VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A question about knee replacement and rating

Rate this question

Jims

Question

Hello all. Followup on a post i did 4 yrs ago

First, thank you for this forum.

I have been 100% P&T rated for 15 years now.  Part of that rating is 40% on my right knee. 

My ortho surgeon recommends a full knee replacement of my right knee within 1 year.

I understand that normally with a knee replacement, it is 100% for 1 year of recovery and permanent 30% for the knee after that.

But my question is, since I am already 100%, if I go ahead with the knee replacement, how will that affect my 100% P&T rating?  And will they re examine all my disabilities as well?

OR should I try and hold out for 5 more years until I reach the 20 year mark when compensation is protected from reduction?

Thanks all

Jim

Edited by Jims

• HadIt.com Elder
6 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

Why would you advocate that I paint a more positive picture ?   ( Especially since in my opinion I was not being negative)  Veterans ask questions to learn, don't they deserve to hear more that one opinion?  I was under the impression all opinions were valid... but my mistake... this is the second time in 5 days my opinion has been called out in a smug condescending way.  I need this like I need a hole in the head....so this is where I part company.. and you all talk bad about that other board?

Richard1954

You have the right to state your opinion and you did ,& I stated mine, no one is asking you to leave this board  , your more than welcome to stay  but its certainly your choice if you choose to leave, I never meant to hurt your feelings,and I apologize to you if I did?

We all will have disagreements  from time to time were just human.

I just like to see all us veterans supporting each other and have a positive attitude for a positive out come.

Remember a veteran is his best Advocate he is the one that says submit it or he himself submits his/her claim  we just try to help them get it right.

I do not see where a knee replacement would mess up your 100% P&T.  Tho we never know what evil lurks in the heart of the VA.  I personally would go ahead with the knee replacement if it is hurting bad enough to consider it.  You have some protection in being P&T, some protection if you are over 55, and some protection for a rating that has been in effect for five years or more.  To reduce you they need two C&P's that show an improvement, and they must notify you of the reduction.  This gives you some time to line your ducks up if it ever happens.

If you had the knee replacement and then receive 30%, does having the 30% instead of 40% drop you below 100%? If it doesn't drop you below 100% then it should not matter. JMO

If your knee rating of 40% is part of your 100% rating you could be in for a rude awaking. First,  just because someone is considered P & T doesn't mean they can not be re-rated and receive a lessor rating,  In fact, as you have indicated you would have to be re-rated at 30% after the first year requiring knee surgery. 

I suspect that you asked this question because you are concerned you could lose the 100% rating and you should be concerned. Veterans get re-rated all the time because of improvement in their condition.  The only thing that I know that  guarantees  a  100% rating  for life is when you reach the 20 year mark. Also,  Under normal circumstances it takes 2 C/P exam to reduce any rating but we all have heard of horror stories where veterans get reduced with less than 2 C/P exams. 

You have to ask yourself if you are willing to lose the 100% rating for improvement in your quality of life. I know that I personally would give up any rating I have for improvement of my quality of life.

I wish you the best

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe you will keep the 30% after the one year recovery time

'' you mention''

since I am already 100%, if I go ahead with the knee replacement, how will that affect my 100% P&T rating?  And will they re examine all my disabilities as well? 

you should get a Temp 100% rating for a year for TKR, after the recovery you keep the 30% that you have right now,  unless you go for increase  even with the TKR they will give another 30% in which this will make you 60% for S.C. on your knees.....having knee replacement  makes no difference in your rating  you get the 100% Temp at least a Year  then they usually will take the Temp 100% away and leave you YOUR S.C. 30% alone ....> unless your knees are still bothering you in which another 30% increase in likely. 

I would almost be willing to say you will get bootsted up another 30%  I believe 60% is the highest rating for Bad Knees.  even with replaement knees.

SO NO IN MY OPINION IT WON'T EFFECT YOUR 100%P&T RATING YOU HAVE NOW.