Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IBS presumtive?

Rate this question

SPO

Question

I have been recently diagnosed with IBS.  They have already verified through colonoscopy, blood-work, and stool sample that my issues are not cause by anything such as chron's or ulcerative colotis, so it is a functional condition with no definite explanation as to what started it.  I did deploy to Iraq 3 times from 2005-2007, for a total of about 22 months.  I'm not 100% if I can file this as a presumptive claim since I've been out for 11 years and the issues.  How would I go about submitting as presumptive?  As usual, everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

• Adminstrator

Below is exactly what you should be putting into remarks.  Like For veterans with daily IBS episodes of diarrhea, constipation, or severe gas and bloating, this could be the most appropriate rating.  This is my issues as it always goes back and forth and it just sucks.  I know it will be weird talking about it, but you have to tell them how bad it is!  Also there are more issue which can be onset because of this like hemorrhoids and muscles not able to keep things closed.  Sadly this might not ends at just IBS.  

Under the 0% criteria, a veteran’s Irritable Bowel Syndrome must be considered mild. For VA, “mild” translates into “disturbances of bowel function with occasional episodes of abdominal distress.” The VA does not define “occasional episodes” so veterans and attorneys can argue what should be considered occasional for that veteran.

In order to qualify for the 10% criteria, the Irritable Bowel Syndrome must be considered moderate with “frequent episodes of bowel disturbance with abdominal distress.” Similar to “occasional episodes,” the VA does not define what it considers as “frequent episodes” of IBS. Bowel disturbance can be considered episodes of diarrhea or severe gas and bloating.

The highest rating for IBS is 30% and is characterized as severe with “diarrhea, or alternating diarrhea and constipation, with more or less constant abdominal distress.” This is the highest rating you can get for IBS through the VA and veterans must show that their IBS causes them to be almost constantly in pain. For veterans with daily IBS episodes of diarrhea, constipation, or severe gas and bloating, this could be the most appropriate rating.

Edited by shrekthetank1

5 minutes ago, shrekthetank1 said:

The highest rating for IBS is 30% and is characterized as severe with “diarrhea, or alternating diarrhea and constipation, with more or less constant abdominal distress.” This is the highest rating you can get for IBS through the VA and veterans must show that their IBS causes them to be almost constantly in pain. For veterans with daily IBS episodes of diarrhea, constipation, or severe gas and bloating, this could be the most appropriate rating.

Do you mean put this quote exactly how it is written in the remarks?

This is what I was planning on adding as a statement in support.  Any thoughts/suggestions?

"I have been experiencing gastrointestinal issues for no less than 2 years.  The symptoms have included intense stomach cramping that regularly interrupt daily activities due to the level of pain.  It has also included severe diarrhea on a daily basis, including unexpected urgency to use the restroom. This condition has caused more or less constant abdominal distress. The symptoms occur at least once every day and regularly occur multiple times each day.  The issues have been diagnosed as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, with no direct defined cause.  This condition should be considered as presumptive to my service as a gulf war veteran in 2005, 2006, and 2007 for approximately 22 months of total time deployed in Iraq, Kuwait, and Qatar"

Also, at this point with the DBQ changes, should I wait for them to return the doc to get me the DBQ, or just submit with the medical records and statement?

Edited by SPO