Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Question

Hello all,

I've been a big fan of this site and would like to thank all for the great insights pertaining to all.

My questions follows..

I filed a NOD in receipt on July 30th 2018 as va.gov showed. It was for a DRO review. I filed for 3 contentions for increase and TDIU. Which always shows as 2 different claims on VA.GOV site.

My current rating before NOD was at 90%. For total of 12 rated issues.

Recently this week showed up on VA.gov and ebenefits as granted 100 TDIU but on ebene I did the math..

50%, 10%x5, 20%x4, 30%x2.. This should add up to 95% which makes it 100 schedular so I thought... Below are what I saw from ebene. I'm just confused coz if 100 by schedular the TDIU should be moot.. Also, my disability on ebene shows 100 disabled. I want to have 100 schedular. Haven't received the brown envelope yet with decision letter. No retro pay yet.

I'm bad at pasting all info from ebene on this post...

Ebene benefit summary breaks down with checks:

1. You have one or more serv related disabilities. YES

2. Your combined serv connected disabilities are 100%.

3. Your current monthly award is:  effective date of last change amount and date.. $4158.32 / 12/01/2019.

4. You are being paid at 100% due to your unemployability due to your service disability. YES

5. You are considered t&p so let due to your serv connection. Effective dates of your T&P disability dates are 10/07/2017.

6. You are being paid SMC due to your service type severity..etc... YES

Everything here looks like tdiu 100 but my total math on my ebene shows 95 which us 100. My retro is another thing..if schedular..it seems as since my increase on the NOD was effective on 11/27/2019 that made me 100 by va math and the TDIU stated above was for 10/07/2017 effective.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by 19k4life

What does your benefit letter day, that you can Print from ebenefits under documents? 

Ebene benefit letter states.

Gross and net pay same..$4158.32

Effective date: Dec 1st, 2019

Combines Evaluation: 100 percent

My DRO appeal was in receipt on 07/30/2018.. It just closes with decision on 02/21/2020.. Never received a phone call or any letters..Just not sure if it's schedular or tdiu..but all signs looks to be tdiu...just weird how my disabilities adds up to 95 and shows 100 which I thought to be schedular. 

For those in dro appeal as me maybe curious of timeline..

I did a c&p exam as soon as I filedmy NOD..very shortly afterwards.

Had a favorable exam with a va Examiner who spent a lot of time talking and giving me his phone# if I ever needed help filling out any forms.. It was mainly increase my back and diabetes increase.. I was really low balled prev with only 10% for my back by my Examiner.. Now only increased to 20 but its hard to get 40 now with all the rom and difficult criteria.

Wish I knew how to post my c&p exam on here to help anyone with similar issues.

Which VA benefit letter are you printing? Is it there one sheet you can pick what you want to print with check boxes? If so, use that one and sender all the boxes. If it looks close to this you are scheduler.i have dependents so my amounts are slightly different than yours.

35A8D831-A4F0-46F5-B2CA-060DB989EB1E.png

Edited by brokensoldier244th

Yes.. Same letter just different amt and dates..

My DRO appeal was in receipt on 07/30/2018.. It just closes with decision on 02/21/2020.. Never received a phone call or any letters..Just not sure if it's schedular or tdiu..but all signs looks to be tdiu...just weird how my disabilities adds up to 95 and shows 100 which I thought to be schedular. 

For those in dro appeal as me maybe curious of timeline..

I did a c&p exam as soon as I filedmy NOD..very shortly afterwards.

Had a favorable exam with a va Examiner who spent a lot of time talking and giving me his phone# if I ever needed help filling out any forms.. It was mainly increase my back and diabetes increase.. I was really low balled prev with only 10% for my back by my Examiner.. Now only increased to 20 but its hard to get 40 now with all the rom and difficult criteria.

Wish I knew how to post my c&p exam on here to help anyone with similar issues.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Punisher
      I need some guidance or suggestions from the experts.
      I am currently at 100% schedular (temporary, not P&T). My higher Service connections are:
      Dermatitis with Psoriasis (also claimed as psoriasis guttate, eczema/dermatitis)    = 60% Migraine including migraine variants - also claimed as decreased concentration    = 50% Residuals of traumatic brain injury (TBI)    = 40% Insomnia disorder - also claimed as sleep disorder and insomnia    10% and a dozen other 10% ratings for tinnitus, arthritis, degenerative disc/joint disease/lumbar spine, and as well as injuries to every joint. I submitted a PTSD claim and it was moving right along and I'd already completed all C&P exams for it as well as the ones for another set of RFE claims the VA submitted for three other conditions (Migraines, TBI, Insomnia) that are still temporary ratings.
      Now, two of the three RFE claims show as complete and the VA website says they sent a letter; however, one of the conditions (TBI) got moved over to my PTSD claim and the status went from the exams being complete and in the last phase or so, with a projected completion date sometime this month to December!  On top of that, the VA started a claim for "IU" on my behalf without asking me, so they also added the couple of VA forms required with the due date of 7/31/2020.
      The IU part might not sound bad, but I was already 100% (temporary unfortunately) without the PTSD service connection and I believe I made a compelling case for at least 50% of that, if not 70% as I met most of that criteria.  So, I've always heard, read, seen in videos, and even been told directly that when someone is at 100%, albeit temporary, it's not wise to apply for TDIU since it pays the same AND the VA may then reduce other percentages.  Also, as you know, it can be easier for them to later remove the TDIU classification for technicalities.  Lastly, those forms are the worst part for me.  I DO NOT want to have to fill those out, especially the one you have to bring to your former employer.  My company was located off-base, so they never even observed my daily performance.  The military supervisors who were over me have since moved on as it's been over a year.  Finally, I usually burned up PTO to cover all the time away for appts and physical therapy, which they knew about, but as for PTSD issues I was going through, I sure as hell did not disclose to them as it was none of their business, super private, embarrassing, and I would have been worried about my security clearance!
      The only thing about canceling the IU is that I don't want it to look like I AM capable of pursuing "gainful employment."  I would just definitely prefer to retain my 100%, which should be even stronger with a PTSD condition/connection added to my current list.
      What is your take on all this?  Do you know if there's a way that I can have them close or remove the IU portion and the required forms?  Besides not wanting to apply for that or do the forms, I also do not want this to hold the rest of my claim(s) up or give them an easier way to assign lower percentages. 
      Any help would be much appreciated.
    • By 1Cavvet
      In 2017 I received my award letter and it stated that I was tdiu permanent and total with no future exams. Since then I have never received anything in the mail from the VA asking whether I'm working or not or earned any income.
      I got curious about this and read up on a few posts that they now verify if there's any earned income through Social Security and IRS.

My question is in 2019 I earned $600 helping an elderly family friend around her house. I cleaned her yard, cut the grass and things of that nature on the days I felt well enough to do it. It was an hour here and there. The total for the year was 600. Well now fast-forward to 2020 it's tax time and since I earned $600 I filed that on my taxes under household worker. I did not realize that I was not required to file taxes under a certain amount of earned income.

Nevertheless the taxes have been filed and now I'm worried that this could compromise my tdiu permanent and total status even though I have read up on marginal and or gainful employment criteria and the 600 earned is way under the poverty threshold. 

I guess most of the worry comes from the conflicting information I read on posts some say that if you make under a certain amount of money under the poverty threshold and are not involved in gainful employment or your employment is marginal then you really don't don't have anything to worry about.
      On the flip side I've read plenty of post where people say if you work and income is reported you'll be electronically flagged and lose your tdiu so I really need some help and guidance please on how this could affect me and what I should do if I receive something in the mail from the VA.
    • By arizonavet85
      I did lot of research for timelines while waiting for my hearing and for what to expect after my hearing. I was legacy appeals and chose not to RAMP in Feb 2019. I hope this does help any other veteran wanting to know the process and hopefully the timeline helps. This is my experience for appeal with the VA and as always every case is unique and different. Im willing to follow up with any questions people might have. Tried to get lawyers involved but they said they wouldn’t touch my case (all the major ones you would find on google). So I just kept pushing along using the DAV for insight to the RO when needed or to file correspondence for the case.
      You know the rating you deserve!, the BVA law judge literally said VA erred and this should have been granted in 2014 but the C &P examiner failed to do their job accurately in my July 2014 exam. My follow up C & P exam conducted in 2017 warranted a 70% rating and the examiner noted everything correctly (however since the case was on appeal RO could not use the evidence to rate me at that time the exam was completed).  Best Advice I can give is KNOW YOUR CASE! Know one knows your case like you and when talking to the judge, it helped I knew what the criteria was so I could talk to those points. File everything on-time, accurately, and with a way to show it was given to the VA. Find a hobby because worrying, over planning, and checking ebennies 20 times a day will drive you crazy. Don’t let your claim fall through the cracks but know that every day you worry, you drain yourself! Finally, NEVER GIVE UP!!!
      May 2014 Filed a claim for increase
      July 2014 C&P Exam at the VA
      October 2014 Claimed Denied
      October 2014 Filed for Decision Review Official to review case (legacy appeals)
      August 2015 DRO Denied increase
      August 2015 Filed NOD
      October 2015 Filed Form 9
      December 2016 Case sent to BVA
      August 2017 C & P exam scheduled (non-static condition; this was the date of my revaluation)
      December 2019 BVA Hearing at RO
      January 30, 2020 Called WH hotline (not sure it did anything however I saw traction once I did)
      Feb 10, 2020 Case was given to judge and expedited due to homelessness
      March 10, 2020 Decision Made (Grant specific rating and effective date since it was an increase appeal)
      March 17, 2020 Ebennies was updated reflecting new rating
      TBA: waiting backpay but my rating has been reflected for April indefinitely
    • By Anharris
      Hello,
      Quick background; I injured my back severely in Kuwait in 2013(I was 22) no proper medical exam or treatment at the peek of the injury just pumped full of pain meds. Once back in the states it still took months before Someone decided I actually needed an xray just to be told I was fine. There were times where I’d experience temporary paralysis below the waist, daily pain levels above 5, numbness, pinching and burning sensations in lower back and to be told nothing was wrong made me want to give up and suffer in silence because no1 seem to take me serious. However the pain was so intense I found myself in the ER sometimes twice a week with strange knots in my back that were shrugged off as muscle spasms and just given more pain meds. I was given a 10% rating after separating in 2014. I didn’t know what that meant or why. Almost 7yrs later the pain is worse back and forth with the VA with treatment that either aggravates or just doesn’t work and I recently discovered that I was diagnosed with sciatic nerve pain BUT it stated it didn’t come from work. I couldn’t believe it. I now live in MD near DC and although terribly discouraged feel I need to fight what seems to be a system that hasn’t cared for me properly since day 1 and appeal. The question is. IS IT WORTH IT? I paid out of pocket for X-rays and made some discoveries about my back that make much more since than what the VA tells me. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
    • By MO2VET
      So I was recently granted TDIU and noticed a large lump sum deposit into my DIRECT DEPOSIT on 9/16/2019. Well that account cannot hold large sums of money over $10,000 so I provided them with the new account information 9/17/2019. Well my award is STILL suspended and I'm frustrated and broke. I have two kids with one of them being 19months old.  I have no food and $40 to my name.  I'm two months behind on rent and my lights will be shut off in less than a week. Of course, the VA is taking their precious time to un-suspend my award.  Im calling everyone I can including the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to see if I can get it expedited. Anyone know of this or has went through this. What can I expect and any advice>  Thanks.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
      • 5 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 3 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 4 replies
    • VA has a special where we can ask questions TODAY, at 3:00 to "people that matter?"  Someone should ask why we can not ask them questions EVERY day, why today only? (This is a big problem with VA..the 800 number often does not give specific answers).  We should have people in VA who "solve Vets problems" like Allison Hickey did a few years ago. 
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines