VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New C&P exam 2 years after getting disability?

Rate this question

ErinNick

Question

Hey guys!  You all were very helpful when my husband was going through the PTSD claim process.  He finally received his approval Oct of 2017.  He just received a phone call on Thursday letting him know he has a new C&P exam scheduled for the 25th.  He never asks a lot of questions, but can anyone tell me why?  Are they trying to take away his 70% disability?  Are they trying to rate him higher?  What is the purpose for this after him being 70% disabled for 2 years.  I can tell you, he is NOT any better than 2 years ago.  He's lost a job and had a week stay at a private hospital for his PTSD during these 2 years.  I'm just so confused why he is having to do another exam.

Write that letter. 

Try to get him back into therapy.  PTSD vets are known for stopping treatment and that is the worst thing they can do.  If he is getting fired every several years that is a bad thing and that should be brought up.  If he is affecting the children maybe it is time that he make another visit to the VA inpatient program.  We want to stop his bad behavior before he gets to police involvement.  Hang in there.  We know it is always tough.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Be prepared. It never hurts to get familiar with the rating criteria and the disability questionnaire (DBQ). The criteria isn't set in stone, but gives a good idea of what the VA will be looking for. The DBQ gives you an idea of what questions will be asked.

§4.130   Schedule of ratings—Mental disorders.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders

Rating
Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name. 100
Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships. 70

Here's the DBQ:

Review Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

So we got his results from the C&P exam today and they want to drop it from 70% to 50%.  We are going to fight it, of course, but I don't see how they can think his PTSD is any better when he was just in the hospital a little over a year ago for 6 days and has lost 2 jobs this year.  Just because he's attending his therapy doesnt mean he is getting better!  Ugh, I'm so frustrated.  He doesnt have a job currently.. if we lose his 70%, we lose our house.  I'm a little on edge..

What you posted does not make sense to me.  "Results from a C and P exam" is very different from a "proposed reduction".  Did you get a proposed reduction or are you guessing that you will based upon the c and p exam?  

If you dont get a proposed reduction letter, you wont be reduced.  Its required.  

It sounds like you are talking "out of fear", and while reductions are possible, they dont happen all that often.  And worrying about them never helps.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder
18 hours ago, ErinNick said:

So we got his results from the C&P exam today and they want to drop it from 70% to 50%.  We are going to fight it, of course, but I don't see how they can think his PTSD is any better when he was just in the hospital a little over a year ago for 6 days and has lost 2 jobs this year.  Just because he's attending his therapy doesnt mean he is getting better!  Ugh, I'm so frustrated.  He doesnt have a job currently.. if we lose his 70%, we lose our house.  I'm a little on edge..

The C&P Examiner  is saying your hubby 70% PTSD Rating don't meet the 70% rating criteria he was rated for two years ago, they go by symptoms not hospital stays .

if he was in the MH Ward  then check the Dr's notes for  his symptoms back then, the therapist he is seeing may have  put a note in your hubby progress notes that he is doing better or showing improvment during his sessions with her/him?  this is usually how the R.O. Finds out  they randomly select these notes.  

But as broncovet mention  don't worry about a reduction unless he gets the proposal  letter to reduce his benefits from 70% back to 50%.

you will have 60 days to reply back and let them know what you want to do  DRO HEARING or DRO Review...but you need to show he is about the same  or he is actually worse.

if he does  you guys will need to appeal and gather up new evidence that he either stayed the same or  as actually got worse...you need a qualified Dr to opien on this and examine him read is medical records and give his profess opinion he either stayed the same or his symptoms have got worse.  depending on how bad his symptoms are/?

Broncovet is right. It seems that you are putting the cart before the horse so to speak. Until you get an official letter with a proposed reduction, nothing is official. If he has "a medical paper trail documenting his symptoms" then you have nothing to worry about. If he does not, then get him the help he deserves. The VA cannot use an isolated piece of evidence (ex: therapy notes of improvement) as justification to reduce his rating. They are required by laws and regulations to consider the "totality of the evidence" and then make an equitable and just decision on whether or not to reduce his rating. Stay positive and optimistic. We are here to help!!