VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I go about getting my Comp payments audited?

Rate this question

WendyinOhio

Question

I was 10% VA rated since leaving active duty.  I am a serving reservist.  At some point back in the early 2010's I was upgraded to 30% VA rated and then in 2016 I was upgraded to 60% VA rated.  I have some VA compensation withheld each year to offset the reserve pay I receive.  However, I believe the computations for both the last increase in VA compensation and several years of the withholding has been calculated incorrectly.  I wrote to the VA and explained where I thought the mistakes had happened and asked them to audit my history.  I got a letter back saying they do not do that.  Who can I request an audit from?

Edited by WendyinOhio

• HadIt.com Elder

Wendy I don't know but to me it sounds more like a DOD rater than a VA problem. Can you go to your personnel dept. on base and see what the process is?

My (unsubstantiated) opinion? Ask again.  Ask someone else this time.  Did the VA send you a letter "denying an audit?"  (Maybe, but I doubt it).  If they did send you a letter, you can appeal a denial.  

Probably you have someone on the phone who said, "we dont do that".  Its almost certainly a false statement.  

So, try an IRIS email..request an audit.  

Then try the 800 number.  

Finally, try the White house hotline. 

Remember, these people are trying to get rid of you the fastest way possible and that is often by lying.  Or, in many cases ignorance.  

I call it the "teenager" method:  When Mom says no, Ask Dad.  When Mom and Dad say no, Ask Grandma.  When Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa say no, ask your teacher.  If your teacher says yes, then tell mom that "Your teacher says We are supposed to ....."

Edited by broncovet

This could be a DOD problem but it is unusual-

The VARO ignored my letters requesting audits many times in the past.

I asked the IG to do a recent audit, as well as two VARO directors and the VISN District Counsel.

The audit is in process and being done by St. Paul- far from those two ROs where past error were made.

I sent to all above a copy of an additional audit ofmy DIC and other issues, that revealed evidence of errors to the tune of more than 98 thousand they had thought they didn't have to pay me, but as this separate audit shows, they finally did pay.

Shrekthe tank made a good point- I have been doing research for someone who might join the reserves- I will try to find out the VA  comp requirements

I apologize for not being familiar with how best to respond to each of you separately.  So I will add some info here.

The Reserves has done a much better job in allowing medical issues that Active Duty allows.  In the past there was a "threshold" allowed (I believe it was 60%) before you were no longer eligible to serve in the reserves.  However, many people coming off active duty with acceptable medical conditions while on active duty, were not eligible to participate in the reserves.  So those standards have changed to more closely align with active duty standards.

And yes, I agree it is a matter of asking the right office for the audit.   I do not know many of the acronyms you guys have used so I apologize.  I will read the link that was recommended by the Elder.  I will also keep tabs on this thread.