• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

TropicLightning125

Did Sciatic Paralysis, Neuralgia, or radiculopathy exist as a rating in 2000?

Question

First I'd like to thank all of you for the great assistance you provide! I'm a long time lurker but finally created an account to post this question to the experts today.

Background:

- Discharged from active duty in September 2000

- Participated in a "VA Pilot Program" where you sat with a VA clerk during out-processing to determine any potential disability claims, which were then submitted by the clerk for you.

- In Jan 2001, received a decision letter with the following rating, back dated to my date of discharge: "Service connection for degenerative disease of low back has been established as directly related to military service. An evaluation of 10 percent is assigned under diagnostic code 5293. An evaluation of 10 percent is assigned if there are mild symptoms associated with intervertebral disc syndrome."

Fast forward to 2018. I experienced a herniated L4-L5 disc and had a (mostly unsuccessful) discectomy . I applied for an increase for my Degenerative Disease of the lower back and for radiculopathy of the sciatic nerve in both legs. My claim was closed in October 2019 with no increase for the Degenerative Disc Disease (a story for another time, but a bad C&P was involved and I've already filed a supplemental), and new secondary ratings for the radiculopathy: 10% Left Leg and 10% Right Leg back dated to my 2018 surgery and the right leg increased for some unknown reason to 20% on the date of my (bad) C&P exam in August 2019.

My question:

In reviewing my original 2000 claim decision letter today, I found this statement listed under FACTS: "MRI findings have revealed degenerative changes and degenerative disc disease of the lumbar spine. EMG studies have revealed mild chronic recurrent L-4 root irritation."

Keep in mind, at the time of discharge I was only rated for the Degenerative Disc Disease, not any leg/nerve issues, though it is clear from my Service Medical Records I also had recurring leg pain and numbness.

Is it odd that they literally called out the EMG results in my rating decision but did not grant an award for Sciatic Paralysis/Neuralgia/Radiculopathy back in 2000? Based on the current schedule (http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/lowernerves.html) I think the "mild chronic recurrent L-4 root irritation" would have granted a rating of 10% for incomplete partial paralysis (8520) and/or neuralgia (8720). But...did these codes even exist back in 2000? I certainly was not aware or told that the nerve/leg pain was a separate rating. How would I even go about finding out if these diagnostic codes existed in 2000?

In the event there was a rating available for this back in 2000, would this be something that would be eligible for a CUE? Obviously after almost 20 years I'm well outside the window to appeal the decision, but I feel the clear unmistakable evidence is right in the VA's own decision letter, and 20 years of an additional 10% rating makes this worth my time and energy.

Thanks again for all you do!

Edited by TropicLightning125
fix subject

2 hours ago, Vync said:

@Richard1954 You can be granted SC for both asthma and COPD, but under pyramiding they would use the higher rating of the two to be factored (as compensable) into your combined disability rating. if one gets worse to warrant a higher rating, consider filing for an increase.

Yes...  in my case I was at 60% for Asthma and 30% for secondary COPD, which never made sense because both were rated based  on the  Pulmonary Functions test... so both should have been 60%.. So when I did the CUE, the VA severed the rating for COPD, but by the time they severed the rating I was already on Oxygen so they increased me to 100% for do to home oxygen use under 6602 Asthma.  However,  Asthma rating do not include a 100% rating for oxygen use.  Technically,  I still hold the 30% for COPD ( and sleep apnea for 50% ) but they are all lumped in together with one rating. Ironically while they severed the separate 30% rating for the COPD  they did not sever the rating  for sleep apnea.  To have 1 rating for 3 issues really suck. While Asthma and COPD overlap, sleep apnea is not a pulmonary disease it is a sleep disorder.  Even though Asthma & COPD do overlap they are completely different diseases. In Asthma after an attack lungs return to normal, in COPD lungs just continue to go downhill, so technically they should not lump any of the three into one rating.  But the VA is going to do what they want to do.  What really gets me upset about this is that the VA doesn't give any consideration to special compensation and that doesn't seem right. Many people with COPD have a 100% rating due to oxygen use, and that is  bad enough, but to have 3 conditions really makes my life harder. The point I am trying to make is that they all have individual challenges yet the VA treats them  as one disease. It just isn't right.....  anyway sorry for the dissertation.  

• Like 1

I agree with you. I don't believe it is right for the VA to use pyramiding to get out of paying veterans for all disabilities. It would be really nice if the pyramiding rule can eventually get ruled unconstitutional.

7 hours ago, Vync said:

I agree with you. I don't believe it is right for the VA to use pyramiding to get out of paying veterans for all disabilities. It would be really nice if the pyramiding rule can eventually get ruled unconstitutional.

Maybe I am just the one to challenge the rule... since in my case its so apparent that the rules were designed to prohibit actually disability ratings and compensations.... 

• Like 1

If they are part of the same system the highest of tha two awards is fair. It's not possible at some level to separate comorbidities and separate which cause what or which contributes to what. I dont think we need to be compensated for every single condition If they are rating the system already with the highest of two or more possible ratings. Just my two cents. Not popular, but that's what it is. They don't have to pay us at all (Obviously there's a contract, but they didn't have to do that, either). I think the service connection is more important. That way if you happen to succumb to it there is potential DIC for your widow or dependents.

Edited by brokensoldier244th

4 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

that way if you happen to succumb to it there is potential DIC for your widow or dependents.

Thankfully  between my TDIU award in 1999, and my 100% award in 2007.... I have  20 years so DIC is not an issue for me... 

In may case separated countable disability ratings are not going to increase my compensation so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter ...but  principally it should matter 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Sherminater
      Hello fellow Vets!
      I recognize it’s a lot to read... It’s my first time making a blog post and I want to be clear and get solid and knowledgable responses from y’all. Thanks in advance!!
      History... Filed a claim for VA disability benefits April 2013. Hand delivered over 200 documents in support of my claim to the Houston VA office in January 2014 (prior to a decision letter on my claim). Decision letter received in March 2014. Failed to achieve a rating above zero percent on any of the disabilities claimed and no service connection for Major Depressive Disorder(MDD). 
      The documents I filed at the VA were date stamped Jan 8, 2014 and included the only records I had in support of this claim, especially for the MDD.

Fast forward... Intent to File submitted in August 1, 2018 (at my attorneys direction). His office then submitted a supplemental (including 16 pages of the very same supporting documents that I submitted to the VA in 2014) on the 364th day. 

Well,  that supplemental got me appointments with two different C&P professionals and resulted in a combined rating of 70% (10% knee and 70% MDD) effective July 30, 2019. The same VA documents filed by me in 2014 and (fewer) mailed with the supplemental were recently reviewed at my C&P exam by the psychologist conducting the interview. He asked for my help to show him any document in my file that made it clear and unmistakable that my MDD was/is service connected. It took all of thirty seconds to search his computer with my VA records on it to locate a document from my psychiatrist and head of psychiatry at my last duty station. These are the very same documents which were in the VA’s possession prior to my initial claim attempted in 2013/2014. Meaning there is NO new or compelling evidence!
      Question 1 - So why did they schedule (allow) these appointments and the case to be reopened with no new and/or relevant evidence? 
      Question 2 - Why was it right (or was it) for my attorney to file a supplemental (vs. just filing for a new claim)? At least with a new claim I may have been able to receive (the 11 or so months of) backpay from the Intent to File date.
      It seems the supplemental has NO benefit over just requesting to open a new claim. Or is it not allowed for veterans to file a new claim for any previously claimed ailment(s)?
      Question 3 - Is it a fact that the VA made a clear and unmistakable error with regard to no service connection for MDD?
      ... by not reviewing those documents which were right in front of them? And if the documents prove the date they were filed, isn’t it undeniable? And if I am now rated at 70%....
      Question 4 - Shouldn’t this be one of those CUE cases that should/could be potentially won for backpay to April 2013?
      This is the first time they scheduled me for ANY C&P appointments for any reason ever. Yet, this is at least the third attempt at filing a VA disability claim.

Question 5 - What makes the VA decide for or against these C&P exam appointments?

• By J McB
      Note: My claim(s) are under Legacy Appeals
      I received a Rating Decision where the VA acknowledges CUE, though I didn't claim CUE, but the decision admits CUE...
      I did write in my NOD supporting statement, "NYCRO committed unmistakable egregious errors when they closed my 2016 claims," but nothing about claiming 'Clear and Unmistakable Error(s)'.
      So then, I'm feeling like this CUE claim by the VA is some...thing they've done to put a halt on that component of my claim...which is retroactive for TDIU...
      In my SOC appeal I took the route of "I dunno" 🙃 lay person filing appeal and posed the question under footnote noting something along the lines that 38CFR doesn't say (or least I couldn't find anything) about a CUE itself being a CUE...
      Questions,
      1. I didn't claim CUE but the VA did, how do I respond accordingly? 
      2. Are they trying to put the kabash/narrow my options for their not processing TDIU retroactive?

• By Vync
      Hello everyone,
      I have been chewing on this one for quite a while and believe this final draft CUE is ready to be submitted to the VA. The decision maker failed to follow the laws in effect at the time. No judgement call factors.
      Please feel free to tear it apart and offer any suggestions. I wanted to keep it down to about two pages, explain the error, include excerpts from evidence, and include laws in effect at the time.

• By Justaskpat
      I was all set to use the 21-0958 for for my NOD when I happened to notice the decision I am disagreeing with said to use 21-0995. I looked up 21-0995 and it said it's the "new and improved" faster response form. If there is such a thing as a "faster response" form, I'd like to use it. The 20-0995 makes it sound as if it can be used for both CUE and NOD. I need to submit multiple of both and I don't want to screw it up. Have any of you use this form? thanks
    • By RBrogen
      Hello Everyone,
      I wanted to put a situation out to you all and get your feedback as it would relate to a potential presumption of soundess cue claim.
      Back story:  1983 - In high school I tried out for varsity football (note I am 5'5" and 135lbs at that time) so I could have some level of social life.  First day of practice a kid ran into my left side and hurt my knee.  I DID NOT seek medical attention, never went to the doctor and was fine the next day (though I did decide not to try out for football any longer).
      Fast Forward:  1985 - I joined the Army National Guard and NO MEDICAL ISSUES were noted on my entrance exam.  I transitioned from ARNG to RA in 1987 and did not have anything listed on the exam for that either.  I was Airborne and have STR entries for strained MCL, Achilles and Twisted knee.
           1991 - I got out of the service with a lumbosacral strain issue with 20% disability at that time.  
          1996 - I had meniscal surgery on left knee
          1997 - I had surgery on my right knee was going to physical therapy.  During the review the physical therapist did to get medical history they asked me about injury history and so I told them the only issue I ever had was the issue in high school which was really a non issue but I was being honest and the meniscus surgery the prior year.  They incorrectly annotated on my record that the high school knee injury was "torn meniscus" by combining my two statements into their notes to read high school knee injury (torn meniscus).
          1999 - I filed a claim for bilateral knee issues and was denied because the rater read that note and said that I had a pre-existing condition.  There is no medical evidence of my high school knee issue because I never went to the doctor and the next day it was fine.
      I was finally able to get a rater who service connected and rated for both knees and ankles and nexus was established for marching/jumping in service.  I didn't know exactly why I was originally denied but after getting my c-file I figured out that it was all because of a physical therapist not taking proper notes.
      My question is that I don't think they properly applied the presumption of soundness rule in my case because the rater had no direct medical evidence to prove that I had a pre-existing condition and the entrance exam(s) were negative for any medical conditions.  I'd like to get your thoughts.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Any one heard of this , I filed a claim for this secondary to hypertension, I had a echo cardiogram, that stated the diagnosis was this heart disease. my question is what is the rating for this. attached is the Echo.

doc00580220191213082945.pdf
      • 6 replies
    • Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 18 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
    • I was denied SC for IBS and GERD IN 2011. In 2019 I was awarded SC for GERD. This CUE  is for 2011, both GERD and IBS. There are some odd aspects regarding the 2011 decision, the way it was written and the C&P report and the way it was written. I've tried to present this as clearly as I can. Note: the decision contradicts itself. the decision also contradicts the C&P Report. Honestly, I think the rater just got confused because the C&P was so poorly written. *THIS CUE HAS NOT YET BEEN SUBMITTED*Please let me know what you think. Appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks.

VA RATING DECISION MARCH 23 2011 GERD IBS.pdf C P REPORT 7312010 GERD IBS.pdf GERD IBS CUE 2011(1).pdf

C P ADDENDUM REQUEST RE DIAGNOSIS 7232010.pdf
      • 56 replies
    • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims
      When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a Veterans Affairs Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing Veterans Affairs Disability Claims. [Reprinted here with permission from Veterans Law Blog]
      • 0 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines