• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A question about knee replacement and rating

Rate this question

Jims

Question

Hello all. Followup on a post i did 4 yrs ago

First, thank you for this forum.

I have been 100% P&T rated for 15 years now.  Part of that rating is 40% on my right knee. 

My ortho surgeon recommends a full knee replacement of my right knee within 1 year.

I understand that normally with a knee replacement, it is 100% for 1 year of recovery and permanent 30% for the knee after that.

But my question is, since I am already 100%, if I go ahead with the knee replacement, how will that affect my 100% P&T rating?  And will they re examine all my disabilities as well?

OR should I try and hold out for 5 more years until I reach the 20 year mark when compensation is protected from reduction?

Thanks all

Jim

Edited by Jims

Buck thanks for the clarification. Now I do have a long way to go before I hit the 20 year mark...I am thinking some where around 2037. I have a long way to go needless to say...lol

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

5 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

I never meant to hurt your feelings

Buck I did not see anything negative in what you wrote I also did not see anything wrong with what Richard wrote...as you stated it is your opinion as well as Richards opinion...nothing wrong with that. As long as what we write does not belittle or demean anyone everyone should except. 

I for one enjoy reading all the comments and advice given her on this site. But I must be honest when advice is given to me I always verify it to make sure it fits my particular situation. 

@Richard1954 I hope you don't leave the site.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes paul  and in the future if you have any service connected conditions  you come down with or you think they may have been caused from your military days...file for them.

we do not have a limit on the claims we can file, the more s.c. conditions you have rather or not you get a rated   they will help out if you ever do get called up for a re evaluation in case they ever try to reduce any of your benefits.

We Must keep on going even after we reach the 100%

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Once you become 100% P&T can you still be called in for a re-evaluation? I am trying to plan for the future and I feel I should not consider my VA check into how much I will have when I retire.

• HadIt.com Elder
15 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

Once you become 100% P&T can you still be called in for a re-evaluation? I am trying to plan for the future and I feel I should not consider my VA check into how much I will have when I retire.

yes they can if they want to or get a reason to call you up.

being 100%P&T is no guarantee we won't never be called up for re evaluation but but butt being 100& P&T  Sure helps from being called up.

its rare if the call up a 100% P&T veteran for a reevaluation  very rare.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

12 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

its rare if the call up a 100% P&T veteran for a reevaluation  very rare.

Thanks Buck that is good to know.