VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How and what do I file?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Afternoon folks,

Normally I'm here asking questions, getting expert opinions..., about veterans I'm trying to help, but today it's about ME.

My status: I'm IU P&T 100%;  90%  scheduler.

For many years now, since 1990, I've had a 0% service connected rating on hearing loss, have filed many times to have it increased, only to find out that because my ear was draining every time I had a hearing test, my claim was denied. Crazy huh?

Well anyway, yesterday I finally got a hearing test , and my ear was NOT draining, the test was given by a doctor outside of the VA health care system, and I have the test results in hand, and they read "Moderately Severe" hearing loss.

Oh, under the new Mission Act, the VA referred me to the doctor who administered me the above hearing test.

My goal is to get at least 10% from the hearing test, (and yes I know the VA doesn't do the math like the rest of us), and to go from IU P&T 100% to 100% Scheduler.

As a footnote, I already have 30% for vertigo(dizziness and staggering), and 10% Bilateral otitis media.

So, having said/written this, here are my questions:

1. Do I file a new claim for the hearing test results, or file a claim to increase the 0% already established?

2. Once the VA accepts the new claim, and approves it(yes I'm confident), other than the additional 10% increase, will any back pay from 1990 be due me?

3. Can I expect more than 10% due to hearing loss?

Thanks,

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

13 minutes ago, allansc2005 said:

Now, am I right that in order to be eligible for SMC, one condition HAS to be 100%?

The question is too general...   but if you are asking about the SMC S,   AKA Housebound.... 

A veteran may be eligible for Housebound Benefits when:

• They have a single permanent disability evaluated as 100-percent disabling AND, due to that disability, they are permanently and substantially confined to their home
  • They have a single permanent disability evaluated as 100-percent disabling AND, another disability, or disabilities, evaluated as 60 percent or more disabling. ( a TDIU based on one rating can qualify as the 100% rating for House bound benefits )