VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How To Know What Injury Or Event Connects Current Issues

Rate this question

flow1972

Question

Some of you know, I'm new to all of this.  I feel like I'm trying to build a 5,000 piece puzzle with no picture or instructions to look at.  I currently have 10% SC for Tinnitus.  I have a C&P scheduled for the 18th of November for my PTSD caused by MST Claim.  I have a ton of things in my SMR's as well as CMR's that I have no idea how to connect the dots on.  Is there some "place" or "person" that assists with this stuff???  I feel lost, and I'm a Data person.

I have currently diagnosed conditions:

1. Carpal Tunnel

2. Raynaud's

3. IBS/Spastic Colon

4.  Current Gastritis 

5.  Just had my Tonsils out at 46 (yep...tonsil lesion after decades of recurrent pharyngitis/Strep/Tonsilitus)

6.  Lower back disk degeneration (been on my Xrays for years)

7.  Arthritis in hands (not RH)

8.  Cold Sores

9.  Asthma/Allergies

10.  Right Hip (Injections a few months ago)

11.  Vertigo (I believe it's Motorist Vestibular Disorientation, but the one time I asked my PCP about it, they thought it may be my allergies causing it)

I left service back in 1996.  I had just had my first child and was still recovering from the affects of Pre-Eclampsia.  ( All over my SMR's.)  No physical at Separation. I have things in my SMR's where I had Asthma as a child but no issues since early childhood (on my Entrance paperwork).  I also have an entry where they state there was a review of my Medical Records (Security Review for Above Top Secret) and "No Chronic Illnesses" or something to that affect.  I literally had 9 cases of URI/Bronchitis/Phneumonia or a related lung issue in my 5 years of service logged in my SMR's. 

There was 12 cases of Strep/Pharyngitis/Tonsillitis along with a visit for some stomach issues that went on for several weeks (pretty sure this is when my IBS started showing up), a broken 9th rib (got kicked by a horse in Germany), Left Ankle Overuse Syndrome (I don't know why it says this because I'm pretty sure that's when I got sever shin-splints in both legs), Right ankle sprain, left knee strain, left hand and wrist injury, left thigh myalgia 2nd degree strain..then I started having to be given meds for allergies/Asthma episodes again the last few years in service.  I had a ganglian cyst removed from my right hand just a little over a year after I left service...I've read there isn't a "known" true cause but arthritis can be a possible cause...

I'm just overwhelmed with what relates to what and so forth.  My Carpal Tunnel...you know they'll try to say that's 100% due to my work as a Data Analyst when the "know" hand/wrist injuries as well as job duties that require repetition also contribute...I even have a note in my SMR's about my fingers being numb while I was pregnant, but I guarantee they'll attribute that to the Edema from the Pre-E.  So.....how do you work through it all in the best way NOT to screw yourself????

Edited by flow1972

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

If you have never filed any claims before, the first thing to do is get together a list of things you want to claim. Looks like you have done much of that already. Don't wait to have all the evidence and records before filing. You should consider filing and "Intent to File" claim. This is where you tell the VA specifically what you want to file for. What this does is reserve your effective date. If you are within a year of leaving the service, your effective date is the day after you left the service. Otherwise, it is the date that you file. Effective dates are important because if you win your claims, the VA will pay you retroactively back to the effective date. You can always file additional Intent to File claims if you discovery additional issues you want to claim. Just remember Intent to File claims have a time limit of just one year. If you don't open a new claim by the time it expires, your claim will be denied and your effective date deemed void. The one year window gives you time to get everything together and submit your application for benefits.

Intent to File
https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/general/intenttofile.pdf

As others have mentioned this, but here are some additional things to gather before you submit your your application for benefits. Not all of these may apply, but it never hurts to request them. These requests need to be submitted in writing.

1. Service treatment records (medical/dental/hospital)
If you got out of the service in the past 20 years, get these from the VA medical center's Release of Information (ROI) office. They can print out the form and help you fill it out. Hospital records should be included for any instances where you may have been admitted, but there is a chance you might need to contact the facility directly.

2. VA medical treatment records
Get these from the VA medical center's Release of Information office (see #1). 

3. VA radiology/imaging records
These tend to be stored in a separate office at the VA medical center. You fill out the same release of information form and they will make a CD or DVD containing the imaging from studies like X-ray, CT scan, MRI, ultrasound, etc... They used to include the radiologist's report on the discs, but I don't think they do that any more. I had to get a recent radiologist report from the regular RIO office. 

3. Military personnel records
You can get these from the national archives. These should include your DD-214, some (not necessarily all) of your orders, awards, and other records covering your period of service.
https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

4. Get setup on VA's ebenefits web site
Go here and click register: www.myhealth.va.gov
This site allows you to pull up VA medical records, get VA lab results, get VA imaging results, refill VA medications, send secure messages to your VA doctor, and even download your military records. To take full advantage of the site, you have to do a bit of extra registration (see #5).

5. Ebenefits or va.gov
The VA is working to combine these two pages. You need to do an in person verification to get enhanced access. Once you submit a claim, it will eventually show up on va.gov and you can check the status. It's not always 100% perfect and can bounce back and forth (consider that indication of activity and don't get discouraged).
www.ebenefits.va.gov
www.va.gov

6. Non-VA treatment records
These can be medical, dental, or even mental health. Obtain those from your treating facility. Just be aware that some places may charge a reasonable fee to look them up and print them out.

7. If police were involved, request those records

8. Unit records
These might be handy depending on the circumstances. You can request these from the national archives. Here's a good presentation to help you get an idea of what can be requested and why it might matter. Just keep in mind that depending on the type of records, they may have different retention requirements and may be destroyed at various intervals. Some records must be retained for long periods of time or even forever (i.e. military personnel file).
https://www.archives.gov/files/calendar/know-your-records/dec8-veterans-presentation.pdf

9. Buddy statements
These are statements that can come from friends, family members, coworkers or even fellow service members. They must be objective in that the buddy can state what they observed, but should make no attempt to diagnose any medical or psych condition unless they happen to be a properly qualified professional. The VA will consider them as evidence, but sometimes does not give them considerable weight. The good thing to know about getting SC is you don't need to have 100% certainty or even 75% certainty. The VA requires "relative equipoise" which means if the evidence is at least 50% for you and 50% against, they must give you the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes buddy statements can tip those scales in your favor.

10. VA claims file
This is the collection of records the VA has on you. If you never filed, there probably won't be much there. The VA tends to take a long time to provide these. You can request them as paper or on disk. It never hurts to request them every few years or so, depending on what has been going on between you and the VA.
To request, look up VA form VA3288 Request for and Consent to Release Information From Individual's Records. Mail it off to the Va.

It is not required that you collect everything before filing a new claim, but it can help to eventually get a copy of everything pertaining to you, military service, treatment, etc...

Once I got all my records together, the first thing I did was go through them very carefully. It took a long time, but I just did it casually a couple of hours per week. My service treatment records were on paper because I got out in 1995. I had to find a doctor to help decipher some of the handwriting scribble. As I went through everything, I scanned each document into my computer to a separate file. I named the file like "YYYY-MM-DD {and a brief description}.pdf". I keep a backup copy on CD and a USB flash drive in my fireproof safe. I also made a master list document consisting of the date, name of involved facility/person, brief description, and even broke it out a bit further. For example, I had a car accident while in the service, so I noted that. Make it easy to search and find what you need just like a table of contents or index in a book. When it came time to file a new claim, I was able to easily locate document for the specific dates, locations, and circumstances. It sure beats going through a mountain of paper and trying to remember everything.

A VSO can be very helpful, but ultimately you are still responsible for your claim. They can help you navigate the VA system, but don't expect a VSO to go through everything and connect all the dots. My initial VA claim was submitted by a VSO and consisted of a single sentence containing each claimed condition. They said the VA will go through everything and make a decision. One thing you will learn about the VA is they make mistakes often. That's what happened to me. After appealing my initial claim, it took a very long time to get service connection awarded. Years later I found out that I should have had a higher rating because the VA made some mistakes, but I filed with the VA and informed them of the errors. 

If the VA sends you a rating decision on your claim, don't assume it is 100% correct. They might have missed or overlooked something, incorrectly denied, or granted the wrong rating percentage.

Learn about how the VA calculates disability percentages:
This page includes the combined ratings table. 10% + 10% does not equal 20%. The page explains how they calculate your combined rating percentage, which is how the VA determines monthly disability compensation rates.
https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/rates-index.asp

Learn about VA service connection percentages and benefits:
https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/resources-rates-read-compAndSMC.asp

Learn about the VA rating criteria for each disability and criteria for disability percentages. The current version can be found at this link:
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=6802aa4a909160700733c1b265930f4e&mc=true&node=pt38.1.4&rgn=div5

Learn about VA compensation and pension (C&P) exams, which are often used, but not always required. The VA doc will use a disability questionnaire (DBQ) for the specific body systems to examine you, perform tests, and note the findings. You can print the form out and take it you a non-VA doc and have them fill it out. If you do that, do some research here in nexus statements and independent medical exams and opinions (IMO's or IME's) because they need to include some specific details.
https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/dbq_disabilityexams.asp

You can actually call the VA hotline:
1-800-827-1000. Ask them any questions you want, but just keep in mind that they may not always have all the answers. They can send you forms, talk about benefits, how to apply, but are just front line call center agents. For active claims, I call about once a week to get the pulse of what is going on. The va.gov site is a bit abstracted which is why I call. If they give you flaky advice, you can always call back and talk with someone else or just ask folks here for their unprofessional opinion.

Check out the AskNOD web site:
It is a blog run by one of our members. There are some great articles. He is also a certified rep and can help represent you officially for a fee, but keep in mind he is pretty busy and doesn't accept all types of claims.
https://asknod.org

Go to the main hadit.com page and examine the blogs and other articles. You can browse and search the forums. There is a wealth of information here. Don't hesitate to post questions.

Laws/regulations in effect change over time due to changes in laws, regulations, and even court rulings. Keep this in mind if you look up anything that might be over a year old.

Most Important: If you post any details, screenshots, or documents online to the forums, be sure to redact or omit any personally identifiable information.

1 hour ago, Vync said:

Wow!  You are wealth of information!  I have done quite a bit of what you already outlined.  I have my SMR's already.  I already requested and rcvd my in-patient records from in service.  I don't have the X-Ray scans though.  I'll have to request those.  I haven't been seen by a VA Doc/Facility yet.  I just got registered to use them last week.  I've gathered most of my CMRs.  I do have a gap from when I got out for a few years...can't remember the PCP I used way back then.  I had surgery on my hand just a little over a year after leaving service though, and I finally have those records being sent to me.  I think the old PCP is on them as the "referring physician".  I have my personnel records, but I noticed the leave requests and such weren't included.  Not that I need those at this time; just noticed that kind of stuff wasn't included.  I got out in 1996, and I've kept the giant file of my SMR's for years.  Just figured they'd come in handy one day...and here we are.  LOL  I'm also in the process of scanning everything and noting what each sheet contains and date as well as making a spreadsheet to cross-reference.  I'm a Data Analyst (actually a BI Manager now), so I'm all about detail and easy look-up.  I have the OSI Investigation Report and am in the process of obtaining the Action Report from the assault that happened to me in Germany.  So...I'm getting up to speed as quick as I can.  I've decided to focus on one thing at a time...otherwise, it's just too much information to unpack and really understand.  I have my C&P for my PTSD due to MST claim coming up in November.  I'm SERIOUSLY not looking forward to that....literally to the point of it's making me sick to my stomach.  So...to take my mind off of it, I started building out a folder itemizing the many URI/Bronchitis/Walking Pneumonia/Asthmatic Bronchitis/Allergic Rhinitis/Allergy entries in my SMRs.  Building out a time line..then going to work on the CMRs that link to that stuff and see what it all looks like.  That's a lot in and of itself..so, one major thing at a time.  Really appreciate the info!

I know it is easy to say but try to relax about your PTSD/MST exam.  Yes they will make you go over uncomfortable things and it may seem to be an inquisition.  The examiner is just trying to get all of the necessary information so he can make a decision.  They expect you to be nervous and not have fun recalling details.  Do not get angry or mad at the examiner, he/she is just doing their job.  I have been through six or more and have had all manners of examiners, each has their own style but usually they are very good with you.

If you draw a jerk for an examiner, which I have, and they are goading you just remember not to get mad, if you do you lose. 

Don't drink coffee before your exam unless you need it to function. 

Go in appropriately dressed and fixed up like you would when you normally go out.

Always be honest, even if it hurts.  If you are caught in a falsehood you lose.

Any special records that have a strong bearing on your case bring along and offer them to the examiner.  The VA is supposed to provide all of your records but you may already have a file several inches thick and it is hard to pull all of the necessary information out of them in the time they have allotted.

7 minutes ago, vetquest said:

I get what you're saying...the issue for me is the whole "putting me in front of a person in charge who will now judge my integrity as I am forced to recite what I already wrote in my statement".  This particular situation...is part of what I carry with me.  It is the reason I don't talk to anyone about it...or haven't for a long time.  To be 21..all alone in a foreign country...and have some Commander you don't know request your presence in his office (by yourself) so that you can "tell him" what OSI already gave him in a written statement...while he looks at you with disdain and talks to you like you're a whore (sorry for the word choice..don't know how else to say that) and you're being one is now a problem "for him to deal with" that you probably brought on yourself....yeah...really don't want to relive the exact scenario...ever.

I wouldn't take a person with PTSD from a Combat situation and make them walk in to a Combat situation to prove they have it....so...I'm doing it because I have to, but it's making things worse...not better...

I have been there somewhat.  I was disabled due to an injury in service that caught up with me.  The secretary of the Navy had written a directive that said what I had was pre-existing.  I was no longer able to perform my duties and was discharged at the convenience of the government, illegally, not even allowed to have social security or unemployment benefits.  My first C&P's diagnosed me with hypochondria, then they turned around and reported me as unfit to have a drivers license. I got tired of seeing doctors and shrinks that said there was nothing wrong with me, that I was a malinger or worse.  I had made Staff Sergeant (E-6) in seven years and was at the prime of my health when I was suddenly having what looked like seizures and temperatures as high as 108 degrees.  I was over $30,000 in debt the first year paying for medical care and living expenses and I could not hold a job.  The doctors ignored the evidence and made derogatory reports.  I was fighting to survive without any help.

I will not lie to you, sometimes it gets worse before it gets better. But you have to decide whether or not you want to fight this.