Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Competency to handle disbursement of funds

Rate this question

Jdromero

Question

I recently received a letter from the regional office saying I have been considered competent. I also have the direct deposit set up so I should start receiving payment in November. My question is how do I get my savings from the “ex” fiduciary? Is that another whole long process? Or should it be less time consuming from here on out. Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jdtomero I do not know the answer to your question, but please be sure to have a follow-up posting on your results. I don't recall a situation such as yours where you  re-aquired control. It will be useful info for others in your situation. And congrats to you.

Excellent question.  Im waiting to hear the answer.  

My intuitive answer (may not be correct):

1.  Get in contact with "ex" fiduciary and ask him or her to send you the money and an accounting as to where stuff was spent.  

2.  "Ask VA" this very valid question.  Either in IRIS, by mail, by phone, or all 3.  

If you find the fiduciary is shafting you, then other vets would like to know this, even tho, VA is likely to give him more Vets to hornswaggle.  

If this is a "significant" amount of money, consider hiring legal representation, at least, if you get no satisfaction doing as I suggested, above.  

As always, remember you get more flies with honey than vinegar, so, certainly give the BOD to the applicable partie(s), and "assume" they will help you until, at least, you find out otherwise.  Be polite, and non threatenting, at least at first.  

If you need to get dirty and nasty, let your attorney do that.