Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Troy success rate

Rate this question

Newdisabledvet

Question

I was terminated from my job because of my service connected. I failed the fitness for duty test. I am currently rated at 70% for bipolar. 

I sent the VA my termination letter as well as the copy of the failed fitness for duty report. I made 41k a year. This all happened very quickly. The report clearly states i am a danger to myself and others. I can't work with others. I will be on medication for the rest of my life. As well as therapy.

What are the chances of being approved for tdiu?  I am really worried. 

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You should be able to get tdiu "if" a doctor opined that you are unable to work due to SC conditions.  Read your file to find out if your doc said that.    Without reading your file and know whether or not a doc said that, we dont know what your chances are.  You can read it tho, and you tell us if/when it said that.  

I was also terminated from my job for service connected disabilities.  You should request TDIU and pursue this case through to the end.  Sometimes the VA does not like giving TDIU and will come up with all kinds of ways to deny you.  Just keep plugging and do not get discouraged.  You need to fight until they do what is right.  Do not worry though, just know you need to do what needs to be done.  If you were working outside of the military for a long enough length of time to be eligible for SSA I would apply for SSA too.  Otherwise I would apply for SSDI.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Get into VA Voc-Rehab,,, they can test you evaluate you and see if there is any type job out there for you?

...with have being diagnose for 70% BI-POLAR PTSD I would think that it will be hard for them to fit you or train you for anything  you can do that don't require you to be around people, if they can't find you anything you can do, Normally the Voc -Rehab counselors with write you a letter stating that it is not feasible to retrain this Veteran at this time DUE TO HIS SERVICE CONNECTED DISABILITY AT 70% BI-POLAR PTSD

..Apply for the TDIU AND SUBMIT THIS LETTER TO THE VA ATTACH IT TO YOUR APPLICATION FOR TDIU.

That letter is Gold FOR QUALIFYING for TDIU.

but with that said the best concrete evidence you can submit needs to come from a Qualified Dr that has read your medical records and examine you & stating that you can't do any type of work due to your S.C. Disability.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I submitted my termination letter and my failed fitness for duty exam that stated clearly I am a danger to myself and others because of my bipolar in the work setting. Also i provided a statement from discussing the fact i am not allowed anywhere near that job. Along with a document showing my fmla leave dates.

I hope all that helps get me tdiu. I am currently unemployed but prior to all this i worked a state job for 5 years before the stress of it all caused a full blown mania espisode.

The evidence you indicated is insufficient.  You are going to need a doctor to state that you are unable to maintain SGE (Substantial Gainful Employment) due to Service connected conditions.  If you have this, then you are good to go.  

You may also need voc rehab letter, as buck so stated.  

Edited by broncovet

Good catch broncovet.  You need a nexus to link your service connected disability to losing your job.  They have to say it is at least likely as not that your service connected disability is the reason you lost your job and cannot work.  I had a doctor's letter and it did not have this information in it and it took many years to get TDIU, that was before I knew of this site.  As buck52 stated to you a voc rehab letter is also a very strong bit of evidence in your favor.  I also did not have this.