VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New C&P exam 2 years after getting disability?

Rate this question

ErinNick

Question

Hey guys!  You all were very helpful when my husband was going through the PTSD claim process.  He finally received his approval Oct of 2017.  He just received a phone call on Thursday letting him know he has a new C&P exam scheduled for the 25th.  He never asks a lot of questions, but can anyone tell me why?  Are they trying to take away his 70% disability?  Are they trying to rate him higher?  What is the purpose for this after him being 70% disabled for 2 years.  I can tell you, he is NOT any better than 2 years ago.  He's lost a job and had a week stay at a private hospital for his PTSD during these 2 years.  I'm just so confused why he is having to do another exam.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your hubby can get TDIU  This pays double as to what he is getting now and as other benefits  It makes a world of difference with the monthly payment  when IU OR 100%  from 70%

In your review or Appeal ask for the IU due to he can't keep a job due to his Service connected disability.   if you don't ask they don't always deferred the IU    ....>go for the TDIU P%T

*Note* sometimes a Proposal is  Blessing in Disguise  because if he can show he is actually worse  (w./Medical documentation) then an increase is certainly possible rather than a decrease.  so going from 70% to 100%  would be wonderful for you guys.

Good Luck

On 12/20/2019 at 11:56 PM, ErinNick said:

social security and TDIU

SSDI with his rating and work history may not be that hard to get. I am rated at 70% for mental and it is what I got SSDI for. Still working on TDIU. TDIU is individual unemployability. You can do a search for - M21-1 TDIU. That will give you a lot of what the rater is looking at. The VA will send letters to the last few places he worked to see why he left. Hopefully they will answer with something that will be positive for him.

Here are a couple of things from m21-1 TDIU -

IV.ii.2.F.1.i.  Vocational and Educational History in IU Determinations 
A Veteran’s employment, educational, and training history are relevant to determining the types of employment the Veteran would be qualified to secure and follow.  In determining whether a Veteran has the ability to secure and follow a substantially gainful occupation, attention must be given to a Veteran’s
employment history, such as
type of work
length of employment 

IV.ii.2.F.1.j.  Limitation of Ability in IU Determinations 
In determining whether a Veteran has the ability to secure and follow a substantially gainful occupation, attention must be given to whether the Veteran has the ability to perform the types of activities required by the occupation at issue.
 mental limitations concerning
memory
concentration, and/or
ability to
adapt to change
handle work-place stress
get along with co-workers,
and/or
demonstrate reliability and productivity.

So after appealing the VA to drop my husband's rating down to 50% from 70% and asking for TDIU as well, it seems his appeal has been closed as of May 1st and there is a deposit of over $5K in his checking account.  I checked the disability tab and it's showing he's still at 70% and he's never stopped getting 70% pay, even while all of this was going on.  So.. what do you guys take of this over $5K retroactive pay?  Did he possibly get TDIU?  If he was denied, he wouldn't have gotten any retroactive pay, right?  We should be getting all the results soon, but I'm just so anxious!

4 hours ago, ErinNick said:

what do you guys take of this over $5K retroactive pay?

It's your lucky day!! You could call 1-800-827-1000 and see if they could tell you what is going on. Otherwise I think you just have to wait for them to send you some paperwork.