VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IBS presumtive?

Rate this question

SPO

Question

I have been recently diagnosed with IBS.  They have already verified through colonoscopy, blood-work, and stool sample that my issues are not cause by anything such as chron's or ulcerative colotis, so it is a functional condition with no definite explanation as to what started it.  I did deploy to Iraq 3 times from 2005-2007, for a total of about 22 months.  I'm not 100% if I can file this as a presumptive claim since I've been out for 11 years and the issues.  How would I go about submitting as presumptive?  As usual, everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

• Lead Moderator

So you have done everything you need to do to show you have IBS.  You also meet the presumptive list to make this claim!  

There used to be when you filed and I think there still is a list of dualities when you open it and it will ask if it is a presumptive  disability.

I would go there asap and file and get the ball rolling!  I think there is still a year on the time you have to file, but each month that passes is a month you miss out on!  

Luckily I already submitted a Intent to file while I was waiting to get all my testing done.  As far as what I need from my doctor, will just a dbq suffice? and I guess in this case she doesn't need to do a nexus since its presumptive?  

Please keep in mind that IBS can be service connected as directly and secondary not just as presumptive.  It really depends on the evidence in your records and or any nexus and medical rationale.

Thanks guys,  I don't believe I have any significant information in my SMR to justify a direct service connection.  The symptoms I've been having have been going on for about 1-2 years now, so it started about 9-10 years after discharge from active duty.   I believe I would qualify a the 30% level since I have issues everyday, sometimes multiple times a day.