Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Combined claims and C&P exams

Rate this question

Ranmic

Question

I filed two separate claims one in Oct and the other in Nov 2019 and the VA combined them into one claim in Nov.  I had a C&P exam today for one of my claims but no movement or update on the second one.  I realize these things take time and I'm not rushing it but more curious.  Do all disability %'s have to have a C&P exam or does the VA ever award just based off of your submitted evidence?  I'm guessing I should hear something soon on my second submission but with all the evidence I submitted from my copies of my service record and private records I was wondering if a C&P necessary.

As always thank you all for your help to date on all my questions.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

C and P exams are at the discretion of VA.  

If you have either of these, below, you probably wont get a c and p exam:

1.  Lets say you have all you need:  diagnosis, in service event, and nexus, as well as your symptoms being documented.  You should not need a c and p exam.  

2.  You have a situation where "a c and p exam" wont change the outcome.  Example:  You have a dishonorable discharge and are not eligible for VA benefits.  No exam will be ordered.  Example 2.  You have a good discharge, as well as a diagnosis, BUT you do "not" have an in service event or aggravation.  In this case no exam would be ordered as a doctor can not provide a "nexus" when there was no in service event.  In other words a nexus connects an "in service event" with your current diagnosis, but it you have no in service event documented, then you cant have a nexus.  

Very good synopsis by Broncovet.  I would just say that sometimes the VA takes it's time getting C&P's.  If you do not fall under the criteria that Broncovet laid out it might just be the VA taking their time and drawing things out.  The VA sometimes seems to take pleasure in making us veterans wait. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Agree with broncovet and vetquest. The only thing I would add is if all your evidence is in order as brocovet said, if your evidence on your symptoms is somewhat dated the VA might verywell schedule the C&P anyway so be sure your symptoms haven't changed. (They might overlook it if it is likely your symptoms have gotten WORSE, as that might provide your disability claim to be rated higher. They might not want to jeopardize the chance to low-ball you!) But when you combine or add a claim to an existing claim, it just adds another layer of confusion and delay to the process.