Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Virtual EMDR Therapy??? Anyone had this?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My VA Therapist used this treatment on me on my last session and said we will start it next week?

Any one use the Virtual  EMDR Therapy to help with PTSD? Anxiety, Depression, Guilt? ect,,,ect,,,,

Virtual EMDR is online therapy based on Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

What was your reaction to it?..Did It help you?

She took her finger/hand and waved it across back and forth in front of me as I watch her hand with my eyes  never moving my head   she did this for about a minute or two( seems like longer) we did this 4 times

each time she stopped  she ask me just what was I thinking at the end  and ask me on a scale from 1 -10 my anxiety level???

I am confused as to what to say?  this is all new to me  my answer was '' I am sorry but I a confused or I really do not understand this? she said what was you thinking when I stopped my hand  and what was your anxiety level...I was confused  but told the truth my anxiety level was high.

Not sure just how this helps?  I will ask her that next session.

But if any of you have used this therapy method did it help you ?(explain) please

Thanks

Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• Adminstrator
19 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Well I was not thinking about my stressors or war related crap I try my best not to think about what happen what I seen and what I did  that was years ago,

when she ask me what I was thinking about when she stopped..I had no Ideal she wanted me to mention or any parts of my stressors?  actually I was thinking what I wanted for lunch but I never mention that to her I just said I was not thinking about anything in particular but my stress/anxiety level was getting higher at the moment.

I agree with dustoff11,go fishing...but I have avoiding problems I do not like to mingle in the public or be out in public  I only go out in public when I absolutely have to rather VA  Appointments or having to go to the grocery store I get what I need and get back home   my home  and bedroom is my sanctuary  so-to speak.

I don't really mind going to the VA Therapist because she has help me cope with this crap  learning me the tools needed to get by during a panic attact  and anxiety flare ups..I have anger Issues and I've had it a long time  take it out on my kids while they were growing up and my spouse...I am lucky she stayed with me all these years  and my children are grown up now educated and have good jobs and their own family's  and the biggest thing to me is they don;t hate me for the way I treated them during their childhood I deprived my family of a lot of happy things because of my behavior, we never went to family get togethers and my spouse covered for me all these years when someone would ask her whats wrong with me.

Tried for years to hide my behavior problem and finally seeked help. (at the VA)

No I was never physically abusive to my family  just was never active to go do the things family's would do together .

but I just can't cope in public  if someone walks up to me I go into fighting mode and my heart rate goes up  and anxiety gets the best of me...I still have a fear of everyone wanting to do harm to me   you guys know that have PTSD  knows what I mean here..I just can't get myself to understand or get out of this train of thought OR Lose the Avoidiness ..I go to therapy because that is why I am alive today  and just getting on hadit and trying to help veterans win claims and visiting with you all.

@Buck52I totally get where you are coming from and the way we are raised does not do us any favors

Society teaches us to be a MAN and not to CRY or ignore you feelings!

So for those of us who have seen combat it is even harder as we are less than 1% of the population of the US, so most people  will never understand what you are going through! 

Knowing this is part of the battle!  Knowing it is ok to feel and to express yourself is Ok!  Your family will still love you!  

I think the hardest part is to learn to let yourself heal!  You have scars no one will ever see!  You have pain no one else can ever feel!  So allowing yourself to get help is really the hardest part!  Be vulnerable!

I had a very messed up childhood and so for me I have always been in fight or flight mode!  I have a million walls up!  I will run from a situation and never look back!   

Think of this as your next step in healing!  This will open up those old wounds, and give you a chance to heal and to heal those around you (family).  It will be very hard, there is nothing easy about what you are about to go through (if you want too).  Be real!  Be present! and be open to confront your demons!  

You have to take the time for yourself and to help yourself!  I know this because I want to help everyone else!  I want to fix everything around me so my day will be ok!  I always try to do things so my wife does not need to so I can make myself me ok.

We are here if you need to vent!  and you can do this!

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Guys I appreciate y'all

Shrekthetank1

After or during this type of treatment how did it make you feel after the session?

I felt no different  only curious of what or how I should have reacted?

I never thought about the war during this  EMDR session? she ask me what I was thinking about..I said well nothing in particular...

I did not know she was doing this to stir up the demons..or for me to remember the trauma I went through  because at the time of the trauma I never knew it would have this type of effect on me today..the night mares and night seats and not sleeping is enough to go through for any veteran  and  this rapid eye movement I never really thought about any of that...(am I suppose to?) during this type therapy?  I think I had sudden flash backs but I never mention them to her.....I was thinking she wanted me to have or think good thoughts...like I said I was confused as to what to think about during this test?

so this next session were going to do it again and again these next 8 weeks or so...what is your thought on this and as for as what I am thinking or what I was thinking about during this test...should I go back to my stressors?  I get very emotional when I remember things back in the War  or Vietnam Conflict...I realize I have no control over what happen or what I was odred to do  I did it and moved on at that time. I have a lot of guilt as to why I was saved and my buddys were not .its hard to get over things like that .

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• Adminstrator

So for me during them I do try to go back to those places.  This way I can remember and then get help to deal with them.  

The more you go into it the deeper they will go.  The therapist probably started out slow with you.  I think this is common as they don't want to just overwhelm you the first time.

https://www.emdria.org/page/120

Here are the 8 phases of EMDR.  Follow the path as they are taught how to do this.  It will get very hard as I have said and dealing with some of that crap is super hard!  

The biggest part for me is to realize the stressor and then reassure yourself there is no danger!  It takes 30 days to learn a behavior.  So give yourself a lot of time and slowly work your way into dealing with your stressors.  You can do this!

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Shrek  I'll sure try.

I heard from other vets we may not get over all the things that happen but learn the tools to cope.

This Therapist is pretty good she goes at my pace  so-to speak  we did some very hard stuff earlier  back last summer  if I can do that  I can do this.

I seem to click pretty good with this therapist.

I just needed to know the reason for this type therapy.

Thanks a Million Shrek and everyone!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you guys = Shrekthetank1 , GB Army, Vetquest, Vync, Dustoff11, Richard1954, (  (Geekysquid?...AWOL ? )  do a great job here...We all appreciate your help here on Hadit.

you guys do an OUTSTANDING JOB HELPING OUT.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK.