Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange on aircraft carrier.

Rate this question

John E. Etter

Question

Hi.

I know someone who was aboard the USS Hancock (CVA 19) with me who was ship’s company in ordinance, in 1966-67. He claims that he had to “mix Agent Orange by hand”. He is now collecting 100% disability from the VA for prostate cancer because of it. He also claimed PTSD, alleging he saw his best friend walk into a prop on an A1 Skyraider. He had no such friend. I saw it happen and told him about it.

First I don’t think we had Agent Orange on board and it was premixed as well. We didn’t disperse it or off load it to Vietnam. Am I correct? 

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

There’s no way he got granted service connection for prostate cancer due to AO based on his story alone. As shrek pointed out, the ship need only be within 12 nautical miles of Vietnam. So, if he was on the ship within the correct timeframe, the ship was close enough to Vietnam, and he has prostate cancer then he would be granted service connection. I think even just having AO on board could be enough too if it could be proven that the ship was carrying it. 

As for the PTSD, if the incident happened on board the ship, I don’t think it would even matter if he witnessed it or not. 

6 hours ago, John E. Etter said:

Hi.

I know someone who was aboard the USS Hancock (CVA 19) with me who was ship’s company in ordinance, in 1966-67. He claims that he had to “mix Agent Orange by hand”. He is now collecting 100% disability from the VA for prostate cancer because of it. He also claimed PTSD, alleging he saw his best friend walk into a prop on an A1 Skyraider. He had no such friend. I saw it happen and told him about it.

First I don’t think we had Agent Orange on board and it was premixed as well. We didn’t disperse it or off load it to Vietnam. Am I correct? 

Thanks.

If you have direct knowledge, report it. Fraudulent claims hurt VA funding, liars should be turned in and prosecuted.

• Adminstrator

Ok so if you know for a fact he put this information into the VA and have seen it (and he is not just telling a story) then you for sure should report it.  Now regardless of how he got the cancer, I believe it is linked to a specific type of cancer?  Were you within the 12 miles off shore of Vietnam?  

What I am getting at with the cancer is regardless of what he said, and the VA is not just one to take some BS story.  The VA will verify things to make sure they are accurate.  Mixing AO on a ship does sound a bit farfetched.  

It does sound like he made up the PTSD and you have first hand knowledge of the incident and you know he did not see it.  If I knew for sure he did not see it I would report this!  

I would be careful going down this road, and if you know for sure he is being fraudulent then do the right thing!

The main thing would be to make sure that you are 100 percent sure that you know you know you know that the scenarios that you are talking about are the exact same. It is one thing to state that someone is committing fraud it is something else to prove it and can cause undue hardship to a veteran and his/her family.  I am only on the side of caution and not sure if you have a hidden agenda because anything is possible.  Can you say that you spent every day, all day and night with this individual while aboard? It seems that you are asking question and not sure for yourself. "First I don’t think we had Agent Orange on board and it was premixed as well. We didn’t disperse it or off load it to Vietnam. Am I correct"?  I am very curious why you are asking this question, I thought you knew?  I don't know you, I don't know this individual but you are asking this board what you should do and even you are not 100 percent sure and you are about to ruin this individuals life.  As stated above, VA has to investigate all claims and yes, there are individuals that commit fraud but is this individual one of them? Part of the problem is we veterans open our mouths too much and someone don't like what we say or how we live our lives. Please understand that even your accusation could put this individuals life in hardship, so before you decide to act, make sure you know more than just your accusation.  Please don't feel that I am accusing you or attacking you but veterans have enough problems fighting VA. You do what you feel you have to do just be more sure then what you are now.

• HadIt.com Elder

I BELIEVE HE WOULD BE CONSIDERED BLUE WATER NAVY VETERAN  AND NOW THEY DO HAVE THE PRESUMPTION  A.O. CLAIMS  NOW.

AND CANCER IS IN ON THE LIST  INCLUDING PROSTATE CANCER

THE SHIP HE WAS ON AND THE LOCATION WOULD BE ALL HE NEEDS TO PROVE.  &  MEDICAL RECORDS WILL SPEAK FOR THEM SELF ON A CASE LIKE THIS.

• HadIt.com Elder

MAYBE I DON'T TRULY UNDERSTAND WHAT QUESTION IS BEING ASK?

IF THIS IS A QUESTION ASKING IF A VETERAN CAN GET  A.O. CLAIM BASED ON THE LOCATION OF HIS SHIP?  IT DON'T MATTER IF THE SHIP HE WA SON WAS CARING THE A.O.  THAT IS EVEN MORE PRECISE EVIDENCE  BUT AS LONG AS HIS SHIP WAS WITH IN THE 12 MILE RAGE  HE SHOULD BE ABLE OR BE ELIGIBLE FOR HIS CLAIM.

AS FOR AS THE TRAUMA FOR PTSD   HE  WAS A WITNESS TO.

HIS BUDDY WALKING INTO AN AIRCRAFT PROP...HE WOULD NEED HIS BUDDY NAME & ALSO BUDDY LETTERS FOR THAT AND THE DATE/LOCATION  IT HAPPEN, THAT WOULD BE TRAUMATIZING TO ANYONE.