Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• Ads

• Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

fundraising.jpegHadIt.com Veteran to Veteran Fundraiser
    Revenues are down, costs are up and I need your help. Financial gifts are always appreciated but never required. If HadIt.com has helped you and you can give back a little it is appreciated Give here https://community.hadit.com/donate/make-donation/

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
    • Howdy all,

The VA DRO denied my claim for an earlier effective date for my sleep apnea. They originally denied it in 2008 but granted it in Nov 2019 secondary to my GERD. I was rated for GERD in 2001. So I had it in 2008. I have attached the 2008 denial, 2018 approval, and the NOD SOC. All of my medical files and the medical articles and VA Citations referenced were in existence in or before Jan 2008. The only new items were the NEXUS letter from Dr Bash and a few extra buddy letters. The original denial states that my medical records show no diagnosis or treatment and only isolated complaints of symptoms. The denial does not even list my wife's or my lay statements as evidence reviewed. I have symptoms listed numerous times in my SMRs:

a. Medical visit dated 24 Feb 76 for problem sleeping and depression.
      b. Physical exam dated 24 Jan 79 listed frequent/severe headaches" dizziness, and
      nervousness.
      c. Physical exam dated 07 Nov 83 listed frequent/severe headaches.
      d. Physical exam dated 16 Jan 85 listed frequent/severe headaches.
      e. Admitted to hospital 05 Aug 86 for chest pains and anxiety.
      f. Medical visit dated 14 Jul 87 for problem sleeping and morning confusion.
      g. Physical exam dated 25 Feb 88 listed dizziness.
      h. Physical exam dated 07 Oct 91 listed frequent/severe headaches
      i. Physical exam dated 25 Aug 93 listed headache.
      j. Hernia repair surgery dated 22 Ang 94 surgeon had to insert devices of some
      kind in each of my nostrils that went down into my throat to keep rny airway
      open and stop my disruptive snoring.
      k. Physical exam dated 29 Sep 99 listed frequent/severe headaches.

So could you all take a look and let me know what you think.

Redacted VA NOD SOC 04-09-2020.pdf
      VA 2008 Denial of OSA Redacted.pdf
      VA Claim Decision Ltr 08 Nov 2018 Redacted.PDF
      • 3 replies
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
WomanMarine

How to appeal a HISA Grant denial

Question

In January of this year I was approved for the ILP through Voc Rehab. I had an Industrial Psychologist come to my home and visit with me for three hours. He developed a report that was then submitted to my VR counselor. My VR counselor then created several 'Request for Medical Services' Chpt 31 that were delivered, by me to my Primary.

They stalled for several months of getting me the supplies which ranged from long handle grabber, electric scooter and HISA Grant for outside work which included drive-way.  The only thing that was delivered was a set of grab rails and a shower chair. The issue I believe was with the Prosthetic dept; as I suspect I caught them in a lie. They stated that they had ordered the items and they had to give them out to other veterans. 

These folks would not follow-up with VR and because of this VR cancelled my ILP.

I recently applied for a HISA Grant and was denied. They stated that my prescription was for hand rails and a ramp. In no place on the ILP plan does it request that.

How does one appeal a HISA Grant?

HISA recommendation.pdf

Edited by WomanMarine
Added HISA recommendation

5 answers to this question

I assume that you would appeal the the Board of Veterans Appeals (BVA).   I went here:

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp      and typed in "HISP" under "Find these words" and came up with quite a few cases that were appealed to the BVA some were granted some were not.   Good luck

Edited by toddt
misspelling

5 hours ago, WomanMarine said:

I recently applied for a HISA Grant and was denied. They stated that my prescription was for hand rails and a ramp. In no place on the ILP plan does it request that.

How does one appeal a HISA Grant?

HISA grants are controlled by the VA Medical Center Prosthetic Clinic .  There is usually someone assigned as the HISA Coordinator. You can appeal the Denial using what is called a Clinic appeal.   The appeal goes directly to the Prosthetic Department Director at the local hospital.   Your best option is to go to your Primary care doctor at the va and  explain to the doctor what you need, he will either refer you to someone to evaluate you for the need, or will write a prescription for what you need. But  you do need a prescription from a VA doctor.

I am attaching the handbook that explains the HISA Program, a flyer that gives some information on the program and the clinical appeals instruction. 

It would actually be quicker to see the doctor than to appeal the decision.

I wish you the best of luck

Handbook 1173-14 HiSA 18Apr2008.pdf VA Clinic Appeals.pdf SAHFactsheet.pdf

You appeal a denial of HISA the same way you appeal a denial of other benefits:  You begin by filing a NOD on the applicable form.  

You need to make some decisions:

1.  Hearing or no hearing?  I have no idea if you want a hearing, go for it.  Hearings take longer.  

2.  HLR or SCL.  Choose SCL (Supplemental Claim lane) even if you "may" have to submit new evidence; HLR precludes submitting new evidence.  

3.  Or, I think you can appeal it directly to the BVA, and skip the HLR or SCL. 

2 hours ago, broncovet said:

You appeal a denial of HISA the same way you appeal a denial of other benefits:  You begin by filing a NOD on the applicable form.  

You need to make some decisions:

1.  Hearing or no hearing?  I have no idea if you want a hearing, go for it.  Hearings take longer.  

2.  HLR or SCL.  Choose SCL (Supplemental Claim lane) even if you "may" have to submit new evidence; HLR precludes submitting new evidence.  

3.  Or, I think you can appeal it directly to the BVA, and skip the HLR or SCL. 

Dare I say 

WomanMarine,

I think  you  should read the handbook I listed for clinic appeals.... there is no hearing with this appeal, and there is no supplemental claim lane for this...  and no you cannot appeal directly to the BVA...

I have been through the process and I know exactly what I am talking about... 

All it takes is a letter to the director of the Prosthetic department and tell  him/her  what and why you are appealing, there is no special format for this type of appeal nor is there a special form.

If they deny the appeal, it then goes outside the Hospital thru  normal appeal  channels  and eventually it might get to the BVA and then the COVA as my  denial did.. and by the way I won my issue at the

COVA..

As I said before,  it would be much easier and quicker just to see a va doctor and get a prescription for what you need. The Prosthetic representatives  are very liberal in granting HISA if you have the

necessary prescription.  Appeals take too long no matter what system you use. 

Any denial  that involves A VA Medical Center,  goes thru this process... auto adaptive equipment denials,  medical treatment denials, wheelchair denials, brace denials  and yes  HISA denials.. they are the

approving authority for these issues,  and they are who you appeal too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

Dare I say 

WomanMarine,

I think  you  should read the handbook I listed for clinic appeals.... there is no hearing with this appeal, and there is no supplemental claim lane for this...  and no you cannot appeal directly to the BVA...

As I said before,  it would be much easier and quicker just to see a va doctor and get a prescription for what you need. The Prosthetic representatives  are very liberal in granting HISA if you have the

necessary prescription.  Appeals take too long no matter what system you use. 

Any denial  that involves A VA Medical Center,  goes thru this process... auto adaptive equipment denials,  medical treatment denials, wheelchair denials, brace denials  and yes  HISA denials.. they are the

approving authority for these issues,  and they are who you appeal too.

Thank you Richard 1954, I read your documentation and believe you are correct. 

I have also recently switched Primary's and have put in a request for a new prescription. 

I am not sure how it is going to float as VR actually cancelled my ILP because my previous Primary would not correspond ...

I am going to try to reopen now that I have new Primary.

VR ILP Cancellation.png

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kent101
      I have been having a hard time simply getting email from my voc rehab counselor. After reminding the counselor multiple times I got the email for orientation and exploration phase. When I got the email the attached documents had errors. On the functional test document for my doctor the numbers were wrong(order went 1,2,3,5,4) and my gender was wrong. On another document a page was blank when it was supposed to have text on it.

Then when I called the counselor for my first appointment the counselor says "Did we have an appointment today? Let me see if I have nothing else going on right now to see if we can talk." That was one of the most unprofessional responses I've ever witnessed from someone I had an appointment with. The counselors comes off as being cocky, yet incompetent and that's a bad mix. This counselor is trying to push me into education I know will make my disability worse or possibly cause me trouble at my C&P exam if I try it out.
      Berta said her husband was sent a letter of reduction for simply trying to take a semester of college. Then they tried to get him a job inside the VA and it went bad. It appears this counselor is trying to make me go through the same things. If anything good comes out of this I think it'll be that I got some more medical proof for my disabilities through these functioning test. 
      All of this leads me to believe that I'm wasting my time with this counselor. If I did try and go to college I can only imagine how bad this counselor would mess up the paperwork. The counselor already messed up the easy paperwork that was sent to me, so why should I think this counselor could handle college enrollment paperwork and financial paperwork? I'm sure I would be having to pay a lot of money out of my own pocket due to this counselor's errors. Should I ask for a new counselor or is this just the norm?
    • By hemipepsis5p
      Hi everyone! 

So I have bipolar disorder, and I've made massive progress in my wellbeing in the last 6 months from diet/exercise and tons of self-help books and a Bipolar Life Skills program. Anyway, I feel great, and have for months and months now, and I feel like I'm ready to go back to school and finish my degree (in psychology) and try to get higher education so I can help other Veterans out of depression (I want to be a psychologist, the Psy.D route).
      Anyway I'm at 100% right now for my bipolar disorder, and I'm getting re-rated in like 2 years. I have 1 month left on my 9/11 GI Bill, which isn't enough for me to finish my degree (I have 2 years left). I'm aware that I have to put in for Voc Rehab before using my last month of benefits in order to get the higher Voc Rehab BAH rate.
      So my question is, if I call up Voc Rehab and say "Hey I'm feeling well enough to do school again and work and I want to be a psychologist and help other Veterans get their lives together" will the Voc Rehab people immediately schedule me for a re-evaluation? Don't get me wrong I want to get off of this disability stuff but if Voc Rehab is going to pay me only the BAH for the school's zip code, that is not enough for me to live on without a roommate (I'm 30) or some other source of income, not even close, like, the BAH is 3k per month, and the cheapest studios around the school (within a 45-minute drive one way) are $1200, and there are so many people applying for the apartments that unless you can show you bring home an income that is 3x your rent (in this case $3600 per month), they won't rent to you. I already tried to move there on my current monthly income (3k) and I got no responses.

Living on campus is possible but would be a nightmare as I would have to spend 4 months out of the year living with my 62 year old mom and my stepdad in a cramped little house. It's just not realistic. I know for a fact they wouldn't let me live with them for 4 months out of the year. Even when I was homeless they were only going to let me stay there for 1 week until I got into a VA housing program. It especially wouldn't work if I wanted to take summer courses because the dorms are closed during the summer and my family lives in another state. I also wouldn't be able to maintain my current extremely-healthy diet because no cooking is allowed in the dorms (no hot plates or toaster ovens). I eat very specific health-food recipes and mealprep 3-4 days at a time. The dining facility at the college is okay but is incompatible with my superfood diet. I checked to see if the school has off-campus school-sponsored housing but they don't have any.
      Anyway, I could absolutely make it work even if I'm bumped down to 50%, but if they put me at 10% or something I'm going to have to get a job when I'm going to school which would be too hard for me to do while getting the grades I need to get into a Psy.D program. Transferring schools to a cheaper area isn't much of an option because my transcript is so awful right now that no one else will take me.
      Will Voc Rehab set my BAH to 3x the studio rent for the area so I can get an apartment? I can hear you laughing now, I've dealt with the VA, I know the answer is probably "Yeah sure, when pigs fly."
      Thanks for any help!
    • By K9handler13
      I was working in the TWE program. While I was in the program I was accepted to voc rehab the vr councelor said that I could not be in both programs so I withdrew from TWE upon my first appointment to vr the councelor told me that all they do is try to help with an entry level job.I stated that I was interested in schooling she told me that since I was 100% P&T for ptsd that I can't work or the VA would reduce my rating and that the vr was an employment program only and that they can not approve school or independent living, that I should have stayed in the TWE program but they as well are an employment program but that i needed an IEEP to justify my inability to adapt to working the 3 weeks that I spent on the TWE program was really making my irritability and depression worse all they had me doing was cleaning toilets and patient rooms. I have been a GM for a General Motors dealership and a VP for 2 different security companies yet I don't have a degree of any kind and upon relocating to a different state all of the local job market wants people with college background ie: bachelors to do what I was doing before I was awarded 100% seeing how both of these VA programs only help with entry level jobs I can't justify working for a minimum wage job and losing both my ssdi and VA I have never heard of the independent living program until the vr councelor mentioned it. I didn't inquire about it because she said that they didn't participate....anybody have advice please help
    • By Shadow Cat
      I need some input regarding a few regs. I returned to school last fall through VR&E, but was put on an IEEP because of a diagnosis of PTSD 8 years ago and rated 100% for it. I am a senior graduating in December and have always been a 4.0 GPA student. At the end of the semester, my new case manager decided that she was not going to fund my last semester (spring 2018, that I just finished) and i ended up paying for it out of my pocket. I was also put infront of a panel who a few weeks later made a "recomendation" (read mandated) for futher evaluations, neuropsychological evaluation, anger management skills group, and mental health counseling. I asked for an admin review and was told by one supervisor that I could not have one because there was a "recomendation" and not a decision made.  The following are a few messages between the supervisor and myself. What I really need is a solid way to push the issue with the regulations. They seem to think that they are fully justified simply because the did not put it in my IEEP.

In advance, Thank you.
      Bob
      leter 1

February 27, 2018
      David Crosby
      Department of Veterans Affaires
      VA Regional Office
      VR&E Division
      5400 W. National Avenue
      Milwaukee, WI 53214
      Dear David Crosby,
      I am writing to you to request that you review my record for an administrative review. The reason for this, is that I am in an IEEP and I strongly disagree with the panel’s decision based on the following:
      ·       As a full time, college senior with a 4.0 GPA, I have more than proven my abilities to deal with a stressful environment. I should be allowed to continue my education through the VR&E program.
      ·       My enrollment in the IEEP allows for an additional semester of education as long as the second semester is not to determine academic potential, which I have more than proven. I have met each of the requirements stated except, the last 2 bullets points, because they are the responsibility of the VA and not the veteran. Please see below.
      ·       I should also be able to continue to receive my subsistence pay as indicated below in part 3, 5.
      ·       The panel has recommended that I attend a neuropsychological evaluation, anger management skills group, and mental health counseling based from a rating decision made eight years ago.
      ·       The panel did not look at my medical records from the Seattle VA PSHCS to see the counseling, anger management and neuropsychological testing that I have gone through since the rating decision and the last neuropsychological test was done in 2012 after a motor vehicle accident to assist with TBI testing. This would show my progress and that I am in a place that I do not need the recommended objectives per my mental health team in Washington state. 
      ·       Per M28R, Part IV, Section C, Chapter 3 Revised March 31, 2014, GUIDELINES FOR THE DEVELOPMENT AND ADMINISTRATION OF AN EXTENDED EVALUATION PLAN, states that:
      38 CFR 21.53 states that the achievement of a vocational goal is reasonably feasible when the following conditions are met:
      1. A vocational goal has been identified, and
      2. The Veteran’s physical and mental conditions permit training for the goal to begin within a reasonable period, and
      3. The Veteran possesses the skills to pursue the vocational goal, or VR&E will provide the training necessary to achieve the goal.
      All of the above have been met. I have an identified goal that works in conjunction with my IT back ground in disaster recovery and business continuity.
      1. Program Goal
      Per 38 CFR 21.86, the program goal for an IEEP is to determine if the achievement of a vocational goal is currently reasonably feasible. If possible, a specific occupational goal or occupational cluster and a three-digit Dictionary of Occupational Titles (DOT) code are included. However, if the VRC is utilizing a fast track IEEP, or if the goal is not clearly defined, the use of DOT code 999 is permissible.
      38 CFR Ch. I 21.35 Definitions
      (2) The term achievement of a vocational goal is reasonably feasible means the effects of the veteran’s disability (service and nonservice-connected), when considered in relation to the veteran’s circumstances does not prevent the veteran from successfully pursuing a vocational rehabilitation program and becoming gainfully employed in an occupation consistent with the veteran’s abilities, aptitudes, and interests;
      (3) The term achievement of a vocational goal is not currently reasonably feasible means the effects of the veteran’s disability (service and nonservice connected), when considered in relation to the veteran’s circumstances at the time of the determination:
      (i) Prevent the veteran from successfully achieving a vocational goal at that time; or
      (ii) Are expected to worsen within the period needed to achieve a vocational goal and which would, therefore, make achievement not reasonably feasible.
      This is important because the information the panel had was not taken into consideration.
      The following from the same regulations are also not being met:
      4. Academic Programs
       Academic coursework may be an appropriate part of an extended evaluation plan, but services cannot consist solely of academic programs. In general, the IEEP should consist of no more than one term of academic coursework. However, one additional academic term may be approved if the reason for the additional term is not solely for the purpose of determining academic potential. When considering if an additional academic term is appropriate, the VRC must:
       • Determine that additional diagnostic and/or evaluative services are needed
      • Ensure that the second academic term is authorized in conjunction with these additional diagnostic and/or evaluative services
      • Address all feasibility concerns during the second academic term
      • Submit written documentation regarding the need for additional services that specifies how the additional services will assist in the determination of feasibility
      • Obtain concurrence from the VR&E Officer
      5. Subsistence Allowance
      Per 38 CFR 21.266, a Veteran participating in an extended evaluation program can receive a subsistence allowance. The allowance is paid in accordance to 38 CFR 21.260.
      3. Extended Evaluation and Independent Living Program
      A Veteran in a program of extended evaluation or an Independent Living (IL) program may be paid subsistence allowance for full, three-quarter, or half-time participation at the rate specified for institutional training in accordance with 38 CFR 21.260. It is important to note that per 38 CFR 21.260, subsistence allowance is not payable when pursuing a plan at less than half-time unless a determination of reduced work tolerance has been made or unless one-quarter time is allowable under an Individualized Extended Evaluation Plan (IEEP). If an extended evaluation or IL program is pursued on a less than a quarter-time basis, VA will only pay established charges for services provided. The procedures for processing an original or amended award found in M28R.V.B.8 should be followed when processing subsistence allowance for Veterans participating in an extended evaluation or IL program.
      Allowance during a period of extended evaluation is paid based on the rate of attendance and the number of dependents. Extended Evaluation program subsistence allowance rates:
      Number of Dependents
      Full Time
      Three Quarter Time
      One Half Time
      One Quarter Time
      No Dependents
      $605.44
      $454.92
      $304.39
      $152.17
      One Dependent
      $751.00
      $564.07
      $377.14
      $188.59
      Two Dependents
      $885.00
      $661.67
      $443.31
      $443.31
      Each Additional Dependent
      $64.50
      $49.61
      $33.10  
      $33.10  

As you can see, there are clearly problems with the decision that I would like to see resolved.
      Sincerely,

Reply: 
      Dear Mr. Klement:•
      In response to your letter of 03/08/2018. You are currently in an Extended Evaluation program. You have been provided with the one semester of academic instruction which was part of your extended evaluation. 
      According to the regulations to provide a second semester, it must be part of the extended evaluation with a written request for this second week.
      There is no written documentation of need for a second semester of training in your extended evaluation plan, or approval for a second semester. Without
      these items no reimbursement can not be made through the chapter 31 program.
      Sincerely, 
      Albert Hess
      Supervisory Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
      My reply,
      Dear Mr. Hess,
      Thank you for your recent reply. Again, my questions have not been answered. Again, I cite the regulation for the authorization for a second semester. I m fully aware of what the regulations say, because I cited it for you and I will again. This was why I wanted an administrative review. I want the second semester put in my IEEP and Ii have supplied the justification for it. Again, your office has failed to cite a regulation that counters this regulation. Also, your last correspondence failed to address the subsistence allowance that I am eligible for because I AM IN AN IEEP! These two things should have been in my plan and need to be added.  It was these two missing items from my IEEP that give justification for an administrative review that I asked for weeks ago.
      I would like to have this semester reimbursed since I am still in an IEEP. As long as it is not for academic feasibility, which my grades have more than proven that I am not, then I am allowed to have the second semester while still in the IEEP.  Per M28R, Part IV, Section C, Chapter 3, states “… however, one additional academic term may be approved if the reason for the additional term is not solely for the purpose of determining academic potential. When considering if an additional academic term is appropriate, the VRC must:

The panel has recommended more diagnostic testing, the psychiatric neurological meets this requirement
      • Ensure that the second academic term is authorized in conjunction with these additional diagnostic and/or evaluative services
                  This speaks for itself.
                  Has not been done.
      • Submit written documentation regarding the need for additional services that specifies how the additional services will assist in the determination of feasibility
                  This is your offices job.
      I have more than met this requirement. I would also request my monthly subsistence be restored, with back pay, since I am still in an IEEP, I should still be receiving my monthly subsistence and I am still in school full time.
      Per 38 CFR 21.266, a Veteran participating in an extended evaluation program can receive a subsistence allowance. The allowance is paid in accordance with 38 CFR 21.260.
      A Veteran in a program of extended evaluation or an Independent Living (IL) program may be paid a subsistence allowance for full, three-quarter, or half-time participation at the rate specified for institutional training in accordance with 38 CFR 21.260. The procedures for processing an original or amended award found in M28R.V.B.8 should be followed when processing subsistence allowance for Veterans participating in an extended evaluation or IL program.
      I am asking for this to be reviewed and answered for. I cannot ask in a more direct way than this, so there is no ambiguity or reason for it to not be addressed or understood. I have met the requirements for these two items. If not, please advise why and cite your source so I can find the corresponding regulations. I do not believe there is a counter to these regulations.
      VA responce:
      Dear Mr. Klement:                                                                                                                                                   
      In response to your letter of 02/27/2018, requesting an administrative review of the Vocational Rehabilitation Panel decision.  After review of the meeting notes of 01/26/2018 it is noted that the panel did not make a decision regarding your feasibility to pursue a vocational goal. Rather the panel extended your extended evaluation for another 3 to 6 months with recommendations which needed to be accomplished prior to making that decision.  You can communicate this information to present to the panel through your case manager Rosalie Cifaldi VRC. 
      The M28R, Part Ill, Section C, Chapter 33.05 Administrative Review
      a. Definition
      An administrative review is initiated after a formal decision is made. The review provides the resolution to uphold or overturn the formal decision. It focuses on    
      •questions regarding policy and procedures, application of the laws; regulatory­ guidelines or directives.
      With the continuation of your Extended Evaluation no formal decision was made concerning your feasibility to pursue a vocational goal. Therefore no administrative review can be conducted. 

Sincerely,
      Albert Hess
      Supervisory Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
      My reply:

Dear Mr. Hess,
      Thank you for your recent reply. Again, my questions have not been answered. Again, I cite the regulation for the authorization for a second semester. I m fully aware of what the regulations say, because I cited it for you and I will again. This was why I wanted an administrative review. I want the second semester put in my IEEP and Ii have supplied the justification for it. Again, your office has failed to cite a regulation that counters this regulation. Also, your last correspondence failed to address the subsistence allowance that I am eligible for because I AM IN AN IEEP! These two things should have been in my plan and need to be added.  It was these two missing items from my IEEP that give justification for an administrative review that I asked for weeks ago.
      I would like to have this semester reimbursed since I am still in an IEEP. As long as it is not for academic feasibility, which my grades have more than proven that I am not, then I am allowed to have the second semester while still in the IEEP.  Per M28R, Part IV, Section C, Chapter 3, states “… however, one additional academic term may be approved if the reason for the additional term is not solely for the purpose of determining academic potential. When considering if an additional academic term is appropriate, the VRC must:

The panel has recommended more diagnostic testing, the psychiatric neurological meets this requirement
                  This speaks for itself.
                  Has not been done.
      I have more than met this requirement. I would also request my monthly subsistence be restored, with back pay, since I am still in an IEEP, I should still be receiving my monthly subsistence and I am still in school full time.
      Per 38 CFR 21.266, a Veteran participating in an extended evaluation program can receive a subsistence allowance. The allowance is paid in accordance with 38 CFR 21.260.
      A Veteran in a program of extended evaluation or an Independent Living (IL) program may be paid a subsistence allowance for full, three-quarter, or half-time participation at the rate specified for institutional training in accordance with 38 CFR 21.260. The procedures for processing an original or amended award found in M28R.V.B.8 should be followed when processing subsistence allowance for Veterans participating in an extended evaluation or IL program.
      I am asking for this to be reviewed and answered for. I cannot ask in a more direct way than this, so there is no ambiguity or reason for it to not be addressed or understood. I have met the requirements for these two items. If not, please advise why and cite your source so I can find the corresponding regulations. I do not believe there is a counter to these regulations.
      Sincerely,
    • By thatguyVLAD
      I graduate soon and want to teach english overseas in either Japan or S. Korea but my GPA is too low for the requirements of the teaching credential program.  Is there a possibility that the VocRehab program would let me retake classes in order to raise my gpa?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Exams that were being sent strictly to contractors before, due to VAMCs not being open, are starting to be routed back to VAMCs. This is going forward from last Friday- not sure if prior scheduled exams will be re-created for VAMC vs vendor.
      • 7 replies
    • Mere speculation in your VA C and P exam

M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section D – Examination Reports III.iv.3.D.2.r. Examiner Statements that an Opinion Would be Speculative Pay careful attention to any conclusion by the examiner that an opinion could not be provided without resorting to mere speculation (or any similar language to that effect). VA may only accept a medical examiner’s … Continue reading
      • 0 replies
    • A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment...
      A favor please - just changed servers so if you have a moment go to https://www.hadit.com I'd like to see how the server handles a lot of traffic. So if you have a moment click the link and i can see how things are going on the back end.
      • 11 replies
    • It's time to ask for help from the community. If you can help with a gift it would be very appreciated.

Fund HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran LLC

Give a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 
      • 11 replies
    • Howdy all,

The VA DRO denied my claim for an earlier effective date for my sleep apnea. They originally denied it in 2008 but granted it in Nov 2019 secondary to my GERD. I was rated for GERD in 2001. So I had it in 2008. I have attached the 2008 denial, 2018 approval, and the NOD SOC. All of my medical files and the medical articles and VA Citations referenced were in existence in or before Jan 2008. The only new items were the NEXUS letter from Dr Bash and a few extra buddy letters. The original denial states that my medical records show no diagnosis or treatment and only isolated complaints of symptoms. The denial does not even list my wife's or my lay statements as evidence reviewed. I have symptoms listed numerous times in my SMRs:

a. Medical visit dated 24 Feb 76 for problem sleeping and depression.
      b. Physical exam dated 24 Jan 79 listed frequent/severe headaches" dizziness, and
      nervousness.
      c. Physical exam dated 07 Nov 83 listed frequent/severe headaches.
      d. Physical exam dated 16 Jan 85 listed frequent/severe headaches.
      e. Admitted to hospital 05 Aug 86 for chest pains and anxiety.
      f. Medical visit dated 14 Jul 87 for problem sleeping and morning confusion.
      g. Physical exam dated 25 Feb 88 listed dizziness.
      h. Physical exam dated 07 Oct 91 listed frequent/severe headaches
      i. Physical exam dated 25 Aug 93 listed headache.
      j. Hernia repair surgery dated 22 Ang 94 surgeon had to insert devices of some
      kind in each of my nostrils that went down into my throat to keep rny airway
      open and stop my disruptive snoring.
      k. Physical exam dated 29 Sep 99 listed frequent/severe headaches.

So could you all take a look and let me know what you think.

Redacted VA NOD SOC 04-09-2020.pdf
      VA 2008 Denial of OSA Redacted.pdf
      VA Claim Decision Ltr 08 Nov 2018 Redacted.PDF
      • 3 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines