMC (of any type) is involved it becomes more convoluted.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:46 PM, Island5OIF3 said:

I have been drawing additional SMC pay on top of my normal disability VA pay at the S or what is referred to the home bound rate ( around $300.00 ) extra a month

SMC(s) has two types under the schedule

The first is Statutory, which simply means the value (%'s) of a particular vet add up to a value defined in statutes to qualify for SMC(s). This type vet is not physically housebound.

The second is being actually house bound. meaning that you cannot generally leave your home on a regular basis like going to work every day.

Nothing in the SMC (s) schedule contemplates a "boost" for having 2 100% SC ratings.

Other types of SMC (except k) contemplate "half-steps" that award different amounts of compensation.

So if that other vet had some of those things/conditions along with the 2 100% ratings AND the speaker knows that vet has them, then yes it might be true for that vet to have additional compensation that equals 1,200 or 1,300 a month more than normal.

Hope that helps clarify things

• Like 2

If you can prove you need aid and attendance  then the 2nd 100% rating will be grounds for SMC at the M rate.

Understand that Aid and attendance does not require a 100% rating, the only requirement is that you need daily help with some ( not all ) areas of daily living, In my case because of my TBI, knees back and lungs,  I need help bathing,  cleaning the house, cooking  as well as putting on my braces. I get  aid and Attendance at the L 1/2  rate,  which is  the normal rate for Aid and attendance and then one 1/2 step up  because I have a 60% rating, right now I do have a cue claim in because I think I should have the full step to M because I have a 100% rating.

The point I am trying to make is that under aid and attendance the rules allow for either  a additional 1/2 step ( 60% single rating )  or a full step to the next higher level ( 100% single rating). 

Based on your ratings, you may in fact be eligible for Aid and attendance, talk to your doctors explain to them what you are not able to do without help  and in all likely hood they will fill out the application for aid and attendance,  which is what you will need to get the  initial award.  Its an easy process and shouldn't require another c/P exam 

Best of luck 

Edited by Richard1954
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By asknod
      This is an amazing story. I got a Vietnam Swift Boater (Dan) R1 last year.  Sadly, he passed in early January. They got almost a year of R1-  $93,600 -before he passed..  This Vet's wife (Dan's daughter) came to me in early December and asked me to help her. Seems the VFW in Arkansas doesn't understand SMC very well. They said her husband was maxed out at SMC M. But of course, they said that before he finally got SMC L. I was honored to represent this 11 Bravo 20 w/ CIB. Two R1s and two Vietnam Vets in the same family. That will probably stand as my personal best. Hoooooo, doggies I do love to litigate. Leave no one behind fellow members. Never.
      This is precisely why I chose to become a VA agent. I wanted to make a difference in a few Vet's lives before I punch out. 
      Some of you will ask how much money I made. $36.75  for USPS Priority mail postage. The Arkansas Puzzle Palace didn't fight my Vet on it nor did I expect them to.  Cool beans, huh? 
      redact R 1.pdf
    • By dluvmj23
      I was just wondering  if my conditions qualified me for smc. I believe i could end up getting am extra 100% rating.
      Disabilities
      100%     Total Combined Disability
      You have a 100% final degree of disability. This percentage determines the amount of benefit pay you will receive.
      How is this calculated
      Rated Disabilities
      Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date left (non-dominant) shoulder condition (claimed as left shoulder)   Not Service Connected     trunk injury   Not Service Connected     abdominal muscle   Not Service Connected     degenerative disc disease/arthritis of the thoracolumbar spine with intervertebral disc syndrome and history of lumbar strain (previously rated as lumbar strain, claimed as lumbago, upper and lower back, spasming muscles and bulging disc) 20% Service Connected   06/05/2017 radiculopathy, left lower extremity, sciatic nerve 
      40% Service Connected   06/05/2017 radiculopathy, right lower extremity, sciatic nerve 
      40% Service Connected   06/05/2017 radiculopathy, right lower extremity, femoral nerve 
      10% Service Connected   06/05/2017 left knee chondromalacia (claimed as severe bilateral knee chondromalacia) 0% Service Connected   04/15/2014 limitation of flexion, chondromalacia and osteoarthritis, right knee 0% Service Connected   06/05/2017 migraines   Not Service Connected     carpal tunnel syndrome, left hand   Not Service Connected     carpal tunnel syndrome, right hand   Not Service Connected     pseudofolliculitis barbae (also claimed as skin condition) 0% Service Connected   04/15/2014 limitation of extension, chondromalacia and osteoarthritis, right knee (previously rated under DC 5003-5260) 40% Service Connected   06/05/2017 major depressive disorder (also claimed as adjustment disorder with depressed mood; nightmare disorder; depression; and trouble sleeping) 50% Service Connected   04/15/2014 right (dominant) shoulder labral tear, including superior labral anterior-posterior lesion 20% Service Connected   05/02/2015 degenerative disc disease/arthritis of the cervical spine with intervertebral disc syndrome and history of cervical strain (previously rated as cervical strain, claimed as neck) 20% Service Connected   06/05/2017 radiculopathy, right upper extremity, middle and lower radicular group 
      40% Service Connected   06/05/2017 radiculopathy, left upper extremity, middle and lower radicular group 
      30% Service Connected   06/05/2017 right knee scars 0% Service Connected   04/15/2014 Pending Disabilities
      Disability Submitted Type Actions Lumbar Spine 05/08/2018 INC View Pending Claim Right Knee 05/08/2018 INC View Pending Claim Cervical Spine 05/08/2018 INC View Pending Claim Right Upper Nerves 05/08/2018 NEW View Pending Claim Left Upper Nerves 05/08/2018 NEW View Pending Claim Left Lower Nerve 05/08/2018 NEW View Pending Claim Right Lower Nerve 05/08/2018 NEW View Pending Claim Skin Condition 05/08/2018 INC View Pending Claim
    • By FuryOEFvi
      Preexisting facts: 
      - 100% P&T ( to include 100% PTSD, 70% TBI ) since 2011 
      - SMC-K
      - SMC-S  with two children.
      - two documented neuropsych & forensic workups: TBI residuals well documented, aquired ADHD due to mTBI x3; cognative and social imparements compounded by PTSD. 
      - purple heart 
      Hello all 
      I need guidence. 
      I am having a harder time maintining basic tasks. I am relying more on my relatives and children to help me with items such as laundry, house cleaning and such.  The wife split and and left me and the children. 
      I have contacted my MOPH service officer and am waiting to hear back from him. I am trying to figuire out if I should file for A&A or other SMC. I feel like I am barely treading water. 
      I have read but tired to figuire out SMC -R1 or SMC-T applies... 
      Please advise.
      Fury 1-9 out

• By Persistant
      I uploaded (last week) some of the decisions my late husband had gotten and Berta spotted a couple CUEs and gave me some help in drafting them.  Berta if you are able to help with a few more questions Please?  
      I have only 2 more days till my year is up from the DIC/Accrued benefits claim where DIC was awarded and Accrued denied saying there aren't any.  At that time also, I intended Substitution but the VA form got separated (my fault) and didn't get submitted. I, however, wrote it into the 21-534EZ form and checked it. I also included a cover letter that said explicitly I was substituting for any and all accrued benefits...  They didn't address substitution in their decision.  Now with the CUEs which aren't an accrued yet, do I need to address those 2 forms immediately before the deadline?
      Here are some questions I still have if you could clarify these for me please:
      A.      Is a NOD for accrued benefits claimed with DIC a year ago needed – to appeal their conclusion that there are no accrued benefits? Would any backpay from these CUEs be considered accrued benefits that I would have to NOD the decision now for?
      B.      Is Substitution needed to do CUE claims or to receive any backpay on them?
      C.      What happens when future presumptions of ao are added to the list going forward (as a surviving spouse) does it affect anything I can act on?
            1.        Conditions claimed before – either rated or denied sc          
            2.       Would conditions listed in the C-File but never claimed come into play ever as a presumptive?
      D.      If CUE is successful:
           1.       then qualifying for housebound or A&A will need to be judged and evidence has never been presented before…
                a.       does the judgement come only from the C-File?  And if so, should I include printouts from C-File to bring attention to issues pertaining to them? 
                b.      Can any evidence be added (from that date and before) since it was never considered before?  And if so, do I include it with the CUE claim?
      E.       IHD was first decided as 30% and went back to one year prior to our first claim – effective 2004…the bump up to 60% was effective   .  But the 100% was effective 2006…Should any of those effective dates be different because:
           1.       SSDI was in place for IHD qualification date of 12/2000  
           2.       TDIU decision being effective 2006 (but he was unemployable per SSDI in 2000?) 
           3.        100% decision?   
           4.       100% effective date adjusted back due to Nehmer 2010 addition listing it as a presumptive
           5.       Combination of all the above?
      F.       Many of the evidence documents we submitted are not in the C-File and none of the forms we submitted are there to prove what we submitted or said.  Is that normal?
      G.     Also, the only SS docs in the C-File are the ones where I outline his conditions and behaviors in answer to the many questions on the intake paperwork for that SS claim.  There’s 4 pages of handwritten (including along margins due to space shortage)  that I doubt anyone is going to wade through but it’s filled with problems he was having.  Should I type it all out and attach it to the handwritten forms?
      H.      We submitted the whole SS file but can’t prove it.  We even wrote a letter to our Congressman to help us get a particular letter sent to us by SS along with their decision listing a myriad of restrictions to employment they concluded for him.  I couldn’t find it and neither could SS but the Congressman did try for us. I have those communications too, but don’t want to drown them in paperwork with this claim.  Any thoughts?
      Again, thank you Berta. I did try the other people you suggested without success.   
      And thank you to everyone here who has helped  me or does going forward!  
    • By gousto0731
      can anyone tell me how get smc  with 10% service connection  for chronic epididymitis
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 18 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 56 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
    • Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemptions by State
      Alabama 
      A disabled veteran in Alabama may receive a full property tax exemption on his/her primary residence if the veteran is 100 percent disabled as a result of service and has a net annual income of $12,000 or less.
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines